Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 PM

23,245 posts, read 29,098,666 times
More urban sitting benches (Can there ever be enough of them?) and easy to find restrooms is a great plus for any city.

And given the grayness of MN winters, colorful murals, neon lighting wherever possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM

67 posts, read 149,218 times
They actually do have a indoor artificial park
It's called Edinborough Park, although not known well
We should make a bigger one and have it well advertised plus more realistic
I think we should create a virtual barrier to stop the creation of new suburbs
We could do it while having open spaces and beautiful lake views like the west metro
I think SOME school districts need to join in with others
Look at Hennipen County Library System
its #2 in the nation !!!! Heading to the crown

Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,762,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
It's funny that you mention the indoor park thing. I had this brainstorm about a business idea - indoor dog park. Take some run down strip mall, like the one in Burnsville at Cty 5 and Burnsville Parkway, and put in a play area for dogs and walking track. I think my dogs are already going stir crazy.

Then I started thinking about all the issues like dog waste, barking, biting, ventilation, liability and most of all - what do you do in the 8 months when it's nice and nobody will pay?

Just another brainstorm that has no merit - unless you like it in which case you are free to steal my idea as long as I get a free pass to try it out.
It could work, just make it a doggy daycare in the summer! I once held a brief temp job in LA in a semi-industrial area, and used to walk past one of them on a regular basis. There were windows, and it looked like one big open space with a couple of old couches plopped in the middle; a couple of dogs were always napping on the couches, while the rest looked like they were having a great time running around. LA didn't have the same weather issues as here, of course, so I assume this was geared towards people who worked long hours and wanted their dogs to have time to run around during the day.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,128,477 times
Confine urban sprawl, first and foremost (although this will never happen as long as the Governor keeps putting people with ties to suburban development on the Met Council).

Some people may think roads are cheap. They are not. And their cost is hidden within the system. Taxpayers are subsidizing the desire of developers to build further and further out, where land is cheaper and they can make a bigger buck. The infrastructure needed to sustain those new developments falls squarely on the shoulder of taxpayers. You are paying to run new waste management lines, gas & electrical lines and pavement to those cul-de-sacs. Not to mention the annual upkeep.

On a related note, continue infill building and development. There is a lot of vacant land available in the central cities that can easily accommodate growth for years.

Increase density and rebuild the Twin Cities' once mighty streetcar system.

Overhaul - or, as Thomas Fisher suggests, eliminate - the zoning system. Bureaucratically enforced separation of uses is economically wasteful and a burden of resources. And it's contrary to 5,000 years of city evolution.

Regarding liquor sales on Sunday - yes, that's a holdover of the "Blue Laws" that give preferential treatment to the Christian sabbath. Seems unconstitutional to me.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 PM

455 posts, read 639,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Regarding liquor sales on Sunday - yes, that's a holdover of the "Blue Laws" that give preferential treatment to the Christian sabbath. Seems unconstitutional to me.
I'm not expressing a policy preference here, but I'd like to hear your case that a statute prohibiting liquor sales on Sunday is unconstitutional.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,995,091 times
More nonstop international flights to the area! Even if it means approaching airlines other than Delta for it!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

143 posts, read 478,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3rdwash View Post
They actually do have a indoor artificial park
It's called Edinborough Park, although not known well
We should make a bigger one and have it well advertised plus more realistic
I think we should create a virtual barrier to stop the creation of new suburbs
We could do it while having open spaces and beautiful lake views like the west metro
I think SOME school districts need to join in with others
Look at Hennipen County Library System
its #2 in the nation !!!! Heading to the crown
Edinborough isn't my cup of tea. It's pretty small and serves too many purposes. I wish there were more places like Como! I went there with some friends last weekend to escape the winter cold and visit the "tropics".

The Zoo is also open 365 days per year, and it's not so crowded. Many of the buildings had absolutely no one in them, making for a fun experience watching the animals.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Edinborough isn't my cup of tea. It's pretty small and serves too many purposes. I wish there were more places like Como! I went there with some friends last weekend to escape the winter cold and visit the "tropics".

The Zoo is also open 365 days per year, and it's not so crowded. Many of the buildings had absolutely no one in them, making for a fun experience watching the animals.
Como is awesome. We probably go there 10 times a year. I agree that few other places in the area offer good indoor entertainment in the winter.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM

117 posts, read 377,991 times
How about a separation of church and state against blue laws! Abolish the Met Council.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 22,117 times
I think the Sunday liquor law is somewhat ridiculous. How many people in this state get drunk watching football every Sunday? You can go to a bar and get drunk on Sunday. You can buy booze on Saturday to get drunk with on Sunday, but for some reason you can't purchase beer to take home on Sunday. So dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul