Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:21 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
A love one may request a funeral for a family member.

The real question is appropriateness of a church performing a funeral for a non-member?

If a Christian converts to Islam and his parents requests a Christian funeral is that appropriate?

If an Atheist dies and his parents requests a Christian funeral is that appropriate?
I think these people who did this wanted to show off how brave they were to flaunt this at a holy church. If they really want to be brave...why not go to a mosque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:24 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You assume too much. I don't know one way or the other and neither do you. I think the salient point is that the deceased was Catholic and requested a Catholic funeral from a particularly illustrious Catholic facility ... a concept that doesn't exist for Baptists, as they are all independently governed and there's not a tendency to see particular churches as especially holy or prestigious vs any other.
From what I read, the deceased was raised Catholic, but had become a devout atheist.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:47 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You assume too much. I don't know one way or the other and neither do you. I think the salient point is that the deceased was Catholic and requested a Catholic funeral from a particularly illustrious Catholic facility ... a concept that doesn't exist for Baptists, as they are all independently governed and there's not a tendency to see particular churches as especially holy or prestigious vs any other.
If he/she was an active part of that church, the priests would have known him/her.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:01 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I never understood why people that aren't part of a church think the church owes them something.
I don't see why any church would be righteous to turn someone away. Wouldn't God expect his church to be all inclusive?

Christ CAME for the sinners. He did not turn them away. The Pharisees wanted Jesus crucified in part for his congregating with murderers, thieves, harlots, and tax collectors.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:14 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Here's more the reality of the situation:

The obscene rise in mentally troubled adolescents over the last several years, as measured by recent publications by the CDC, especially girls, are directly proportional to the concommitant rise in transgenderism and it's advocacy in schools, higher education, sports, law, and culture in general.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0213-yrbs.html

Most ALL children who fall into the net of 'trans-cool-genderism' suffer from one or several co-morbidities like self-harming, anorexia, depression, anxiety and other personality behavior disorders. The preliminary Cass Report in the UK identified a majority of kids seeking puberty blockers and cross sex hormones as autistic or gender-non-conforming kids, the latter who were so obviously same-sex attracted that clinicians at the now defunct clinic laughingly coined the phrase "Trans the Gay Away". The US has neither gathered nor published any data or statistics on this subject but several whistleblowers , like Jamie Reed, have bravely stepped forward.

https://www.thefp.com/p/i-thought-i-...ing-trans-kids

These are not irrational beliefs.
They are serious, dangerous realities that are responsible for what is now being called by many the worst medical scandal in history.
The disrespectful display of gender activists at a Catholic church is the least of it.
The LGB community should be outraged at having been coopted for this travesty of human ignorance and hubris.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't see why any church would be righteous to turn someone away. Wouldn't God expect his church to be all inclusive?

Christ CAME for the sinners. He did not turn them away. The Pharisees wanted Jesus crucified in part for his congregating with murderers, thieves, harlots, and tax collectors.
Not really the issue, but sure. Ok.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:05 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I think many people think that being Catholic is like an ethnic group. It actually doesn't work. Catholics are registered members of a local parish and attend the local parish's Masses on a regular basis.

If I asked St. Patrick's to give my Catholic husband a funeral Mass, the answer would be no. I would be expected to arrange his funeral at my local parish.

https://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/sacraments

When my mother died, she wished to buried in a family plot with her mother/father/cousins. She was a baptized, confirmed, married in the Catholic Church. I had to provide proof that she had a Catholic funeral Mass to the Catholic Cemetery. Otherwise, they would have refused to bury her with her family.
I’ve certainly not seen that level of problems in organizing or attending a Catholic funeral.
And I have been to plenty of Catholics funerals where the Catholic was long lapsed or inactive within the church or parish.
In some ways Catholicism is like a cultural or ethno-religious group, you are always a part of it, and you are always welcomed home.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:14 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
From what I read, the deceased was raised Catholic, but had become a devout atheist.
See my comments above.
That usually doesn’t matter for a Catholic funeral.
The person is usually “welcomed home” like the Prodigal Son, in life and in death.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:15 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In this instance, I believe that the "messy aspect" was deliberately sought as a spectacle! There was no interest in avoiding it.
Yes, this whole thing sounds like nothing but a bunch of trashy people acting out to get attention. Bet St. Pat's will vet more carefully from now on.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:29 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If he/she was an active part of that church, the priests would have known him/her.
Not necessarily. This is St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, a magnificent, iconic structure with a huge congregation plus Catholics (and non-Catholics) who attend there from all over creation when they visit New York City. There's a two-year waiting list to get married there, and I'm pretty sure the priests can't possibly know all the people who attend there regularly personally.

It sounds to me like this group specifically chose such a public, well-known spot to get attention, and that was the whole reason for the event--attention and the spotlight. As I said above, I do hope this was a lesson learned for the church administrators and they vet more carefully people who want funerals or whatever there.

Off-topic, but one of my favorite novelists, Nelson DeMille, who weaves a lot of facts and trivia into his books, wrote Cathedral back in the 1980s. It's a bit dated but still a good, suspenseful read, about an IRA splinter faction that takes over St. Patrick's Cathedral on St. Patrick's Day in a standoff with NYPD. It's clear DeMille did his homework on the structure and hidden places of the building.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33059.Cathedral

And if you're ever in NYC, it's a worth a visit if you have even the most passing interest in architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality