Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
A faint glimmer of hope.. newest model data indicates a possible snow event for next weekend over roughly the northeast 2/3rds of Oklahoma. Potentially several inches of wet snow if (and a BIG IF) this model run verifies. The only reason I'm even posting this is it's within a week of possibly occurring. Normally, I give little credence to any data past a week except just to give a general idea of what may occur. My guess is that the data will bounce around on this and still I lean more to this NOT verifying.. but, as I alluded to in my last post.. changes are coming, and I'm reasonably confident that we'll see some wintry weather at some point between now and winter's end. It looks to me that this change will exhibit a high pressure ridge to our west, giving much of that area mild and tranquil conditions, with a pronounced trough.. or a large area of lower pressure to our northeast and east, where unseasonably colder conditions will result.. we'll be in the middle where temperatures may oscillate significantly but typically in that pattern, moisture is lacking. Sometimes, low pressure areas coming down from the northwest may cut off and give us some rain or snow, or even better, a subtropical jetstream coming up from the east central Pacific, comes through the southern Rockies and the southwest US. This may intensify and give us precipitation that way. We'll see how this unfolds.

Meanwhile, after a cool day today, temperatures will start rebounding tomorrow, and by Friday, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few reports of some trees starting to bud. I've already heard that some folks have their flower bulbs coming through.. not that unusual for here in Oklahoma, especially in recent years.
My bulbs are shooting up. I keep a box and some weights for late storms or I never see any flowers on them, but this is WAY early. The little purple wildflowers I shelter in spring which didn't grow much at all this last one are starting to grow a few months early too. While the cold temsp are a bit colder and the highs lower, this winter reminds me a whole lot of socal, at least in the paved over desert area where I lived, even the wind. I did live in the middle of the santa ana wind tunnel so that has always felt 'normal'.

I don't want the 09-10 winter, but a little snow would be very much appreciated.

And GREAT thread. Where do I go and vote for it being stickied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
A faint glimmer of hope.. newest model data indicates a possible snow event for next weekend over roughly the northeast 2/3rds of Oklahoma...
The best way for us to change this mild weather is if we all start to enjoy it. And please start washing your cars. And pickups.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
The best way for us to change this mild weather is if we all start to enjoy it. And please start washing your cars. And pickups.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,061 times
Looks like the possible snow event that I talked about for this upcoming weekend will most likely not materialize, however another nice round of needed rainfall will result for a good portion of Oklahoma starting Thursday afternoon and possibly lasting into the weekend. As of now, up to an inch of rain possible for places east of Hwy 177 like Okemah, McAlester and Poteau, maybe 2/3rds of an inch for OKC. Tulsa may get close to an inch. Thunderstorms will be a good bet, most likely Thursday night/Friday.
There is a small chance that colder air will filter in just enough to give a wintry mix in the northern parts of the state on Saturday but amounts look negligible.

Meanwhile, on a totally unrelated note, my wife and I are the proud grandparents of a baby girl early thismorning.. second one now. A new baby always brightens up the home, especially at 3am!!
Have a Blessed day!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,283 times
Congratualtions, Rocky!

Right now it's clear and 57 degrees with a brisk breeze here in Duncan. I hope we get some of that rain you're talking about.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Rocky, are you sure you are not Gary England incognito?

Place your bets here. Will OK get any snow the rest of this winter? I know the panhandle has already had some, but we have not had any snow here in south central.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,283 times
What a beautiful day we're having! It's 70 degrees with a light breeze. I have all the windows and patio doors open again. I'm waiting on the rain to get here.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Place your bets here. Will OK get any snow the rest of this winter? I know the panhandle has already had some, but we have not had any snow here in south central.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Doesn't get any better than Gary England! He's an Oklahoma classic.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Some nice heavy rain in Stillwater today sometimes with thunder. Maybe rainfall amount will go over 2 inches before its over. In northwest Oklahoma rainfall amounts are commonly between 2 and 4+ inches.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Raining off and on here in south-central. It poured right when we got home a few minutes ago, then let up as we got into the house. I think the rain was messing with us.

Rocky, I forgot to say congratulations on the new gb!! No wonder we are having rain! Two blessings for us okies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma