Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I think you accidentally posted a working copy of this map. For instance, there are literally no new stations on the top-end Perimeter.
That's exactly what I meant by preview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Here's a preview of the new never-gonna-happen map. Any constructive suggestions / criticisms welcome.
There's a station near my subdivision.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
As long as this fairy tale thread is, Id love to hear an official announcement of a 39th station finally being built and opened. Marta has not added a thing since 2000. 1979 to 2000 is what 21yrs? And now almost 16 years after the last station opening we get no more additions? Forget about Cobb and Gwinnett, build more stations in Dekalb, Fulton and now Clayton. Those counties should be the only ones being discussed. Lets kill the fantasy talk already and focus again on the folks that DESERVES more transit because they already PAY for it.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
As long as this fairy tale thread is, Id love to hear an official announcement of a 39th station finally being built and opened. Marta has not added a thing since 2000. 1979 to 2000 is what 21yrs? And now almost 16 years after the last station opening we get no more additions? Forget about Cobb and Gwinnett, build more stations in Dekalb, Fulton and now Clayton. Those counties should be the only ones being discussed. Lets kill the fantasy talk already and focus again on the folks that DESERVES more transit because they already PAY for it.
Actual planning by MARTA is doing exactly this. There is no harm though in planning for service in places that are currently outside the MARTA service area, especially if it increases the possibility for those counties to approve MARTA sooner rather than later.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Good points. The biggest wild card right now is federal funding. How transit-friendly the next Congress or two will be will make a big difference, I think, in the odds of having at least one of the two major rail expansions be fully funded and under construction within the next decade.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:35 PM

244 posts, read 168,683 times
Gold line extended from Doraville to Norcross then to Gwinnett place. This wouldnt take that long to complete actually maybe less than 10 yrs.

Purple line to Kennesaw state.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:36 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Actual planning by MARTA is doing exactly this. There is no harm though in planning for service in places that are currently outside the MARTA service area, especially if it increases the possibility for those counties to approve MARTA sooner rather than later.
Actually they've just been spending millions the last 25 years planning, not doing. I don't know how much Atlanta has spent, but I know Houston wrote off $168 million in expenses for two lines that got delayed by politics-and that was only over 10 years. I'm sure its similarly big numbers for Atlanta. They are on at least the 3rd study I know of for the North line extension.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Actually they've just been spending millions the last 25 years planning, not doing. I don't know how much Atlanta has spent, but I know Houston wrote off $168 million in expenses for two lines that got delayed by politics-and that was only over 10 years. I'm sure its similarly big numbers for Atlanta. They are on at least the 3rd study I know of for the North line extension.
Studies have to be done for projects to qualify for FTA funds. The studies do expire and must be redone.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:43 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
What about cost overruns?

It seems like a lot of infrastructure projects wind up going vastly over budget and taking a whole lot longer than anticipated.

And does it make sense to expand when we already have a huge back log of deferred maintenance?

Quote:
Most planners believe that extending [Boston's] iconic Green Line from its current terminus at Lechmere station in Cambridge northward through the adjacent city of Somerville is a very good idea. It’s one of the basic expansions of the MBTA system—others include connecting the Red and Blue lines, or extending the Blue Line to Lynn—that is an exercise in building on an excellent century-old network. Just a tweak, with huge returns for improved access, and opportunities for transit-oriented development.

The original estimate was around $500 million, in part because the subway line, for a portion of the project, could share a right-of-way used by commuter rail. The alignment otherwise darts through industrial areas currently in transition in Somerville, known around here as the Brooklyn of Boston. Even in these lean times for federal funding for transit projects, it was a no brainer.

Then came this week’s buzzkill: the cost could be closer to $3 billion, with the state on the hook for at least $1 billion of that. Nothing is easy.

But the increase in the estimated cost also raises philosophical questions of another kind. How can cities even think about building costly new infrastructure when so much time and money is needed to fix existing infrastructure? And how can they proceed when those repair projects themselves end up costing more than first anticipated—not least because cars, trains, bicycles, and pedestrians need to keep using critical infrastructure while it’s being worked on?

More...Boston's Costly Rail Projects and Crumbling Bridges Reflect America

Old 08-30-2015, 03:07 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What about cost overruns?

It seems like a lot of infrastructure projects wind up going vastly over budget and taking a whole lot longer than anticipated.

And does it make sense to expand when we already have a huge back log of deferred maintenance?
I keep hearing this come up from time to time. Where is a report that lists just how much deferred maintenance MARTA supposedly has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta