Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Maybe this deserves its own thread, but: the growing/expanding "trend" of using words/terms that are inaccurate to describe individuals and how the individuals are allegedly connected.
In the distant past I saw very little of it, and one person referred to it as "phony relatives."

One recent example: a neighbor was going on and on about 'her husband' this and 'her husband' that, and when she was finished venting she added 'but I've never been married- I never want to get married!'
Another example: person was remarking she was glad her 'son-in-law' was coming over that night because he was a good cook and was going to make dinner- person she was referring to was her teenage daughter's latest boyfriend.
Really weird example: a guy called his boss to apologize and explain he'd be late for work because he was helping someone who was ill- 'my wife- no, wait, my girlfriend- no, my wife...'

It's going the full range- from referring to live-ins as husbands or wives, to calling one's boyfriends/girlfriends one's children's 'step-parents,' to leaving off the 'in-law' so there's no distinction between your child and your child's spouse, etc. etc.

Whether people think they're being cute or are intentionally being manipulative, it's a negative thing.
I've even seen it in reverse- one example was a young woman who'd met her father for the first time, and people were later remarking 'oh, he's someone you call your dad;' and a ridiculous experience I had a few years ago- 'that young guy is somebody you call your son?' (not unless I raised somebody else's kid!!!)
LOL this reminds me of Dr Laura - when someone calls in and says something about "my fiance" and living with him, Dr Laura will say, "Do you have a ring and a date?" If the person says "No," she says, "Then he's not your fiance. He's your shack up honey."

Words have meanings.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In NYC, we have Houston Street, which is pronounced locally as "House-ton". In my town, there is a road named Jacques Lane, and the local tradition is to pronounce it as "Jakes" Lane. However, I was talking about names from world geography, with which I would hope that an adult would have some familiarity.

I can tell you that, as an elementary school kid, I knew the difference between Grenada and Granada, and I also knew how to properly pronounce Edinburgh. Yes, I was a geography and history nerd , but if I knew these things by the age of 11 or 12, shouldn't a college-educated adult whose livelihood depends on pronouncing words correctly have this knowledge? Isn't this part of the broad cultural knowledge that people should have if they are going to read news stories to us?

My bachelors is a BFA and when I did my practice time in a local high school, the teacher often mispronounced words. Many students knew she was mistaken and I often saw them roll their eyes at her errors.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:41 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My bachelors is a BFA and when I did my practice time in a local high school, the teacher often mispronounced words. Many students knew she was mistaken and I often saw them roll their eyes at her errors.
My English teacher during my sophomore year of high school was...one of those.
Her mispronunciation that really sticks in my mind (or, is it my craw? ) was how she pronounced Yosemite. When a student who was reading aloud pronounced it correctly, Mrs. Forester chided her by saying, "No, no dear...It's pronounced Yose-might".

I'm not sure how many others in my class knew that she was wrong, but I surely did.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

"Its would be better I think to use who are dangers."

Your guess is as good as mine.

Or, should I have stated, "You're gas its would be are gud as mind"?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
"Its would be better I think to use who are dangers."

Your guess is as good as mine.

Or, should I have stated, "You're gas its would be are gud as mind"?

Yep, sometimes " " is the only accurate response!!!

Old 09-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Her mispronunciation that really sticks in my mind (or, is it my craw? ) was how she pronounced Yosemite. When a student who was reading aloud pronounced it correctly, Mrs. Forester chided her by saying, "No, no dear...It's pronounced Yose-might".

I'm not sure how many others in my class knew that she was wrong, but I surely did.

For one of my classes I had to meet with someone who had a list of 50 commonly mispronounced words. The one I missed was mischievous. Just now, I looked it up and you won't be surprised to know the way I pronounced it back then (mis chee v us) is now also correct, but not to me. lol

Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
For one of my classes I had to meet with someone who had a list of 50 commonly mispronounced words. The one I missed was mischievous. Just now, I looked it up and you won't be surprised to know the way I pronounced it back then (mis chee v us) is now also correct, but not to me. lol
I don't think so:

How to pronounce mischievous in English

Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Whichever dictionary one uses tells the tale.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 AM

"he probably thinks he doesnt need antipersprint either and must smell wonderfull when he sweats"

Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:

Well, that IS correct, if she was referring to the small (very small) town in Kentucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing