Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 09:17 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I’ve certainly not seen that level of problems in organizing or attending a Catholic funeral.
And I have been to plenty of Catholics funerals where the Catholic was long lapsed or inactive within the church or parish.
In some ways Catholicism is like a cultural or ethno-religious group, you are always a part of it, and you are always welcomed home.
Well, it depends on the country/archdiocese.

In most cases, a deathbed confession or Last Rites is required. So you might be welcomed home, but you have to ask for it before you die.

Chanting "Saint Cecilia was a who re" like this group did was a clear indication, there was no a deathbed confession or Last Rites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 04:28 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
^^^^ This. The bold is a very slippery slope.
I disagree with you. Most transgender people, and I have two in my extended family, pretty much want to be left alone and not be killed or injured for being themselves. Sure, there's a political movement towards acceptance in the transgender community, but on the whole I believe that it's much less dramatic than the media portrays it to be. I don't believe there's a wholesale movement by the transgender community to "convert" straight people through "political and cultural normalization", even if some posters do. BTW, it's interesting that almost all media concerns itself with MTF transgenders, when a large number are FTM. Perhaps they aren't as flamboyant, or even visible to the public at large.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:53 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Trying to normalize mental disorders seems to be motivated by a well-meaning concern for those afflicted since there seems to be nothing that can be done to correct the dysfunction. They have to live among us. We should not treat them with disdain or brand them with a Scarlet Letter. But we should not pretend that they ARE what they are NOT. Gender dysphoria IS a reality-denying disorder that should not be mainstreamed, IMO. That way lies madness. Conflating gender dysphoria with the LGB community has been a major category error.
Let me quote from your oft-repeated "agape love" statement:

"He is non-judgmental". "The reason non-judgmental is important is because when you judge (in the "name of G-d" or not, "righteously" or not, anyone other than yourself, you arrogantly position yourself in the place of G-d. We have no business being offended for G-d, chastising or punishing for G-d, shunning for G-d, enforcing anything for G-d, or whatever!"

Your statements above do not correlate with the non-judgmental concepts you posted. particularly when you state that gender dysphoria is a reality-denying disorder. It may seem so on the surface, but the inner person's identity differs with their appearance. Who are you to say they are wrong?

Old 04-06-2024, 09:10 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

"He is non-judgmental". "The reason non-judgmental is important is because when you judge (in the "name of G-d" or not, "righteously" or not, anyone other than yourself, you arrogantly position yourself in the place of G-d. We have no business being offended for G-d, chastising or punishing for G-d, shunning for G-d, enforcing anything for G-d, or whatever!"

Your statements above do not correlate with the non-judgmental concepts you posted. particularly when you state that gender dysphoria is a reality-denying disorder. It may seem so on the surface, but the inner person's identity differs with their appearance. Who are you to say they are wrong?
I do not judge them. Sadly, their physical body does. If it is male, nothing they "feel inside" alters that. That is why it is dangerous to pretend it does matter. It is not all that different from "feeling inside" that you are Napoleon Bonaparte. Some things "just ain't so"! I have no issues with LGB.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:08 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Well, it depends on the country/archdiocese.

In most cases, a deathbed confession or Last Rites is required. So you might be welcomed home, but you have to ask for it before you die.

Chanting "Saint Cecilia was a who re" like this group did was a clear indication, there was no a deathbed confession or Last Rites.
Thanks for the clarification.
Yes it certainly does vary between countries, and at a more local parish and diocese level too.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:00 AM
Status: "Virtue is more to be feared than vice," (set 12 days ago)

14 posts, read 6,378 times
If sane people normalize mental illness we will have more mental illness.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:31 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

If you love someone, you help them. If I see my child self-harming with cuttings or drinking, my role as a parent is to help my child stop. I'm not going to say, "no judgement, keeping cutting, drinking or whatever." It isn't placing myself in "the place of G-d." It's my responsibility as a parent to protect my child from the worse outcomes.

Quote:
Matthew 18:15-20

Dealing with a Brother who Sins

15 “If your brother sins against you, go and confront him while the two of you are alone. If he listens to you, you have won back your brother. 16 But if he doesn’t listen, take one or two others with you so that ‘every word may be confirmed by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If, however, he ignores them, tell it to the congregation. If he also ignores the congregation, regard him as an unbeliever and a tax collector.
Unfortunately for many trans children, there are bigger issues.

For the A 16-year-old student in an Oklahoma died after a “physical altercation” in a high school bathroom, went home and died by suicide. Her father, James Everette Hughes, was convicted of raping her when she was nine and molesting her for years. He served a five-year prison sentence. As a result, this poor child was lived with a grandparent. I'm sure her grandparent tried to help, but this child obviously needed more help. It's so sad, I can't imagine what this child suffered.

I think it's true for many of these trans children, it's the tip of the iceberg for issues to be addressed.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:40 PM
Status: "Virtue is more to be feared than vice," (set 12 days ago)

14 posts, read 6,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If you love someone, you help them. If I see my child self-harming with cuttings or drinking, my role as a parent is to help my child stop. I'm not going to say, "no judgement, keeping cutting, drinking or whatever." It isn't placing myself in "the place of G-d." It's my responsibility as a parent to protect my child from the worse outcomes.

Unfortunately for many trans children, there are bigger issues.

For the A 16-year-old student in an Oklahoma died after a “physical altercation” in a high school bathroom, went home and died by suicide. Her father, James Everette Hughes, was convicted of raping her when she was nine and molesting her for years. He served a five-year prison sentence. As a result, this poor child was lived with a grandparent. I'm sure her grandparent tried to help, but this child obviously needed more help. It's so sad, I can't imagine what this child suffered.

I think it's true for many of these trans children, it's the tip of the iceberg for issues to be addressed.
What fraction of trans teens suffered sexual abuse as kids? Where they looking for an explanation? This is tragic beyond comprehension!

Is the marked increased in trans and massive drug addiction among the young and homeless related to living a life that seems to have no purpose? Nihilism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality