Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times

Advertisements

Batten down the hatches! We are getting some awesome thunder here as the storm passes. Real spring like storm with lots of wind and lightning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,510,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Had 50-55mph gusts with the passage of the dry line here 5mi. NW of Piedmont just before 4pm. Visibilities down to around 5 miles in blowing dust currently as of 4:17pm. Infact, as I type, winds are gusting easily to 50mph. Allegedly, winds gusting almost to 70 in the OKC area, probably the result of a microburst associated with the thunderstorms that have fired up along the dryline.

As I expected, models are bouncing around on the upcoming cool down for next week. I'll see how the trends go before throwing in the towel on the return of winter. As of now, still guardedly sticking to my predictions per my earlier post. I am concerned that there will be a higher chance that instead of us being bathed in a late winter Canadian chill.. we'll be in the battleground of air masses.. data suggests a very active pattern that could feature some severe weather but also a chance of wintry precip. too. Again, this would be roughly between Feb. 26-March 5th.
More to follow.
Yep. Wind was quite insane late this morning and early this afternoon where I live.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,719 times
Can someone pray for snow because, I miss it so much. I do hope we have a better summer this year, not sure I can handle too many more like last summer.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post

Any long-range progs for 2-3 Mar 2012? Narrowing down the range of dates.

Looking at the long range ensembles (GFS model and European), I'm now far less optimistic that we'll see a substantial arctic plunge here in the southern plains BUT, we won't be far way from it from the projected cold wave which at best will only graze our area. I'll admit, this winter has been a real head banger in trying to make sense of this data. Even the most seasoned meteorologist have had their patience tested as too many times, the data was adamant for several days at a stretch for big cool downs and projected snows, just to scale back majorly on the forecasted event. Some meteorologists argue that the reason for the greater than normal inaccuracies is the result of the cooler than normal temperatures in mid and high levels of the atmosphere (18000-36000 ft) across the mid latitudes on north. Who knows.. anyway,

I no longer believe that we'll get our swan song event for this winter.. I think that may have occurred last week (whoopee!) What I'm now eyeballing is still an active weather pattern where deep low pressure systems will take shape and trek northeast from the Texas/OK. Panhandle up toward the Great Lakes. Here in Oklahoma, we'll be on the warmer side of these storm systems and hopefully some moisture will get entrained from the Gulf of Mexico, severe weather is a distinct possibility with one such system on Monday 2/27 or Tue. 2/28. That storm could produce the first official tornadoes of the season.. watch for that day. But keep in mind.. the data can change!

SluggoF16: Looks like your days in question look seasonably cool with moderate to fresh north winds. Rain chances are low but not non existent.

Further outlook.. Increasingly confident that we'll be considerably above normal temperatures after about Mar. 8-10.. potentially we may be wrapping up an active weather stretch and go into a drier period but frankly.. that's a roll of the dice at this point. As far as any snow in the forecast, maybe Wed. morning (2/29) a brief mix.. other than that.. we may just be done for the season but I'm still not giving up hope for some kind of March surprise..

Stay Blessed!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
SluggoF16: Looks like your days in question look seasonably cool with moderate to fresh north winds. Rain chances are low but not non existent.

Further outlook.. Increasingly confident that we'll be considerably above normal temperatures after about Mar. 8-10.. potentially we may be wrapping up an active weather stretch and go into a drier period but frankly.. that's a roll of the dice at this point. As far as any snow in the forecast, maybe Wed. morning (2/29) a brief mix.. other than that.. we may just be done for the season but I'm still not giving up hope for some kind of March surprise..

Stay Blessed!
Thanks! Other models are showing similar activity the 2nd and 3rd... minimal cloud cover (<30% coverage) with the best likelihood for precip here in SW OK best on the 28th.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,500 times
Beautiful day here in my part of the state. Right now, 70 degrees, very little breeze, sunny, and bright. My husband said it was the perfect day for his golf game. He loved it!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,149,631 times
The big north winds have come and gone (or so it seems), max gusts were 33 knots (38 mph). Currently (6:15 PM) we're down to 17 knots (20 mph) with some gusts to 24 knots (28 mph). Still a warm 55 out, pressure is rising, up 0.05" Hg in 30 minutes. Data from our OS-21.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 06-25-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Quick update on tomorrow's potential severe weather set up.. best chances for anything to be concerned about will be roughly from US 75 on east. Moisture availability will be limited but whatever storms do form, could feature mostly straight line winds to 60mph and up to half dollar size hail. Any one location east of US 75 could receive up to a half inch of rain. West of there, in places like OKC, Cache, Stillwater may at best receive a quarter inch at most. Some places may see little if anything rain wise. Winds will crank up behind the dryline which will move through central OK. during the afternoon tomorrow. Highest wind gusts will be in the 35-45mph range.

As for the longer range outlook.. looks like a snoozer. I'm seeing an overall drier pattern with much above normal temperatures.. so what else is new.

I'm pretty much waving my surrender flag on seeing any more winter weather here in Okla. I basically bombed on that forecast. Overall, I see at least a 3-4 degree above normal temperature average for March with slightly to moderately below normal rainfall. We still are in a La Nina which favours a drier weather pattern here in the southern plains. I do see us going to a more neutral phase (No La Nina or El Nino) by June. I still am reasonably confident that this upcoming spring (later March through May) will be slightly wetter and not as hot as last year. More to come as conditions warrant. Lets try to keep this thread alive. I welcome questions and input from others here on this forum.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Slightly higher chance of severe weather thisafternoon than earlier anticipated. Scattered severe thunderstorms possible after about 5pm from roughly US 81 on east.. better chances as you go east. Tornadoes are definitely possible once you get into Arkansas, could be a pretty nasty night over that way. Here in Okla., straight line winds and hail are the main threats.

Since my last post yesterday, models of amped up an active weather pattern for us into the middle of the month We'll see how it unfolds. Also, some of the climatologists blogs I follow suggest a potential big cool down after around March 15th.. I'm not buying it ... yet.

Look forward in hearing what's up in your area.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Quote:
Since my last post yesterday, models of amped up an active weather pattern for us into the middle of the month We'll see how it unfolds. Also, some of the climatologists blogs I follow suggest a potential big cool down after around March 15th.. I'm not buying it ... yet.

Look forward in hearing what's up in your area.
I can't believe it's time for the first mowing. That is just way too soon. More freezing weather, please. Not ready for spring chores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma