Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 09:29 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The older generation came of age at a time when pensions were still at least a conceivable possibility.
Not really - that was during the older generation's parent's generation.

At any rate, pensions are a bad thing for several reasons.

1) Most pensions discourage economic mobility.
2) The notion of a defined benefit relies upon the longevity of the life of the employer. Employers have life expectancies just as people do. Employers are born, achieve adolescence, age, and die. Thus the entire concept of a pension is that the employer is immortal, and that just isn't the case. Government entities excluded, of course.
3) Employees should plan for and take actions for their own golden years via a defined contribution plan that is theirs.
4) The concept of transfer-of-risk from employee to employer is silly. Employers are not skilled in risk assessment unless they are insurance companies. It gives employees a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 09:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

4) The concept of transfer-of-risk from employee to employer is silly. Employers are not skilled in risk assessment unless they are insurance companies. It gives employees a false sense of security.
So, like employer sponsored healthcare?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:33 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's somewhat related. Older people are more likely to have houses or pre-existing money. They don't need the money from the job to actually survive.

I've been noticing median age of hiring pools getting quite a bit older.
I don't want to be one of "those old guys," but...

I'm 36. My girlfriend's son, daughter, daughter's boyfriend are all 18-23. They all have, to me, a shocking lack of critical thinking skills. The daughter's boyfriend is dumb as a box of rocks.

When I talk to most people that age, most of them don't seem to be able to focus for very long, nor carry a deeper conversation. They might know the answer to something, but it feels more like a rote memorization rather than actually working through a problem.

Are there exceptions? Sure there are, but I blame a lot of this on having a cell phone in hand from an early age. Technology should be a tool to augment your own understanding and thinking skills, not working as a replacement for it.

I think that's a big reason why older workers are in demand.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:30 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Anecdotal stories are nice but is there any statistical data to show that older workers are being hired at greater rates recently?
People 55 and older are the fastest-growing segment of the workforce, according to federal data:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2021/nu...nt-by-2030.htm

Old 04-18-2023, 11:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Not hiring over 55, just existing labor force is aging
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-18-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
People 55 and older are the fastest-growing segment of the workforce, according to federal data:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2021/nu...nt-by-2030.htm
That's likely because people are living longer and working longer.

If you look at the 2nd chart below, that groups' participation rate in the labor force is 8.9% compared to 81.4% for the 21-54 age group. They are by no means the largest segment of the working population in the U.S., not even close.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not hiring over 55, just existing labor force is aging
100% this.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:01 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
just an personal observation, I'm seeing a lot of seniors working in fast food jobs. Flexible schedules, $16-18 an hour to start and it gets them out of the house.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:42 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't want to be one of "those old guys," but...

I'm 36. My girlfriend's son, daughter, daughter's boyfriend are all 18-23. They all have, to me, a shocking lack of critical thinking skills. The daughter's boyfriend is dumb as a box of rocks.

When I talk to most people that age, most of them don't seem to be able to focus for very long, nor carry a deeper conversation. They might know the answer to something, but it feels more like a rote memorization rather than actually working through a problem.

Are there exceptions? Sure there are, but I blame a lot of this on having a cell phone in hand from an early age. Technology should be a tool to augment your own understanding and thinking skills, not working as a replacement for it.

I think that's a big reason why older workers are in demand.
And what would your critical thinking 36 year old self think of talking to your old self at age 18-23?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:53 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Anecdotal stories are nice but is there any statistical data to show that older workers are being hired at greater rates recently?
Or that older workers have stronger work ethic…

Or…

Nah we’ll just have to take mr. Confortis word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment