Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 03:46 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,367,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK - thanks for the Sunday morning lecture. Just what I needed in my quest to become more holy!

I would bet that a good portion of the posts we quote on this thread may be by people who have a learning disability too - perhaps dyslexia. Maybe their mothers drank when they were pregnant and the people we're quoting are doing the best they can possibly do. Maybe they suffered a concussion or a stroke and are now language impaired - who knows?

If we got hung up on all that, this thread would quickly die.

I still find reading the post I quoted painful. You can hate on me all you like for that. It's no skin off my back.

Have a great day.
That was not intended to be a lecture or to be a message of "hate", so please allow me to assure you that you have grossly overreacted to a statement of my personal feelings on the topic. Others may feel differently, as is allowed in a democracy.

I sincerely hope that you also have a great day, and that you don't take my comment personally.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM

...and to return to the theme of this thread, here is a relevant photo.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That was not intended to be a lecture or to be a message of "hate", so please allow me to assure you that you have grossly overreacted to a statement of my personal feelings on the topic. Others may feel differently, as is allowed in a democracy.

I sincerely hope that you also have a great day, and that you don't take my comment personally.

I wasn't upset by it, if that's what you mean. And I did have a very good day, just for the record. Thanks!

My point - which is also allowed in a democracy - is that many of the quotes that are showcased, and shuddered over, on this thread are probably written by people who haven't had the advantages or been blessed with the talents that those of us who love the written word find come more naturally to us.

I doubt very seriously that they peruse this particular section of the forum, since obviously writing is not something they're particularly interested in. So I don't worry about being politically correct or "generous" or very "forgiving" when it comes to poking some fun at some of the shenanigans I see around here - or in the general public for that matter.

If you see me calling someone out personally or making fun of someone's spelling or grammar on a particular thread, then that's different. But you won't see that from me. I'm not a cruel person - just a bit irreverent.

I know what struggling with a second language is all about by the way - which is why I don't spend much time on German forums. A little knowledge in the hands of a fool is a dangerous thing. For all I know, I could inadvertently tell someone to set their mother on fire or something.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,329,079 times
"I don't care about Miley Cyrus antiques"
I didn't know she collected antiques!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
"He may not of been funny sometimes."

Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,915,350 times
In an online review of a restaurant:

"Also ordered the vegetables of the day which were string beans w beacon; another well prepared dish"

The highlight of the meal, no doubt!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
Durr, my grammar wuz greatily improved when I stopped eating lead paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, whoever left me the negative comment as a "rep," - that IS against the TOS, and your rep can be traced. I'm not going to bother reporting it, so don't worry - just a friendly reminder.

Sign your name next time, or send a private message. I respect that a lot more because it's not anonymous. Anonymous comments have a particularly snarky, cowardly vibe to them, don't you think?
I have had a few of those negative reps myself. Or else they wait for me to post somewhere then they post some vague all-inclusive put down. That way they can say they were not talking about me.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,360,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
In an online review of a restaurant:

"Also ordered the vegetables of the day which were string beans w beacon; another well prepared dish"

The highlight of the meal, no doubt!
Perfect when someone wants a 'light' lunch...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:45 AM

7,337 posts, read 2,746,198 times
Seen on several handwritten signs: "Yard Sell"

Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 AM

"Or the motorcyclist who gets hit, does some sort of summersault, and lands on the hood of the car..."

Offhand, I think that wintersaults are probably much more dangerous than those summersaults....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.