Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 33,554 times

Advertisements

It's common sense. Banks are not in the Real Estate business. If they don't get their money back that they lent ot build the place, what do you think they will do? Wait around for years to sell them at the current prices. NB is over $100 per square foot higher in price than anything in MB, and it isn't even the nicest to tell the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 46,336 times
jjwut - So what is the chain of events??? Do they start selling those units that are in default of their contracts at a lower price? Does the bank write-off a portion of loan? Do they wait for the real estate market to recover? Which development in NMB is better than NBP? Just Curious!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM

foreclosure, lower prices, write-off. take your pick. i do not see them waiting past the first couple weeks of spring to see what happens. if the market turns and they are selling a lot of them, then great. but does anyone really see that happening. the MB market is a mess right now and will be 2011 before we start seeing high end properties like this move. remember this is a 2nd home/invt property area which is dependendent on discretinary income. people just don't have that right now, and if they do, they are concerned abotu the future and holding on to it.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM

fyi....the unit in the bridge is for sale. originally bought by one of the developers. read into that what u may.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM

jjwut - So after a while, if the banks don't want to ride it out, they can sell the remaining units at a reduced price and write-off the remaining loan balance. Do you have an answer to my other question, which development in NMB is better than NBP?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM

jjwut - The 5,000 square foot unit in the Bridge is way over the top. The developer can re examine that unit and make it into two or three smaller units. The other developer that was supposed to buy the unit probably backed away because it became impractical given in this economic climate and his business is most likely struggling and he needs to reduce his expenditures in these tough times.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,222,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandL View Post
jjwut - So what is the chain of events??? Do they start selling those units that are in default of their contracts at a lower price? Does the bank write-off a portion of loan? Do they wait for the real estate market to recover? Which development in NMB is better than NBP? Just Curious!!!
If you are asking in general what banks do in these cases, I can give you a few examples right in BofA's hometown of Charlotte. One thing to remember, the bank will do what is good for the bank. period.

First is Catalyst Condos This is a 28 story condo tower down the street from the BofA corporate tower and was finished earlier in the year. The developer Novare ran out of money so they turned it over to their bank. (I want to say that was Wachovia) They first tried to change the plans for the building to turn 1/2 into apartments, other 1/2 condos. This didn't work out, so they canceled all the contracts and it is now a full apartment building. It should be noted there are other condo projects in Charlotte that did take the mixed condo/apartment approach.

Banks will also simply foreclose on property and let them sit there. A good case also right in downtown was The Park. (pictured below) The developer ran out of money and the bank forced it into foreclosure. There was a sheriff's auction at the court house and the bank bought it back from itself which gave it full control of the building and had the effect, by law which is what foreclosure does, of removing all liens and claims on the property. The building had 100% sold out and all these people lost their rather substantial deposits. Meanwhile the actual building has been sitting in this state for close to 2 years.

Right next door to BofA, at the center of all the new development in Charlotte and direct access to a station on the new light rail line was the 50 story residential tower built on top of a retail/entertainment center. EpiCentre (http://www.epicentrenc.com/live.php - broken link) This is another tower that has stopped construction, the developer has filed for bankruptcy, and the deposits are in question. This is a story that has yet to be played out. There are a lot of different stories floating around about this one, but one of them is the developer didn't price the units right and can't cover the construction loan with the bank.

There are a number of other stories like this here I will stop with this since this topic isn't about CLT. I posted it in answer to the question on how banks will handle and these are examples right in the banking city of Charlotte, with projects that have units purchased, by no doubt, their own employees and which can be view outside the windows of their corporate HQs.
----------------------

I'm from Myrtle Beach and have seen these kinds of things since the first condo tower showed up in the early 1970s. Myrtle Beach has experienced all kinds of booms and busts several times so this sort of thing isn't new. I remember in the late 70s, the city was littered with construction cranes that stood there for years because there was no money to take them down or to finish the projects. Eventually however things always recovered and the city moved on.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,906 times
Although I said I would not respond again, it seems every so often I see more and new angry malcomtents, obviously unhappy with their lives, trying to bring everyone else down to their level with their angry unfounded rumors and untruths. And of course these folks never even consider signing their names to these postings that others could question them as to their validity....since they are not valid. I implore those who have interest in the truth, and not unfounded rumors and inuendos, please contact me...whether or not you have interest in North Beach real estate or just interest in the truth. I promise you if I can't get you the truth I will direct you in the best possible direction to get it. Early on those nay sayers counted the closings...10-15-20-30-..."when's the auction"?? Well we will turn 100 closings next week...and it will continue...because it's a great product. Those who have purchased agree. New purchasers keep buying each week. For those who want the truth, Winchester has over 30 years of integrity to stand on...and we stand tall. When times are good and when they are not!
My name is Bob Edelman. Developer of Winchester North Beach Towers LLC. My direct telephone number is 843-429-6129. My email address is redelman@winchesteroceanfront.com.
PS. Given my attitude toward unsigned posts, you can imagine that I will not resond to anything that does not carry a signature and contact information.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 24,580 times
Sorry to prolong the thread, but for those of you who've already closed, could you please give me info on what yearly fees are like? HOA? insurance? taxes? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 AM

26 posts, read 135,681 times
The fees are based on the size unit you have. I am sure if you call bob edelman @ 843-429-6129 he will be glad to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area