Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,361,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, now - enough is enough.

Not once, but TWICE this week I've heard newscasters on national television say "supposably." The word is "supposedly!!!!!!!!!" STOP THE MADNESS!
I can't recall where I read it, but newscasters have been given the go-ahead to say liBERRY and FebUERRY because the mispronunciations are so popular these days...

Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I can't recall where I read it, but newscasters have been given the go-ahead to say liBERRY and FebUERRY because the mispronunciations are so popular these days...
Say it ain't so!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 AM

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but: the growing/expanding "trend" of using words/terms that are inaccurate to describe individuals and how the individuals are allegedly connected.
In the distant past I saw very little of it, and one person referred to it as "phony relatives."

One recent example: a neighbor was going on and on about 'her husband' this and 'her husband' that, and when she was finished venting she added 'but I've never been married- I never want to get married!'
Another example: person was remarking she was glad her 'son-in-law' was coming over that night because he was a good cook and was going to make dinner- person she was referring to was her teenage daughter's latest boyfriend.
Really weird example: a guy called his boss to apologize and explain he'd be late for work because he was helping someone who was ill- 'my wife- no, wait, my girlfriend- no, my wife...'

It's going the full range- from referring to live-ins as husbands or wives, to calling one's boyfriends/girlfriends one's children's 'step-parents,' to leaving off the 'in-law' so there's no distinction between your child and your child's spouse, etc. etc.

Whether people think they're being cute or are intentionally being manipulative, it's a negative thing.
I've even seen it in reverse- one example was a young woman who'd met her father for the first time, and people were later remarking 'oh, he's someone you call your dad;' and a ridiculous experience I had a few years ago- 'that young guy is somebody you call your son?' (not unless I raised somebody else's kid!!!)

Old 09-05-2015, 10:04 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,661,959 times
Just flipping through channels and came across this gem of a show description:

A couple in Dothan, Ala., tries to get its pre-Civil War log cabin ready before its baby arrives.

lol

Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM

37,138 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Just flipping through channels and came across this gem of a show description:

A couple in Dothan, Ala., tries to get its pre-Civil War log cabin ready before its baby arrives.

lol
Baby log cabin:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...95a2e0f.v1.jpg

Old 09-05-2015, 11:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,456,545 times
Quote:
If that is true, then there is no point to anything much about word usage. Junior High students must be in charge of these decisions. I'm going to go conversate with someone, which must be acceptable if liberry is.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not once, but TWICE this week I've heard newscasters on national television say "supposably." The word is "supposedly!!!!!!!!!" STOP THE MADNESS!
Quote:
I don't know about the area where you folks live, but the current crop of extremely young newscasters in NYC can't pronounce Edinburgh properly, and--to a man (or woman)--they all pronounce it as Edin-Berg. (For those who might be puzzled, the correct pronunciation is Edin-Boro.

However, this geographic ignorance is--unfortunately--not really a new trend. For many years, the "dean" of the local newscasters at WCBS in NYC was Jim Jensen. When our forces invaded the island of Grenada during the Reagan administration, Jim told his viewers that our forces had invaded Granada. I can remember thinking...Why did Ronnie declare war on Spain?...until I saw the news in print and realized that we had actually invaded the Caribbean island with a similar spelling and a different pronunciation of its name.

And, just to continue the theme of newscaster bashing...Why do so many of them continue to show their phony smile while reporting a story that is tragic?
Just this morning, the young woman doing the local news on WCBS smiled through about 75% of a news story that she was reading, and that event about which she was reporting had resulted in multiple deaths! It was as if she finally realized the inappropriateness of that smile toward the very end of the piece, when her expression suddenly became...deadpan.

Do these talking heads read news stories without actually understanding what they are reading?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,840,856 times
My wife's niece uses "prolly", instead of probably, and a whole gamut of a few letters representing the English language in her conversations. A complete disregard for the spoken/written word is, to me a shame.

I'm curious if the English language will one day be morphed into a slang-speak form of dialect? A sad prospect to envision.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
My wife's niece uses "prolly", instead of probably, and a whole gamut of a few letters representing the English language in her conversations. A complete disregard for the spoken/written word is, to me a shame.

I'm curious if the English language will one day be morphed into a slang-speak form of dialect? A sad prospect to envision.
Orly?

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
"I have a bother who is really messed up on drugs and has gone downhill the past couple of months."

Siblings are a real bother, aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.