Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 04:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Meanwhile, I recently met a 50-something woman while on assignment a few years ago who has jumped ship multiple times seeking harmony. The real problem I see is that older people are seemingly frowned up when they do that, because they're perceived as unstable or whatever. I think it's a complete crock and people should do what's best for themselves.
Very few people do as you describe in the white collar world.

They either try and grind it out or get kicked off the track and 'retire early' or piece something together. A few people try and switch and become nurses and teachers, and such, but most people do it way earlier. Ironically, I think 40s is perfect for a career change. 28-32, which is I would guess the most popular age for a career change is a bit early. Still leaves you with 30+ years in the same career.

OTOH, I find that in my experience and observation, age discrimination is significantly less at jobs that are 'non-degreed' ... drivers, or retail and restaurant, Target/Walmart.

And obviously ... Uber.

All you have to do is go out and go to those places to see that people of all ages work there.

And I was prepared and still am at some point in the future, to have to go that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 07:57 AM

4,031 posts, read 1,885,863 times
Older workers put up with a lot of BS because ...

They don't let "BS" get defined by people who don't want a job. There is only one measure of "BS" at the work place - are you being paid what you feel you're worth? Older people don't "put up with BS" as much as don't recognize it as such. They have learned to let that nonsense roll off their back - at home, the neighbors, the (grand)kids school, the church, and yes, at work. One person's "BS" is another's "Tuesday." Older folks tend to have figured what actually matters and what does not. Whining about work conditions does NOT matter to most adults. Just like whining about the neighbor's lawn too high, the roads full of holes, or the rising price of new cars - it's BS to some, just life to most adults. Not BS.

Younger workers OTOH...

-Are able to change careers and transition more easily.
-Don't make a lot anyway.

The two sentences are contradictory. If you have a REAL "career" - then you DO make a lot anyway. Otherwise, you should still be looking / improving / schooling, whatever. Unless, of course, money doesn't define your "career" - 100% OK - but that leaves you in the same boat as above - is your job paying you what (you feel) you're worth? That's all that matters.

I've seen younger workers tell owners to basically shove it all the time.
Sure - at $15/hr. More uncommon at $40/hr.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:18 PM

683 posts, read 855,129 times
If they aren't tech savy, then the company will be run like it's still 1985.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:22 PM

683 posts, read 855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I agree with this. The problem is that younger workers are looking to put in as little time as possible to rack up "experience" and then apply for a higher position or a promotion. Us older workers are content with the job we have and aren't looking to jump at the next opportunity. I am 59 and comfortable with my job.
I'm not a young worker. I'm in my mid 40's and the younger workers are smart to do this. I always thought outside of the box and would never work more than three years for a company doing the same position when I first started out. It didn't make sense. Especially the salary bumps I've received switching positions.

That old outdated work hard 12 hour a days just for a pat on the head is down right disgusting.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:01 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,402,029 times
I don't work with what I'd consider "younger workers." But I do work with several co-workers in their 50's with limited work ethics, experience, interest, and sense of urgency. I have little to nothing in common with the relatively new-commers. I'm "the old guy" who's been around since the 80's. I love my job but cannot stand the slackness I'm surrounded by.

We work in an industry where, if not carefully observant, someone could get severely injured. Just this week, I witnessed a major safety infraction which could have injured 5 men. A disaster was barely averted. I've seen enough. It's time to call an end to a 38-year career. I wish my co-workers much luck in their endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment