Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

106 posts, read 238,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've brought this idea up in the forum before. I think it'd be an excellent idea in the event that the new Vikings stadium isn't located there.
Do you know where those pictures are? If so can you post them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM

106 posts, read 238,991 times
I found it!
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/mast...05_chapter.pdf

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,211 times
I would think that Loring Park already covers that

Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
1. Expand the Sunday ban on liquor sales to the sale of most goods on Sunday (convenience stores, restaurants, amusement parks, places of recreation, etc.). We need to reclaim Sunday as a family day from the grips of consumerism.
2. Introduce and pass game-changing abortion restrictions a la South Dakota
3. More local restaurants / businesses, particularly in the metro suburbs
4. Pass a state injunction dismantling and permanently banning homeowner's associations, period.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Keep liquor stores open until at least 11 pm, even on Sundays.

Get rid of timed traffic lights. Seriously, stupidest thing ever. Anyone who has lived in a state where traffic lights are controlled by sensors-not timers-knows what I am talking about.

Lite Rail should have right-of-way. What the heck it stops at traffic lights is beyond me. The lights should turn in favor for the Lite Rail.

Remove every-other bus stop, at least. Does their seriously need to be a bus stop on every block? Sometimes two?

Get rid of all the damm stop signs. It seems like you cannot drive more than a block without running into one.

Get rid of Lake Calhoun. Seriously. The water is gross and people treat this thing like it is Club Med or something. It is just a small lake in the middle of the city.

Get more, cheaper, Mexican food! Yeah, I am originally from California-a place where you can get a [real] burrito made from a tortilla the size of a man-hole cover for $5.

Keep the Vikings stadium downtown.

Re-think Snow Emergency protocol. Seriously, what a confusing mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
And get rid of 3.2 beer. So dumb.
Yes, but this is also a left-over from Prohibition Era days. During Prohibition, the production, sale, and consumption of 3.2 was allowed. It was a way to appease the more "unruly" citizens who were upset by Prohibition. Why it stuck around is beyond me, but rest assured that Minnesota is not the only state to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Okay, I don't know why liquor stores aren't open on Sundays but I assumed it had to do with church. If you want to pass a new legislature for drinking you ought to probably start on the conservative side.
The "Sunday Law" was a hold over from when Prohibition was repealed in the State of Minnesota. It was basically an agreement in order to pass a repeal on the ban on booze. The state allowed liquor stores to open up on Superbowl Sunday when the Super Bowl was held in MPLS. But, they quickly changed their mind as the result of too much domestic violence that weekend. Of course, it being the Super Bowl had nothing to do with that But, alas, the "State" has since used that day as an example of why LQs are closed on Sundays.

Actually, it is the Liquor Store Lobby that keeps them closed. In case you haven't noticed, liquor stores are few and far between in the TC. They get all the business. They could only be open three hours a day and they would still get all the business.

It may have had to do with church back in the day, but now it doesn't. I also do not think it would be too hard to convince Conservatives to lift the law. Many of them drink, too.

Here is the kicker, if bars and restaurants can serve booze on Sundays, then liquor stores should be able, too, as well. That makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
You can even drive to Wisconsin if you are so inclined! (If you live in the North metro, taking a nice Sunday drive along Highway 96 to Wisconsin is quite pleasant, and provides nearly a straightshot to a Wisconsin liquor store if you cross over the lift bridge)
Yes, you can, but it is technically illegal and the Highway Patrol can stop and search if they suspect you crossed the border to purchase booze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Again, compromise will be king in making any kind of change. I'd start with Sundays...
You didn't answer the question. How does someone else drinking on Sunday ruin it for you?

Remember Prohibition? You know people were allowed rations of real wine for religious purposes, don't you? And I am not just talking about church officials.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The cities I've traveled to that left some of the more lasting imprints were cities with lots of outdoor sculptures.

That bronze herd of cattle outside the Dallas Convention Center: it blew me away! And the bronze wild mustangs at Las Colinas, also in the Dallas area!

That two-story bear outside the Denver Convention Center, peering inside the building: priceless!

There's certainly enough artists in the Twin Cities area which could create some impressionable outdoor sculptures to attract, not only locals, but tourists as well.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1. Expand the Sunday ban on liquor sales to the sale of most goods on Sunday (convenience stores, restaurants, amusement parks, places of recreation, etc.). We need to reclaim Sunday as a family day from the grips of consumerism.
2. Introduce and pass game-changing abortion restrictions a la South Dakota
3. More local restaurants / businesses, particularly in the metro suburbs
4. Pass a state injunction dismantling and permanently banning homeowner's associations, period.
I'd be all for that, except for banning Sunday commerce. I agree with the sentiment, but it would cripple our economy. I'd take the abortion restrictions one step further and outright ban abortions in all cases.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Keep liquor stores open until at least 11 pm, even on Sundays.

Get rid of timed traffic lights. Seriously, stupidest thing ever. Anyone who has lived in a state where traffic lights are controlled by sensors-not timers-knows what I am talking about.

Lite Rail should have right-of-way. What the heck it stops at traffic lights is beyond me. The lights should turn in favor for the Lite Rail.

Remove every-other bus stop, at least. Does their seriously need to be a bus stop on every block? Sometimes two?

Get rid of all the damm stop signs. It seems like you cannot drive more than a block without running into one.

Get rid of Lake Calhoun. Seriously. The water is gross and people treat this thing like it is Club Med or something. It is just a small lake in the middle of the city.

Get more, cheaper, Mexican food! Yeah, I am originally from California-a place where you can get a [real] burrito made from a tortilla the size of a man-hole cover for $5.

Keep the Vikings stadium downtown.

Re-think Snow Emergency protocol. Seriously, what a confusing mess.

Yes, but this is also a left-over from Prohibition Era days. During Prohibition, the production, sale, and consumption of 3.2 was allowed. It was a way to appease the more "unruly" citizens who were upset by Prohibition. Why it stuck around is beyond me, but rest assured that Minnesota is not the only state to have it.

The "Sunday Law" was a hold over from when Prohibition was repealed in the State of Minnesota. It was basically an agreement in order to pass a repeal on the ban on booze. The state allowed liquor stores to open up on Superbowl Sunday when the Super Bowl was held in MPLS. But, they quickly changed their mind as the result of too much domestic violence that weekend. Of course, it being the Super Bowl had nothing to do with that But, alas, the "State" has since used that day as an example of why LQs are closed on Sundays.

Actually, it is the Liquor Store Lobby that keeps them closed. In case you haven't noticed, liquor stores are few and far between in the TC. They get all the business. They could only be open three hours a day and they would still get all the business.

It may have had to do with church back in the day, but now it doesn't. I also do not think it would be too hard to convince Conservatives to lift the law. Many of them drink, too.

Here is the kicker, if bars and restaurants can serve booze on Sundays, then liquor stores should be able, too, as well. That makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, you can, but it is technically illegal and the Highway Patrol can stop and search if they suspect you crossed the border to purchase booze.

You didn't answer the question. How does someone else drinking on Sunday ruin it for you?

Remember Prohibition? You know people were allowed rations of real wine for religious purposes, don't you? And I am not just talking about church officials.
No it isn't. Where did you get that crazy idea? I think you are confusing that with fireworks, the kind which are illegal to have in MN-which the state patrol DOES stop people for but going to Wisconsin to buy alcohol is in no way illegal

Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

It doesn't "ruin" it for me....I said if you want to change something you'll need to give in a little and I think it should start with Sundays. Religiously, I don't think people need to drink LIQUOR on Sundays but that's just me and that applies mostly to people who are religious, but it's not my mandate at all. In fact, if you could drink anything on Sundays it wouldn't diminish my quality of life at all, but like I said, I think if you want to make a change and you have two sides who don't want to budge I think you need to start somewhere and that place (to me) is prohibiting liquor sales on Sundays.....just me, me, me, me, me.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
I still don't understand why Minnesota doesn't allow beer sales in grocery stores and gas stations. I thought only Canada did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul