Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM

24,325 posts, read 13,180,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
...T.S Debbie, which I suspect will reach minimal hurricane status will likely move ashore in the upper gulf coast maybe as early as late tomorrow will have no impact on the area.
Regrettable. Could use a bit more than the 1.5" we got last week. On the plus side, we're up to our eyeballs in tomatoes this year owing to the mild spring and adequate rainfall.

One model has TS Debby heading west but even that one would come ashore around Lake Charles, LA, and then turn NE to Alexandria and Monroe toward Memphis. Need a TS or CAT 1 to hit around Corpus or Victoria with a NW track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM

653 posts, read 1,789,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Regrettable. Could use a bit more than the 1.5" we got last week. On the plus side, we're up to our eyeballs in tomatoes this year owing to the mild spring and adequate rainfall.

One model has TS Debby heading west but even that one would come ashore around Lake Charles, LA, and then turn NE to Alexandria and Monroe toward Memphis. Need a TS or CAT 1 to hit around Corpus or Victoria with a NW track.

Tonight's model runs are becoming more in agreement with the GFS model (The USA's long term computer model) which has been insistent on a northeast course toward the Fla. panhandle; in bringing it ashore, probably late tomorrow evening or Tue. morning at the latest as a 65-70mph storm, then moving it out into the Atlantic the next day. As for here, next chance of appreciable rain comes around the July 4th holiday, give or take a day or two. As mentioned earlier, this week coming up will be a scorcher, now some of the short term models has us between 98-104 every day this week in central OK., and 105-110F in NW Okla. Today featured record heat in Kansas with 114F in Hill City. This I believe is the all time record for them for June. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see places like Buffalo and Freedom in NW OK. see similar temps. around the Tue./Wed. time frame, maybe Thurs. too.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,002,226 times
'bout time it warmed up a little..........

Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 50,644 times
Wow. This is my first Oklahoma summer, and it's so hot! Is it usually like this in June? I'm so not looking forward to being in the oil fields of western Oklahoma all summer.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM

24,325 posts, read 13,180,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyChristine View Post
Wow. This is my first Oklahoma summer, and it's so hot! Is it usually like this in June? I'm so not looking forward to being in the oil fields of western Oklahoma all summer.
As we used to say in Arizona, "At least it's a dry heat." 106 today in Cache with 58 dewpoint. Not bad, felt a lot like being back in Tucson or Phoenix. Still, hydration is a must.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
Today reminded me a lot of early summer in Riverside (california) without the smog. So long as it doesn't become LAST SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,257,543 times
It only got up the to mid 70s up here in Wyalucing PA. Even thought I get home sick and wish I was back in Oklahoma I'm sure glad I'm up here this time of year!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,559,910 times
Quote:
August is hotter.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
This is not typical. Conditions are still quite dry well out to our west and northwest and some of the heat that has resulted from their drought has worked it's way into our part of the state. Soil dryness is increasing rapidly across about the NW 3/4 of the state now being many areas has had two consecutive months of subnormal rainfall. So with this unusually strong high pressure ridge over us, and a new (but I believe a temporary) drought developing, it looks increasingly likely that we'll see another scalding hot summer. I really still believe it won't be as brutal as last year, at least it's alot greener and soil moisture more abundant than last year but as I said, we are drying out quickly, so the longer we go without rain, the vegetation dries out and can radiate more heat; the hotter we potentially get, a key reason why last year was so bad.

Back to your question RockyChristine: A typical June averages in the 90-94F range depending where you live. June is also the month with the highest average dewpoint (or humidity), typically after mid month, we start going longer durations without appreciable rainfall and humidity levels start to drop. A typical June will see anywhere from 2.5-5 inches of rain across the state, the most in the southeast. Late July is the hottest time of year with temps averaging between 94-100F. Typically Tulsa will see about 8 days a summer with temps at or above 100F and OKC about 10 days. In a normal summer, both Tulsa and OKC's hottest day is usually around 102-104. The last couple of summers have been anything but normal however and despite what the conservative media may be trying to convince us that global warming is not real, our climate is changing and I fear that the summers we've been experiencing will be more the norm than the exception.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM

An addendum to my last post.. Maximum temps. of 112F in both Freedom and Buffalo which are small towns north and northeast of Woodward. Currently 107 in Kingfisher and 105 here at the farm 5mi. NW of Piedmont. Potentially the hottest day will be tomorrow; maybe a degree or two higher before we cool down to near 98-100F by the weekend because of a little increase in the humidity.. which won't make it necessarily any cooler anyway, because the heat indexes will rise some. I see no break in this pattern for the foreseeable future.. still an isolated storm threat across far northern and NW OK. this weekend and a slight chance of rain around July 4-7th mainly east of Hwy 177.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma