Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 14,200 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Charlotte with kids ages 8-10. We have started looking at real estate and are quite shocked at prices and taxes vs. Charlotte. I guess it's a new reality we will have to accept.

A few questions on neighborhoods. We are focusing our search on the SW suburbs, to include Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Chanhassen and Chaska. . Just curious to know the character of these neighborhoods? We are looking for neighborhoods that are friendly and communal, where families hang out in the cul de sac on the weekends in the summer. Do any of the above neighborhoods qualify? Any other neighborhoods we should be thinking about? Our price range is up to $375K, although we would like to be at $325k.

Also, any opinions on pros/cons of Minneapolis from former North Carolina residents? Or just anyone from the South? I know it's cold, but I also understand there is plenty of upside in Minn. Thx for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,720,964 times
All or those neighborhoods are considered upper tier suburbs, so they are great for families. Our schools are far better than down south, far fewer children go to private school here. The twin cities are also safer than the Charlotte area. Most people love the lakes and parks that both the cities and the suburbs offer. In fact, we have more park space per capita than anywhere. Can you be more specific about what you're looking for in a community? What city will you be working in? What DON'T you want in a neighborhood?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,381,520 times
You will find neighborhoods like that in those areas. Are you working in that area because if not, you might want to look closer to work and possibly in a less expensive area.

Yes, housing here is significantly more then what you see in the south.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,200 times
Thx for the responses. I will be working near Eden Prairie 80% of the time, downtown the other 20%.

We would like to stay on the low end of our budget, near shopping and YMCA (or other workout options). I would like to keep my commute to Eden Prairie 20 minutes or less. We also want a very friendly neighborhood that will make assimilation much easier. In terms of house, we want at least 2400 sq feet finished, including basement is fine (we don't have one now and we kinda miss it!)

I've heard great things about the schools and park system. We are definitely looking forward to that aspect of Minneapolis. Seems like a very clean city as well with nice people. I hear the music scene is good too??

Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
You won't find alot of homes in that range of finished square feet, but given your situation I'd definitely look in Hopkins. It's a charming suburb that really has a small-town feel with a nice little downtown with restaurants, shops, a movie theater, small town style supermarket, etc. It's right in between Eden Prairie and downtown Minneapolis too which helps for both of your commutes.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM

267 posts, read 559,569 times
Slig - There are actually plenty of homes that match their criteria.

Searching in Hopkins, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen & Chaska I looked for single family homes that were more than 2,400 finished and less than $350k. I even took out all of the bank owned and short sales and still came up with 62 matching homes.

Fuzzoff - if you'd like me to send you a link with that list or modify it in any way send me a direct message.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,720,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post

Searching in Hopkins, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen & Chaska I looked for single family homes that were more than 2,400 finished and less than $350k. I even took out all of the bank owned and short sales and still came up with 62 matching homes.

Fuzzoff - if you'd like me to send you a link with that list or modify it in any way send me a direct message.

I'll second Billwallace, you should have no problem finding homes in that range in this market.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post

Sorry if my post came off as unclear but I was referring to strictly Hopkins. It is more the fact that most of the homes in Hopkins are smaller than 2400 sq ft. I believe in an MLS search I found about 4 homes located in Hopkins that met those size and price requirements. I would think you're going to find alot more homes 2400 sq ft or larger in Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen and Chaska.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,898,143 times
I'd suggest SW Minneapolis actually. There are some of the BEST neighborhoods where people actually, you know, get to KNOW one-another. It's super close to the Chain of Lakes where you'll likely be spending quite a bit of your time outdoors (or should). And it's directly between downtown MPLS and Eden Prairie, so your commute should never be more than 20 minutes (the exception may be going from SW MPLS to Eden Prairie, depending on the route you take and time of day).

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,770,794 times
I would also suggest SW Minneapolis for ultra-family friendly and sense of community, but it's not modern suburbia and there are no cul-de-sacs. (you can't beat it for families, though, but if you're looking for a big subdivision-style house you're not going to find it in SW)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul