Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 02:25 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My view is different from yours.

I view jobs as jobs and most lower paid jobs have more of a direct benefit to society. Everybody needs a job and should look for a job that matches best.

I'm not a hypocrite and I have no problem driving Uber even though I have 'degrees and experience'.

That said if more middle aged people were open to taking paycuts and stepping down it would benefit YOU. Think it through...

I think people can do what they want, and if someone can live off Uber driving or working in a warehouse or flipping burgers and is happy with that then I am not going to discourage them from doing it.

But most people need a certain amount of income to have the standard of living they desire, and losing out on money in order to pursue something you enjoy generally sounds a lot better at 25 than at 45. At 45 you start seeing the end of those prime working years appearing on the horizon whereas at 25 you figure you got all the time in the world, at 45 you also tend to have significantly higher expenses than you did as a kid (incl. and especially healthcare).

This country is built around striving for success, and it expects its poor to aim for improvement. That's just the reality of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 04:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think people can do what they want, and if someone can live off Uber driving or working in a warehouse or flipping burgers and is happy with that then I am not going to discourage them from doing it.

But most people need a certain amount of income to have the standard of living they desire, and losing out on money in order to pursue something you enjoy generally sounds a lot better at 25 than at 45. At 45 you start seeing the end of those prime working years appearing on the horizon whereas at 25 you figure you got all the time in the world, at 45 you also tend to have significantly higher expenses than you did as a kid (incl. and especially healthcare).

This country is built around striving for success, and it expects its poor to aim for improvement. That's just the reality of it.
Trust me. The US labor force has enough people who are striving for high salaries and corporate management positions.

It doesn't need more.

Now... to actually DO something different (like a radiology tech for instance). Well, that is different. But again ... we're talking in circles. So, I'll just say I'm done.

Last edited by jobaba; 04-14-2023 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 08:46 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
As an employer I have noticed young people are more worried about being able to play on their phone all day and still get paid for doing a job they are neglecting. For many years now they think it is their right to be on their phone all day. I have proven several wrong when I fired their lazy BLEEPS.

To be fair young people have always expected something for nothing but it has gotten WAY worse over the last 30 years. This is in general and of course there are exceptions.
I am seeing this "phone addiction" problem in the high schools and middle schools where I substitute teach. Students just can't stay off their phones, even being on them as they walk to their next class.

Getting them to stay off their phones in class so they can do their assignments is a constant challenge. Students frequently come to me and ask if they can go on their phones once they complete their assignments. There is a look of desperation in their eyes when they ask this, reminds me of junkies who need their next fix of a narcotic and are having withdrawal symptoms. They just can't stay off their phones and they go nuts if they are forced to go off them.

Also the "something for nothing" attitude gets reinforced because students are passed whether they do their work or not. So why should they do their assignments? When I was a long-term sub for a middle school, I taught and graded the assignments for several months. Over 50 percent of my class flunked (less than the passing grade of 70 percent). At the end of the term, I was told to adjust any grade below 70 percent to 70, the minimum passing score. So everyone passed. I should feel proud because all my students were learning. I am a great teacher since everyone passed! So it's a win-win situation. The students are glad that they passed. So are their parents. And the teachers too since they are doing a great job of teaching because not a single student flunked! And the principal is happy too since average grades and graduation rates of his or her school is high, so that appropriate state aid can continue to be sent to this superior school.

So everyone wins. Well, actually no. The students are the losers since they don't have a work ethic and are phone addicts. But these problems show up later when these students enter the work force. I really think that when most of these kind of employees are fired for being on their phones and not accomplishing anything, they don't think that they've done anything wrong. They may go from job to job, get fired and think that it is the employer's fault, not theirs. It is like asking the hardworking older generation not to breathe when they come to work. They would think that's crazy and would breathe anyway. So would the newfangled "phone employees" who don't feel obliged to do any work, stay on their phones and just collect their paychecks without doing any real work. They have been indoctrinated that way in the schools and they don't feel that they are doing anything wrong.

It's a new world with new challenges. A brave new world based on false confidence and no work ethic.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody777 View Post
The younger generation has no patience, with entitlement issues. Bad combination. I work with a 21 year old that says he wants to just start a career being the boss and telling people what to do. I assume they all want that.

We are in trouble
I know multiple people who established successful businesses because they would rather be the boss than be bossed.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:59 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody777 View Post
The younger generation has no patience, with entitlement issues. Bad combination. I work with a 21 year old that says he wants to just start a career being the boss and telling people what to do. I assume they all want that.

We are in trouble
I taught, in the twilight of my career, with more than one new teacher who couldn't figure out why they hadn't been tapped for Admin training yet. Many of them asked that in the first couple months of becoming a teacher.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:16 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
"Older workers with a strong work ethic" = desperate middle aged - seniors with financial issues.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:27 PM

1,012 posts, read 785,071 times
My years of working various jobs i worked with some of the laziest older folks ever.

Younger people will quit a job in flash if they are not feeling it.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:01 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I know multiple people who established successful businesses because they would rather be the boss than be bossed.
And those are not 21 year old ones with no drive.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:03 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
"Older workers with a strong work ethic" = desperate middle aged - seniors with financial issues.
Looking at my personal and professional circles - nobody is desperate or has financial issues but are keeping up with or are ahead of 30ish ones who think they are the cat's meow.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:35 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Seen the trend that at 40 , the career peak happens.
By 45-50/ they are weaning you out of a career and the corporate world.
Agism is real and its practiced alot in BIG business.
Even had the displeasure of listening to a 35 year old BOSS tell me that we all have a time to be put out to pasture. She was covertly laying the foundation for "house cleaning" of staff. Anyone older then her was to be considered- pasture material.

In comes a new business to BUY . The brakes are slammed on her efforts. Most of the young ones left as they saw the acquisition as a threat to their poor habit choices- Yes they had ear buds and phones constantly in use. Yes they breathed and stood on a few occasions to show "proof of life"

Wouldn't you know, that the 30% of staff that was older then HER are all Here. Every last one of us...Over 50 and staying consistent in accountability and duties. Yet the other staff, jumped shipped and now we are working diligently in hiring. So dearly blessed that we DID find some rare Gems that are young, ambitious and seriously whizz's at skills involving the software we utilize. Props to them for talking openly about wishing to get in bigger roles and set themselves up in the company. I can get on board with getting them there...it just takes a two way street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment