Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times

Advertisements

I am finally working again and I might have a chance to do something I haven't done in years: Leave the Southeastern USAfor a weekend. I have been down here for so long and I want to travel somewhere. I know that the Winter Carnival will be in St. Paul from late January to early February. Does anyone have any information about cheap places to stay, and cheap flights to Mpls-St.Paul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM

256 posts, read 586,864 times
There are some reasonably priced hotels near the airport that are convenient to the light rail. I was at Minnehaha falls recently, the frozen waterfall is really cool (no pun intended). With the brush being gone, you can get a good look at the falls without having to go down those stairs.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,347,068 times
I'd check out Hotwire.com and other hotel-deal websites. I've been lucky finding good deals in downtowns of other major cities. I put in the first week-end in Feb for Mpls and here's what came up--$59 for a 3.5 star hotel in DT Mpls sounds pretty good (there would be a few surcharges/taxes etc...). Good luck--but remember that Feb still isn't the best time weatherwise!

Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com

Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I'd check out Hotwire.com and other hotel-deal websites. I've been lucky finding good deals in downtowns of other major cities. I put in the first week-end in Feb for Mpls and here's what came up--$59 for a 3.5 star hotel in DT Mpls sounds pretty good (there would be a few surcharges/taxes etc...). Good luck--but remember that Feb still isn't the best time weatherwise!

Thanks. I am up for more suggestions about hotels and such. I am choosing early February because of the Winter Carnival in St. Paul.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
I second the hotwire suggestion; not sure what prices are there now, but one of my friends got an EXCELLENT deal at a nice hotel downtown during February. It's not the ideal time of year to visit, but if snow and ice is what you're after, then you're definitely here at the right time.

If you come towards the end of the Winter Carnival you could double up on the outside fun and attend the City of Lakes Loppet in Minneapolis:
City of Lakes Loppet You don't have to ski to find it fun.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,207,464 times
Ortitz.com too for hotels!

I thought you were from the area, for some reason? Flights should be relatively cheaper since it's within the Delta Hub network. Usually you want to get your flights 3 weeks in advance, but you can also check last minute deals on sites like Travelocity.com (I believe there is an option for that near the top of the page).

Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 AM

37 posts, read 131,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post

I always use either hotwire or priceline depending on how far in advance I book. You can also generally tell which hotel you're getting ahead of time too based on the amenities listed. Just go to the following link, and match the amenities to the listed hotel:

Hotwire Hotel List - Minnesota - Priceline and Hotwire Forum

I travel at least a third of the year and book all my own travel. What I like to do is look at the prices on hotwire first for the dates I want, then try to bid lower on priceline to see if I can find anything. If not I'll either wait til closer to my travel date or just by the hotel on hotwire.

For flights, I always use kayak.com, but again, you can search kayak, and then try to bid for a lower rate on priceline. The only thing with bidding for a flight on priceline is you don't really control the times you fly, which doesn't work for me a lot of the time.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Thanks. I am up for more suggestions about hotels and such. I am choosing early February because of the Winter Carnival in St. Paul.
Would suppose that you already have this info for the Winter Carnival (Jan 27th to Feb 6th) but if not...

Winter Carnival

No ice palace this year (pretty rare when they do build one) and no toboggan chute but plenty of stuff to do. Don't forget to get your button early for the medallion hunt as you can't get them after the Carnival starts and it qualifies you for the grand prize once you find the medallion.

I've always thought the ST Paul Hotel would be a great stay for the carnival because of being so centrally located and right across the street from the ice sculptures and Ordway. As upscale hotels go it's quite a bargain at $179 a nite and you can get the Ambassador suite for $279 (non weekends).

Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijj1c View Post
the winter carnival not that impressive...rather come for state fair, i recommend. i think last year they cancel the carnival due to extreme cold..
wrong, no weather problems last year, temps were quite normal and very conducive to winter celebrations.

History : Weather Underground

Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm still considering the trip. At the present moment I am kind of sick, so things are up in the air. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something to get me from the 4th of February to the 6th. I don't know how $179 a night for a hotel is a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul