Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times

Advertisements

I already seen this.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 9,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Yes, please.

'Teared' for 'tore.' 'Maked' for 'made.' 'Drawed' for 'drew.'

I see and hear this ALL the time.
You must live in the south as well lol.
I work retail and I hear this so much. It gets even more infuriating when I hear young children using these words, and the parents failing to correct them. It makes me wonder what on earth teachers are even doing nowadays.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:55 PM

19,160 posts, read 25,405,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
It makes me wonder what on earth teachers are even doing nowadays.
I seriously doubt if teachers are instructing children to speak like that.
Instead, this is a case of those kids hearing such utterances from their parents, and simply parroting it.

It is very difficult for teachers to nullify whatever takes place in the home, be it language mistakes, or negative behaviors.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 PM

10 posts, read 9,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I seriously doubt if teachers are instructing children to speak like that.
Instead, this is a case of those kids hearing such utterances from their parents, and simply parroting it.

It is very difficult for teachers to nullify whatever takes place in the home, be it language mistakes, or negative behaviors.

Ohhh no no no, I'm not saying the teachers are teaching them; more so I wish the teachers would correct them if they use those "words" (if we can call them that) in school. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 09-12-2015, 12:09 AM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The State of Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles, Title Section has an official form for situations when a person or company is known by two names. Form# DR2421 is the State of Colorado "Statement of One in the Same". It has two blank lines separated by "and", followed by "are one in the same", with a check box for "person" or "company".

The form has been in use since at least 2006. Has no one told them in the last nine years that they got the phrase wrong?

Sigh...
It would probably cost too much to correct. Hopefully they'll get it right next time around.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:32 AM

From a thread that cannot be named:

"No new partner does not need to know nothing about your ex partners!"

Old 09-12-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It would probably cost too much to correct. Hopefully they'll get it right next time around.
That is a possibility, or the other possibility is that nobody in that state agency who knows how to express himself/herself in correct English has actually looked at the form.

In my school district (in the days before computerized grading forms), the paper form that home instructors would fill-out to report the grades of their home-bound students had spaces for two grades. One was labeled "Academic", and the other one was labeled "Attidtude" .

It wasn't until one of my students was receiving home instruction that I finally got to view one of those forms, and I immediately phoned the Board of Ed's Department of Special Services to report this appalling misspelling. The secretary to whom I spoke asked me, "Are you sure that it is misspelled?" She then added, "I'm the one who created the form a few years ago, and it looks okay to me".

My response was, "I'll hold on while you get a dictionary". A couple of minutes later, she returned and admitted that the word "attitude" was misspelled. However, she then added that they had to use-up a few hundred of these forms until such time as they could be re-ordered with the correct spelling.

So, it is entirely possible that the Colorado form hasn't yet been viewed by anyone in the agency who would actually know that the verbiage is wrong.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
Your gonna have the gut the entire school board and any thing to do with it to ever get any where. Not keep paying off the under qualified use less individuals you hired previous, to keep giving advice that didn't work in the first place.

Wonder why the district does not have money to educate there kids they Waste money on paying a animate for a job she did not even get why is this is it a race issue.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Your gonna have the gut the entire school board and any thing to do with it to ever get any where. Not keep paying off the under qualified use less individuals you hired previous, to keep giving advice that didn't work in the first place.

Wonder why the district does not have money to educate there kids they Waste money on paying a animate for a job she did not even get why is this is it a race issue.

Yet another expert on the topic of education!
You have to love the irony...

Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times
A comment on an article about a new brand of teatime treats:

"Those sandwiches on the last picture look discussing!"

Well, often one does dish during afternoon tea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.