Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 12:26 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Why can't they just follow DC? We basically have the same infrastructure as DC!

http://3k8eyz1gjynh15p4wlckz111eg5.w...-Metro-map.png

DC

ATL

There, look at that map and look at Atlanta roads. EXACTLY THE SAME, and that metro runs very tight, and efficiently in DC.
What are those numbers by some of the MARTA stations? They look like ridership numbers but don't coincide with the ones here very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 12:43 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Nice map primaltech. What did you make this with?

And I'm wondering could the airport line be extended south through Clayton County, if MARTA built it that way.
Thanks! I used Edraw vector program. It was easy to learn.

I think the Red line should one day go through South Fulton along 85, and the Gold line would split off and go to Riverdale, which isn't covered by the main Clayton line.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
What are the current ridership numbers per station? Who is getting the most taps? Where are riders tapping on the most and where are they tapping out the most?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
What are the current ridership numbers per station? Who is getting the most taps? Where are riders tapping on the most and where are they tapping out the most?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._rail_stations

Entry numbers by station are currently those from 2013.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
5 points, lindbergh center, and airport.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:04 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
I found these. They look interesting:

Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM

376 posts, read 330,305 times
These are impressive - #2 looks awesome. I do think the Blue Line needs to be extended to Six Flags though.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Aight, dragging up an old thread for some silly thought experiments...

Let's start with the Perimeter:

Now add in the existing high-capacity transit:

Now the BeltLine:

Clifton Corridor:

I-20 East and West

Connect 400:

Streetcars:

And last, but not least, the Clayton Commuter rail line:

Cool! So, not a bad looking system, and we can kinda see how certain routes are filling in gaps in the ITP map. We can also see, despite the geographic distortion for graphics' sake, where new gaps are showing up... (notice I forgot the Northside Dr. line, but it's ITB, so not too worried about it since it doesn't fill in OTB service gaps...)

So now I start musing on filling in those gaps, starting with extending the I-20 East BRT route west, to turn down Cascade Rd. :

Next comes the Gold Line extension up I-85. Not filling in ITP service gaps, but important none the less:

Now for a simply MASSIVE Green Line expansion along the rail lines to the east and west, following the Tucker and Perry routings to some extent. It kinda mirrors the BRT route along the Blue Line axis.

Of course, the Grey Line, mirroring the Gold Line in the north along I-75, and the Campbelton Light Rail Line in the south along the rail line to I-675:

Finally, add in the Palmetto Commuter Rail line:

That gives us, at least rather close to, a decently symmetrical service system, using hub and spoke (especially if you consider I-285 as a potential transit corridor), as well as funneling, and even giving more service to the dense core. I AM missing all the other commuter rail lines that would reach further out into the metro, which only add to the OTP service:

Edit: Bonus GIF of the first few images!

Last edited by fourthwarden; 12-27-2016 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 08:26 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Interesting thought process. But that grey line in the southeast is not needed. Very few people that way. Same for towards Palmetto, although it could be quite useful if one of the lines extended SW to I-85. The lines ending at the airport just don't work well for commuters from the south, southeast and southwest. Clayton line helps some with the south and southeast.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Interesting thought process. But that grey line in the southeast is not needed. Very few people that way. Same for towards Palmetto, although it could be quite useful if one of the lines extended SW to I-85. The lines ending at the airport just don't work well for commuters from the south, southeast and southwest. Clayton line helps some with the south and southeast.
I suppose I might should say that the thought process was with the goal of distributing high-capacity service, in some form, as equally as possible through ITP. That, I reasoned, would allow, at least, the base infrastructure for a somewhat symmetrical distribution of development ITP.

Of course, in my thought world, lines would be prioritized with demand at the time and policies enacted to encourage growth along future corridors.

CoA is actually kinda starting with this, where the city has a series of corridors where it wishes to concentrate growth and development. Something similar would precede each new line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta