Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 05:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Out of the few interviewees they spoke with, it looks like they're mostly hiring for low paying, low skilled jobs. The first guy they mention owns a package shipping business and was looking to hire PT help. I don't know what it pays, but I'd gander it's not much. You get what you pay for.

Old, poor people or old, bored, retired people are much easier to satisfy in terms of pay or type of work. They're not building a career for one, they're just looking for a stream of income and a reason to get out of the house and be around people. At the end of the day, it's about who's easiest to exploit. In this case, it's old retirees with not a lot going on or who are strapped for cash and who don't mind doing a monotonous, dead end job.
All of that makes sense, and it's true, many retirees just want something to do.

But the thread makes all these claims, and I would like to know the numbers, not just opinions.

Has the average age of a hiree up, and up from what? The guy quoted says his company likes to hire older people, well great, for that one company. I doubt that is the general consensus in the tech industry.

I looked quickly to see if I could find numbers, but not really. There was an age/hiring breakdown for the Federal Govt, but that as close as I got.

Seems like just another "kids don't wanna work anymore!" threads, that is the modern day equivalent to "get off my lawn!!!"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 05:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
All of that makes sense, and it's true, many retirees just want something to do.

But the thread makes all these claims, and I would like to know the numbers, not just opinions.

Has the average age of a hiree up, and up from what? The guy quoted says his company likes to hire older people, well great, for that one company. I doubt that is the general consensus in the tech industry.

I looked quickly to see if I could find numbers, but not really. There was an age/hiring breakdown for the Federal Govt, but that as close as I got.

Seems like just another "kids don't wanna work anymore!" threads, that is the modern day equivalent to "get off my lawn!!!"
The same OP posted the thread about posh "$90k sanitation jobs". Multiple people, including myself, demonstrated that this idea was far fetched by pulling the [low] salaries directly from the employer's own job board. I don't think OP or their supporters care about facts or data, especially those that tell a different story. I suspect that most of these comments are more or less focused on expressing resentment about the groups that aren't being praised in these carefully selected articles...the "rich" or middle class worker (referred to as a "soy boy") in the "garbage man" thread, and "lazy" young people in this thread. It's projection and delusion of the worst kind. No, garbage man is not a posh, lucrative job, and no, corporations aren't suddenly in high demand of the retirement age labor force because young people are all incredibly lazy. The reason you're not finding the data that supports this narrative is because it's not real, or at least not the prevailing view, it's what they wish to believe as real.

Last edited by digitalUID; 04-17-2023 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-17-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The same OP posted the thread about posh "$90k sanitation jobs". Multiple people, including myself, demonstrated that this idea was far fetched by pulling the [low] salaries directly from the employer's own job board. I don't think OP or their supporters care about facts or data, especially those that tell a different story. I suspect that most of these comments are more or less focused on expressing resentment about the groups that aren't being praised in these carefully selected articles...the "rich" or middle class worker (referred to as a "soy boy") in the "garbage man" thread, and "lazy" young people in this thread. It's projection and delusion of the worst kind. No, garbage man is not a posh, lucrative job, and no, corporations aren't suddenly in high demand of the retirement age labor force.

I'm a retiree, and it cracks me up. A friend went on a quick rant on how "nobody wants to work!!!"

Then went on to say later that his son, who makes very good money, is taking time off before he looks for a new job to do stuff around the house, and in general add to his quality of life right now.

I'm like, uhhhhh..... so your son is one of those not working that you ranted about?

We are short of workers. During 2021, 1M extra elders retired. We lost 500,000 working individuals to Covid. We lost 1M to long covid and to caretaking ill family members. It was another 1M lost that was associated with immigration.

And a bunch of people who took a look around and decided they wanted a job that allows to have a life too.

I can't say I blame them, it seems like a reasonable view. I come from the generation where you were expected work when your off (phone calls at 7pm, etc), where I worked 16 hours a day six days a week, where after work cocktails and constant networking were expected.

It's ridiculous, we are one of the richest countries, and we treat our workers horrible compared to other first world countries.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I'm a retiree, and it cracks me up. A friend went on a quick rant on how "nobody wants to work!!!"

Then went on to say later that his son, who makes very good money, is taking time off before he looks for a new job to do stuff around the house, and in general add to his quality of life right now.

I'm like, uhhhhh..... so your son is one of those not working that you ranted about?

We are short of workers. During 2021, 1M extra elders retired. We lost 500,000 working individuals to Covid. We lost 1M to long covid and to caretaking ill family members. It was another 1M lost that was associated with immigration.

And a bunch of people who took a look around and decided they wanted a job that allows to have a life too.

I can't say I blame them, it seems like a reasonable view. I come from the generation where you were expected work when your off (phone calls at 7pm, etc), where I worked 16 hours a day six days a week, where after work cocktails and constant networking were expected.

It's ridiculous, we are one of the richest countries, and we treat our workers horrible compared to other first world countries.
Have an updoot, as they'd say on reddit.

I 100% agree with you on everything you said. This is what the powers that be have established for us though: infighting. They want us to fight amongst ourselves to distract from the fact that they are robbing us blind. They want to pit old against young, middle class against working class, brother against brother, etc. And I hate to say this, but a lot of dumb/aggrieved people run with these narratives because they are easily manipulated and angry and looking for someone to point the finger at. So, we just get tied up in debating this trivial, hyperbolic nonsense instead of celebrating one another's victories (with work, education, family, or otherwise). Instead, we're pedaling resentment towards one another 24/7, 365. My own working class, elder relatives mock my 1st gen college graduation achievements while simultaneously wearing "Proud Mom/Dad/Uncle of Alumn" t-shirts. This is the state of our country. Sad.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Have an updoot, as they'd say on reddit.

I 100% agree with you on everything you said. This is what the powers that be have established for us though: infighting. They want us to fight amongst ourselves to distract from the fact that they are robbing us blind. They want to pit old against young, middle class against working class, brother against brother, etc. And I hate to say this, but a lot of dumb/aggrieved people run with these narratives because they are easily manipulated and angry and looking for someone to point the finger at. So, we just get tied up in debating this trivial, hyperbolic nonsense instead of celebrating one another's victories (with work, education, family, or otherwise). Instead, we're pedaling resentment towards one another 24/7, 365. My own working class, elder relatives mock my 1st gen college graduation achievements while simultaneously wearing "Proud Mom/Dad/Uncle of Alumn" t-shirts. This is the state of our country. Sad.

/standing ovation

One of the best things I have read on the internet this month.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:43 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
What if I told you that one’s salary has very little to do with one’s skills for 90% of workers? Industry (esp gross margins) , timing, location, relationships with management, etc. have much, much more to do with one’s salary.

I’m not that old but it didn’t take me long to realize that. At the end of the day, it’s just a game. Unless you’re part of the top 10% who are true superstars, no one cares about your productivity all that much. You’re just a warm body that the business (supposedly) needs in order to sustain itself.

For the past 5 years, I have made what I consider stupid money as a regular W-2 employee. Do I work any harder than when I made 4 times or even 8 times less. In fact, I worked harder when I made much less money.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post

For the past 5 years, I have made what I consider stupid money as a regular W-2 employee. Do I work any harder than when I made 4 times or even 8 times less. In fact, I worked harder when I made much less money.
I was in a rough spot a few years back working in a very hectic, albeit well-paid job at a toxic company. I had this delusion where I'd fantasize about the old times working in jobs with less responsibility making less. So I took several steps back and worked in a relatively entry level role, and lemme tell ya I woke up from that fantasy real fast. The hard lesson I learned during that time was that the lower the pay/skill job, the harder they work you and the worse they tend to treat you. I have gradually started making my way back up to where I left off, and the roles don't even compare. I make considerably more money, am treated with a lot more respect, and have far more flexibility than I ever had in the lower paying role.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:

What's becoming more important as well is sometimes people don't want to work for someone. I'm an accountant. Last job I took I expected there to be problems as I was called on Sunday interviewed Monday and but in the seat Tuesday. They were riding the last IPO out of town (via SPAC) and I wanted the experience.

The CFO was insane. She believed in the up until bed motiff and liked to complain about not having taken a day off (including Saturdays and Sundays) for 3 years. Every position in the department had turned multiple times and they were running on empty right before going public. Oh, and they're on freaking Quickbooks.

Now, I do understand that she was working really hard and we all should work hard....but she was also full of hypocricy. Her communication was horrible. She would get angry if anyone wanted to work from home for a day (or partial day), but she herself worked from home most days. She lived/died off e-mail. We couldn't get a big picture sync, but she'd wheel in on bills to be paid early or late.

The reality is, under this lady, the department was never going to get out from needing these tremendous time commitments. There's hard work, and then there's work harder not smarter. I gave up my Christmas vacation for this idiot, and she was mad that I didn't demand the same from my reports.

At any rate, I built her a team and we started gelling. We started picking off low hanging fruit and prepping for a jump into Netsuite. Then my mom got very very ill extremely suddenly. I approached my boss. I said, I will need some time. My mother has three possible outcomes. One, she dies and in a week or so. Two, she loses her leg. Three, there's a program they want to try. I will not need to be there for most of it, but I need to get things established and she'll have an 8 month recovery during which they've removed her hip and have a false leg bone.

She went radio silent. (Her fatal flaw is she doesn't know how to say no, she pleases or she passes off and says nothing). HR thanked me for the heads up. I let everyone know where I was going, when I'd be back and everyone had my contact information. It was going to take me about 2.5 weeks to get everything ready. I was still on PTO time when she terminated employment.

Now, a month later, the staff is running away. And with kharma being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't hit with a slew of International, Federal and State laws they've been non-compliant with. Never went that far. Never had someone like her before.

Young people won't work for non-caring idiots anymore. Not when there's choices. You're hiring colleagues, not slaves. Everyone has choices now. Even the undocumented have choices.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:30 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
What's becoming more important as well is sometimes people don't want to work for someone. I'm an accountant. Last job I took I expected there to be problems as I was called on Sunday interviewed Monday and but in the seat Tuesday. They were riding the last IPO out of town (via SPAC) and I wanted the experience.

The CFO was insane. She believed in the up until bed motiff and liked to complain about not having taken a day off (including Saturdays and Sundays) for 3 years. Every position in the department had turned multiple times and they were running on empty right before going public. Oh, and they're on freaking Quickbooks.

Now, I do understand that she was working really hard and we all should work hard....but she was also full of hypocricy. Her communication was horrible. She would get angry if anyone wanted to work from home for a day (or partial day), but she herself worked from home most days. She lived/died off e-mail. We couldn't get a big picture sync, but she'd wheel in on bills to be paid early or late.

The reality is, under this lady, the department was never going to get out from needing these tremendous time commitments. There's hard work, and then there's work harder not smarter. I gave up my Christmas vacation for this idiot, and she was mad that I didn't demand the same from my reports.

At any rate, I built her a team and we started gelling. We started picking off low hanging fruit and prepping for a jump into Netsuite. Then my mom got very very ill extremely suddenly. I approached my boss. I said, I will need some time. My mother has three possible outcomes. One, she dies and in a week or so. Two, she loses her leg. Three, there's a program they want to try. I will not need to be there for most of it, but I need to get things established and she'll have an 8 month recovery during which they've removed her hip and have a false leg bone.

She went radio silent. (Her fatal flaw is she doesn't know how to say no, she pleases or she passes off and says nothing). HR thanked me for the heads up. I let everyone know where I was going, when I'd be back and everyone had my contact information. It was going to take me about 2.5 weeks to get everything ready. I was still on PTO time when she terminated employment.

Now, a month later, the staff is running away. And with kharma being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't hit with a slew of International, Federal and State laws they've been non-compliant with. Never went that far. Never had someone like her before.

Young people won't work for non-caring idiots anymore. Not when there's choices. You're hiring colleagues, not slaves. Everyone has choices now. Even the undocumented have choices.
If you actually believed her with regard to not taking a day off in 3 years, I have a bridge to sell you. My number #1 rule is if someone is talking about something a lot, 99% of the time they’re either putting on a facade or outright lying.

You even said that she worked from home most days. She was “working” real hard. You got played by her. I’ve seen these types. They’re a dime a dozen. They’ve lied so much, for so long and they’ve climbed the corporate ladder high enough that they start to believe their own BS. They answer an email at 8pm with “OK” and they think that constitutes work. Meanwhile, during the day they **** around in useless meetings to eat up time.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
If you actually believed her with regard to not taking a day off in 3 years, I have a bridge to sell you. My number #1 rule is if someone is talking about something a lot, 99% of the time they’re either putting on a facade or outright lying.

You even said that she worked from home most days. She was “working” real hard. You got played by her. I’ve seen these types. They’re a dime a dozen. They’ve lied so much, for so long and they’ve climbed the corporate ladder high enough that they start to believe their own BS. They answer an email at 8pm with “OK” and they think that constitutes work. Meanwhile, during the day they **** around in useless meetings to eat up time.
So you've worked at some startups I see.

100% spot on depiction of that culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment