Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Get rid of timed traffic lights. Seriously, stupidest thing ever. Anyone who has lived in a state where traffic lights are controlled by sensors-not timers-knows what I am talking about.
Many traffic lights in the Twin Cities are controlled by sensors, but it's also a good thing (IMO) to coordinate sets of lights along specific corridors like they did on Lake Street many years ago. That ensures that someone going the speed limit can be free and clear at low-traffic times of day ... the lights cascade to green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
North Broadway is timed to allow free travel in the eastbound lanes on weekday mornings, from Fremont all the way to Highway 94. It really works - let's hear it for coordinated lights!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In order to compromise, both parties need to have a list of items they wish to implement, but are willing to give one or more up in order to achieve at least one intended goal. In fact, that is how laws get passed (in case you ever wondered why a bill would have a few attachments that are completely unrelated).

So, from my perspective, if all I wanted was to have an open liquor store on Sundays, I have nothing else to barter with. Hence, no compromise. Allowing off-sale from gas stations, grocery stores, convience stores like the majority of the country would be nice. Keeping liquor stores open later would be nice, too. But unless I brought those to the table, along with the Sunday hours proposal, I nothing to barter with. And if I have nothing to barter with, I have no incentive to budge.

I do not see why "people like me" need to budge when all "we" want is one thing.

You are contradicting yourself. You are the one who originally proposed to allow liquor stores to remain open later. Yet, you believe that in doing so, along with an extra day of operation on Sunday, would increase crime? Seriously? How is that so? The only thing that would be affected is that a certain aspect of the population would not be reduced to drinking mouthwash on Sundays.
Now you're getting into semantics, and this conversation would be endless if you and I explained why we thought what we both said was the right solution. All I can say is that if it's so "simple", then why hasn't it been done? My guess is that both sides couldn't reach an agreement.

You make a good point: how does closing on Sundays but keeping it open later during the rest of the week reduce crime? Again, this is semantics. The Sunday and crime argument would come from opposition, not me. It's not 100% logical but it's an argument that has worked for decades. One reason why it could be true is that weekends in particular are days when nobody is working, so why give them an extra incentive to get drunk? You may say that if somebody wanted to get drunk they would go to Wisconsin or to a restaurant, and I might say that people like me wouldn't do that under normal circumstances, but may reach for a brewskie if it took 5 minutes of my time. I don't want to dig that deep into this, I just wanted to introduce the counterpoint as to why this isn't a simple solution, and to EVER reach compromise, you'd have to expect to give something up.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
get rid of the lutheran guilt. "Too much of a good thing is bad" type of attitude. Only in Minnesota can you buy booze at liquor stores, but not on Sundays...WTF? and only in Minnesota can you have beer, but it's just 3.2. And only in Minnesota can you go to the bars, but you must leave by 2, heaven forbid you spend anymore of your money. I'm so sick of the contradictory bs in this state. Everyone pushes their values and beliefs on me. Liquor stores closed on Sundays started because other people's values pushed into law. If I want to buy a case of beer on a slow boring Sunday, I should have that right, hell i can do it 6 other days of the week. Either have it one way or not at all.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much whiskey is just enough" - Mark Twain

Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
No, Minnesota is far from alone in the its "blue laws" regarding booze on Sundays (and other similar restrictions); I've lived in states with more restrictive laws, as well as those with much looser. I wish alcohol, or at least beer and wine, was allowed to be sold in grocery stores; I don't know what the retail experts say, but I assume that it would be very good for the bottom line of smaller stores. We had a lot of wonderful small markets in our old neighborhoods in California, and I always assumed that the profit on the wines helped keep them viable. It made the neighborhoods much more livable. Plus, it's nice to just be able to pick up a bottle of wine at the same time you're picking up dinner. We had liquor stores, too, and thats' where you went for more serious buying, or if you wanted more options. We had hard liquor sold in our grocery stores, too, and I had no problems with that. The US in general has widely varied and sometimes odd views towards alcohol and its role in society.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Ever experienced the madness of liquor laws in Philadelphia? I was there last year with my beer-lover Mexican roommate. Go to a liquor store there and they sell everything but beer. Where do we go to buy beer, then? Well, they have these beer despensaries that sell beer only, and the nearest one was 3 miles away!

I have visited my friend in Austin, TX, she lives in a suburb, Cedar Park, which is right over the border into a dry county. There, we need to cross the border to a wet county with bars.

She used to have a cabin in Cisco, 100 miles west of Dallas, in a dry county.
When she's there, she has to drive 40 miles to a wet county.

I was recently in St. George, Utah (Mormon country), arrived at 7pm. Too late! Only two liquor stores in the entire city, and they close at 7pm.

Alternative? Go to a convenience store and buy some 3.2 slop beer!

Quite a shocker to a Las Vegan where we can buy liquor 7/24!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever experienced the madness of liquor laws in Philadelphia? I was there last year with my beer-lover Mexican roommate. Go to a liquor store there and they sell everything but beer. Where do we go to buy beer, then? Well, they have these beer despensaries that sell beer only, and the nearest one was 3 miles away!
To be fair to PA - and I grew up in PA, went to the U of M for college, and now live in Philly - you only have to go to a beer distributor to buy cases of beer. You do have to go to a state owned liquor store to buy wine or hard stuff. But to get a 6 pack (or even a single bottle of beer, in various sizes) you can go to any number of convenience stores and delis on streetcorners everywhere. Or you can go to any restaurant and get some to go.

The only problem I had with beer in Minnesota was being told that I couldn't get it to go one time from Chipotle. Didn't make any sense to me. Shortly after I turned 21, and wasn't aware of the law. I was walking home, not driving, so why couldn't I walk with beer? Here in PA getting beer to go from a restaurant is one of the most popular ways to do it. But it wasn't really a big deal, it was just really confusing.

The closed on sunday laws don't make a lot of sense. But lots of states of weird alcohol laws, and everybody is convinced their place is the worst, simply because they have to deal with those particular laws. Here in PA people complain a lot too - and I can see how it would be annoying to have to go different places for different stuff if you have a lot of parties or are an alcoholic. But for lone people like me who like the occasional six pack, after I get the hunch for beer, I just have to decide which of the many delis within walking distance I will be going to to get my "beer to go".

Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Speaking of Blue Laws... Why can't you purchase/sell a vehicle on Sunday? It makes absolutely no sense. The rest of the world has adapted - Banks, Grocery Stores, Clinics, General Stores, the list goes on... We are in a 24/7 365 society. It makes no sense to me. You can sell cars any single day of the week, but not on Sundays? Why allow cars to be sold at all. That folks, is where the phrase "You can't have your cake and eat it too" is applied.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
To be fair to PA - and I grew up in PA, went to the U of M for college, and now live in Philly - you only have to go to a beer distributor to buy cases of beer. You do have to go to a state owned liquor store to buy wine or hard stuff. But to get a 6 pack (or even a single bottle of beer, in various sizes) you can go to any number of convenience stores and delis on streetcorners everywhere. Or you can go to any restaurant and get some to go.

The only problem I had with beer in Minnesota was being told that I couldn't get it to go one time from Chipotle. Didn't make any sense to me. Shortly after I turned 21, and wasn't aware of the law. I was walking home, not driving, so why couldn't I walk with beer? Here in PA getting beer to go from a restaurant is one of the most popular ways to do it. But it wasn't really a big deal, it was just really confusing.

The closed on sunday laws don't make a lot of sense. But lots of states of weird alcohol laws, and everybody is convinced their place is the worst, simply because they have to deal with those particular laws. Here in PA people complain a lot too - and I can see how it would be annoying to have to go different places for different stuff if you have a lot of parties or are an alcoholic. But for lone people like me who like the occasional six pack, after I get the hunch for beer, I just have to decide which of the many delis within walking distance I will be going to to get my "beer to go".
Sunday Laws are odd, even if they never really apply to you. I find myself needing to go buy booze on a Sunday maybe a few times a year. Do I need to purchase a car on a Sunday? No, but it's just the principle of it all. I don't get the "too much of one thing" or "too much of a good thing" type of attitude. Why hinder commerce at the expense of an age old law that predates us all?

Bar closing at 2am is weird too. It should be 3 or 4. Many people I know work until 12am and that only allows them 2 hours of socializing. People stay up late anyway, why not have them stay at your establishment and spending their money. That money that will evetually be taxed, and used as income for the goverment? I just don't get why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul