Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times

Advertisements

keep religion out of the liquor business.

If the church can't control it's flock don't legislate the control over them.

Separate church and state.
and allow car sales on Sunday also.
Were not sheeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,128,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The cities I've traveled to that left some of the more lasting imprints were cities with lots of outdoor sculptures.

That bronze herd of cattle outside the Dallas Convention Center: it blew me away! And the bronze wild mustangs at Las Colinas, also in the Dallas area!

That two-story bear outside the Denver Convention Center, peering inside the building: priceless!

There's certainly enough artists in the Twin Cities area which could create some impressionable outdoor sculptures to attract, not only locals, but tourists as well.
That's a peculiar request, though I don't disagree. However, Minneapolis already does have the largest urban sculpture park in North America.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
- A better public transportation network. The current system leaves ALOT to be desired. It's improving with new plans for light rail lines, etc. but FAR too slowly!

- Legalize pot

-New Vikings stadium

-Halt on suburban sprawl
Sounds like good suggestions.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM

23,241 posts, read 29,093,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
That's a peculiar request, though I don't disagree. However, Minneapolis already does have the largest urban sculpture park in North America.
But why amass it all in a park? Why not strew them around the city?

I've been in cities where I've encountered urban sculptures in the least likely places, and what pleasant surprises they've been!

Philadelphia comes to mind, on a walk around that city recently. Completely unexpected surprises, here and there.

I haven't lived in Minneapolis in 17 years, how about the Lakes, the riverfront,
downtown, any outdoor sculptures added there?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's certainly enough artists in the Twin Cities area which could create some impressionable outdoor sculptures to attract, not only locals, but tourists as well.
As long as it is not Peanuts inspired....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I still don't understand why Minnesota doesn't allow beer sales in grocery stores and gas stations. I thought only Canada did that.
Like I said, liquor store owners have the lock-down on the off-sale market. They get all the business, and want to continue to get all the business. I remember back in 2007 when there was a huge push to get wine in grocery stores. Despite the number of citizens that supported the idea, there was a relatively small, but powerful, effort against it. Regardless of the arguments against selling wine in grocery stores (i.e., it would somehow magically be easier for underage drinkers to acquire alcohol ) was total BS. The fact remains that liquor store owners just didn't want the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It doesn't "ruin" it for me....I said if you want to change something you'll need to give in a little and I think it should start with Sundays. Religiously, I don't think people need to drink LIQUOR on Sundays but that's just me and that applies mostly to people who are religious, but it's not my mandate at all. In fact, if you could drink anything on Sundays it wouldn't diminish my quality of life at all, but like I said, I think if you want to make a change and you have two sides who don't want to budge I think you need to start somewhere and that place (to me) is prohibiting liquor sales on Sundays.....just me, me, me, me, me.
What?! Why would their need to be a compromise? People who want to drink on Sundays can already legally do so whether they are religious or not. The only difference is they currently either need to go to a bar/restaurant or drink what-ever is in their house.

More realistically, how would this be a compromise? In a compromise, all those involved get something they want. Those in this situation who want liquor stores to be open on Sundays get nothing unless those who want Sunday hours also want something else.

Having liquor stores open on Sundays would not significantly increase the number of people drinking on Sundays.

Non-religiously, I don't think people need to drink liquor on any day of the week.

Should pork and non-Kosher products be banned from St. Louis Park? Nope. You know that would be ridiculous, but, there should be a compromise, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No it isn't. Where did you get that crazy idea? I think you are confusing that with fireworks, the kind which are illegal to have in MN-which the state patrol DOES stop people for but going to Wisconsin to buy alcohol is in no way illegal
I got the crazy idea from making many of those beer runs myself. Alcohol and tobacco are heavily taxed items, and there are many states that have laws against transporting alcohol and tobacco across state lines (i.e., driving into another state to purchase alcohol for consumption in another state; for tax purposes). I've always heard that Minnesota was no different.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
...Yes, you can, but it is technically illegal and the Highway Patrol can stop and search if they suspect you crossed the border to purchase booze....
You are technically correct as Minnesota Law prohibits the transportation of more than 1 litre of intoxicating liquor or 288 ounces (24 X 12) of fermented malt beverage across state lines. Quantities at/or under those amounts must not be for resale or for any commercial purposes.

Visitors comiing to Minnesota from a foreign country can bring up to 4 litres of intoxicating liquor or 320 ounces of fermented malt beverage.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=297G.07 (Subd. 2)

Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What?! Why would their need to be a compromise? People who want to drink on Sundays can already legally do so whether they are religious or not. The only difference is they currently either need to go to a bar/restaurant or drink what-ever is in their house.

More realistically, how would this be a compromise? In a compromise, all those involved get something they want. Those in this situation who want liquor stores to be open on Sundays get nothing unless those who want Sunday hours also want something else.

Having liquor stores open on Sundays would not significantly increase the number of people drinking on Sundays.

Non-religiously, I don't think people need to drink liquor on any day of the week.

Should pork and non-Kosher products be banned from St. Louis Park? Nope. You know that would be ridiculous, but, there should be a compromise, right?

This is exactly why things don't change....it's people like you who don't budge. The compromise is extending liquor store hours to midnight 4 days a week and 1 a.m. 2 days a week, allowing the sale of beer/wine at gas stations and grocery stores, and moving the bar close time a little later. The people who would be against this would not want ANY of that to happen, and to reach a compromise you'd have to give up some of the things you may want as a drinker.

And comparing Kosher to alcohol is not an apples to apples comparison. By allowing all stores to be Kosher, crime would not increase, but by allowing liquor stores to be open all days of the week until late hours of the night, there WILL be more crime/disturbances.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
This is exactly why things don't change....it's people like you who don't budge. The compromise is extending liquor store hours to midnight 4 days a week and 1 a.m. 2 days a week, allowing the sale of beer/wine at gas stations and grocery stores, and moving the bar close time a little later. The people who would be against this would not want ANY of that to happen, and to reach a compromise you'd have to give up some of the things you may want as a drinker.

And comparing Kosher to alcohol is not an apples to apples comparison. By allowing all stores to be Kosher, crime would not increase, but by allowing liquor stores to be open all days of the week until late hours of the night, there WILL be more crime/disturbances.
In order to compromise, both parties need to have a list of items they wish to implement, but are willing to give one or more up in order to achieve at least one intended goal. In fact, that is how laws get passed (in case you ever wondered why a bill would have a few attachments that are completely unrelated).

So, from my perspective, if all I wanted was to have an open liquor store on Sundays, I have nothing else to barter with. Hence, no compromise. Allowing off-sale from gas stations, grocery stores, convience stores like the majority of the country would be nice. Keeping liquor stores open later would be nice, too. But unless I brought those to the table, along with the Sunday hours proposal, I nothing to barter with. And if I have nothing to barter with, I have no incentive to budge.

I do not see why "people like me" need to budge when all "we" want is one thing.

You are contradicting yourself. You are the one who originally proposed to allow liquor stores to remain open later. Yet, you believe that in doing so, along with an extra day of operation on Sunday, would increase crime? Seriously? How is that so? The only thing that would be affected is that a certain aspect of the population would not be reduced to drinking mouthwash on Sundays.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Figure out a better light system for downtown Minneapolis. Drove into Minneapolis yesterday at evening rush hour from Burnsville Center. It took less then 15 minutes to get from Burnsville to the 11th street exit (4:00-4:15). It took 30 minutes on the 11th street ramp and over 2 HOURS to get from there to the Greyhound station. Finally got to the bus station at 6:16 to pick up our son coming home from college for Christmas break. It took another almost 30 minutes to get onto 35W south. Most of this was traffic from people coming INTO Minneapolis, therefore, many people that LIVE in Minneapolis returning home from work. Traffic INTO Minneapolis was backed up to the Crosstown after we finally made it to the bus station. Traffic LEAVING Minneapolis, thus those living in the suburbs working in Minneapolis was free flowing. We got back to Rosemount at 7:15. Unbelievable. Most of the issue was the stupid bus drivers that would pull into an intersection, block 3 of the 4 lanes through about 4 signal changes.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Figure out a better light system for downtown Minneapolis. Drove into Minneapolis yesterday at evening rush hour...
Yesterday evening wasn't a fair reading. Everything is bolloxed up from the weather - it still is; both Mpls and St Paul public schools are closed again today, partly due to poor road conditions.

Try again next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul