Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:16 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

There are advantages to a simple private funeral, maybe out in nature, away from other people. Not condoning or justifying anything with this particular messy instance. But sometimes people bring on more trouble by not simply thinking things through, and finding better options. That's another messy aspect to some religions and institutions. A person gets stuck thinking he/she must rely on them and other people, which starts a problematic path that could be easily avoided.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-05-2024 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:39 AM

79 posts, read 21,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I can claim to be Baptist all I want, but I do not believe that some day when I kick the bucket that my loved ones should go to the local Baptist church in some other city and demand a funeral to their expectations.

It's obvious the deceased wasn't an active Catholic, nor was he/she a part of this local parish.
Do you believe that your love ones should ask a Baptist church to perform a sermon at your funeral?

Old 04-05-2024, 10:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night912 View Post
Do you believe that your love ones should ask a Baptist church to perform a sermon at your funeral?
I believe my funeral should be held at the church I'm active in.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:58 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My understanding was that the deceased was Catholic and desired a Catholic funeral. The deceased's friends requested it at this cathedral. The local clergy found out the person was trans and declined to provide full honors / ceremonies on that basis. So it wasn't a question of the person not being part of the church, but not in good standing according to the church's beliefs.
I think many people think that being Catholic is like an ethnic group. It actually doesn't work. Catholics are registered members of a local parish and attend the local parish's Masses on a regular basis.

If I asked St. Patrick's to give my Catholic husband a funeral Mass, the answer would be no. I would be expected to arrange his funeral at my local parish.

Quote:
BAPTISM

It is anticipated that parents seeking to have their child baptized within the Catholic Church will make arrangements at their local Catholic parish.

If circumstances suggest that the baptism of the child should take place at St. Patrick’s Cathedral (e.g. the parents were married at St. Patrick’s Cathedral), please contact

We reserve the right to exercise discretion in the processing of requests, and may choose to decline or accept them based on our internal criteria. Your understanding in this matter is appreciated.

FUNERALS

It is anticipated that the funeral for a deceased Catholic will take place in his or her local parish church. If circumstances suggest that a funeral should be requested at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the funeral home should contact the Office of the Cathedral Rector.
https://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/sacraments

When my mother died, she wished to buried in a family plot with her mother/father/cousins. She was a baptized, confirmed, married in the Catholic Church. I had to provide proof that she had a Catholic funeral Mass to the Catholic Cemetery. Otherwise, they would have refused to bury her with her family.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:08 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night912 View Post
A love one may request a funeral for a family member.

The real question is appropriateness of a church performing a funeral for a non-member?

If a Christian converts to Islam and his parents requests a Christian funeral is that appropriate?

If an Atheist dies and his parents requests a Christian funeral is that appropriate?

Old 04-05-2024, 11:18 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There are advantages to a simple private funeral, maybe out in nature, away from other people. Not condoning or justifying anything with this particular messy instance. But sometimes people bring on more trouble by not simply thinking things through, and finding better options. That's another messy aspect to some religions and institutions. A person gets stuck thinking he/she must rely on them and other people, which starts a problematic path that could be easily avoided.
In this instance, I believe that the "messy aspect" was deliberately sought as a spectacle! There was no interest in avoiding it.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:20 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In this instance, I believe that the "messy aspect" was deliberately sought as a spectacle! There was no interest in avoiding it.
I've suspected that too. The people involved surely understood the factors involved and potential issues, but went ahead with it anyway. Not that it pardons those who reacted, but this could have been avoided entirely. Who knows what got ignored or neglected while extra police were involved, traffic created, time spent chasing down the story, people arguing over this, divisions deepened, etc. People from all sides need to take more personal responsibility.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-05-2024 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 11:51 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's obvious the deceased wasn't an active Catholic, nor was he/she a part of this local parish.
You assume too much. I don't know one way or the other and neither do you. I think the salient point is that the deceased was Catholic and requested a Catholic funeral from a particularly illustrious Catholic facility ... a concept that doesn't exist for Baptists, as they are all independently governed and there's not a tendency to see particular churches as especially holy or prestigious vs any other.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:57 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have a trans granddaughter. I'll admit it didn't touch my personal life until that was revealed last year. But I take your point: LGBTW people represent about 7% of the population, whereas most 'Muricans think it's closer to 25% (the average of man-on-the-street estimates, per Gallup, being 23.6%). I would imagine trans people are a small fraction of 1%.

But the pearl-clutching of people about this reflects slippery-slope concerns and irrational beliefs about recruitment or corruption of "innocent" / straight young people.
Here's more the reality of the situation:

The obscene rise in mentally troubled adolescents over the last several years, as measured by recent publications by the CDC, especially girls, are directly proportional to the concommitant rise in transgenderism and it's advocacy in schools, higher education, sports, law, and culture in general.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0213-yrbs.html

Most ALL children who fall into the net of 'trans-cool-genderism' suffer from one or several co-morbidities like self-harming, anorexia, depression, anxiety and other personality behavior disorders. The preliminary Cass Report in the UK identified a majority of kids seeking puberty blockers and cross sex hormones as autistic or gender-non-conforming kids, the latter who were so obviously same-sex attracted that clinicians at the now defunct clinic laughingly coined the phrase "Trans the Gay Away". The US has neither gathered nor published any data or statistics on this subject but several whistleblowers , like Jamie Reed, have bravely stepped forward.

https://www.thefp.com/p/i-thought-i-...ing-trans-kids

These are not irrational beliefs.
They are serious, dangerous realities that are responsible for what is now being called by many the worst medical scandal in history.
The disrespectful display of gender activists at a Catholic church is the least of it.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 04-05-2024 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 11:57 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a whiff of that, to be sure. Probably deniable though.

As I effectively said earlier, if I were from a Catholic heritage, as an atheist I would not seek to have my funeral officiated by the Church, much less a particularly prestigious one, unless I were wanting to make a statement / go out with a bang so to speak. Nor would I put my survivors up to such a stunt; the most I would do is give it my tacit approval if that was their desire and I agreed with it.

On the other hand it's entirely possible this person just had warm fuzzy memories of growing up Catholic and naively assumed the church would at least do a funeral, regardless of their standing, rather than urinate on the corpse so to speak. Not all Catholics have a good grip on Catholic doctrine and tradition and may feel entitled to things the Church is not officially committed to; or they may have been familiar with particular priests who have no problem and would observe the mass even though technically that's in violation of official policy, without understanding that the next priest -- probably even most priests -- may feel just the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality