Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 09:02 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,798,128 times

Advertisements

Bosses Want Hard Workers—So They’re Hiring Older People
Some companies are recruiting seniors on the premise that age equals a stronger work

https://www.wsj.com/articles/do-olde...hare_permalink

Quote:
Mr. Conforti has grown weary of younger employees who, he says, arrive late for shifts, call out of work often and spend more time scrolling social media feeds than chatting with customers. About a year ago, he tried something different—recruiting people who are more likely to carry AARP cards than the latest iPhone.

“The learning curve is a bit longer,” he says, “but once they get it, God, it’s refreshing. I say, ‘This is what we’re doing today,’ and it gets done. Their shift starts at 9 and they’re here at 8:50. It’s their work ethic.”
and

Quote:
“There’s a willingness from this group of mature employees to work the opening shift or to close down for the day, to cover during lunches and breaks or even be on call as needed,” he says. “I could go on and on about the value and benefits.”

There is no official measure of discrimination claims on the basis of being too young because federal law protects only workers over 40, but human-resources departments frequently field grievances from millennials and Gen Zers who say they’re unfairly passed over because of their generations’ reputations for flakiness, Mr. Taylor says.

Quote:
“With the economy slowing down, companies need fewer people and need the people who are there to be OK with working hard,” Mr. Taylor says. “Instead of trying to convince younger generations to be something different, some companies are saying, ‘Why don’t we just go hire people who are naturally predisposed to work harder?’”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I think this depends on the industry, and kind of work being done. I find that younger people have a need to feel like their work is actually accomplishing something significant, and that the get good benefits and flexibility in working hours. That's probably not something that retail and other customer-facing lower pay jobs can accomplish.

My employer of about 2,200 does in fact hire many older people, but mostly in management and highly skilled jobs like engineering where many years of experience is required. Of the people I manage, 6 are in the 25-35 year-old millennial group. One might be considered borderline "slacker" but the other 5 are hard working, dedicated with great work ethic.
Some of this may be luck, but then when interviewing I look for a candidate demonstrating enthusiasm for wanting to work here. In one recent case for example, the job requires becoming a notary within 6 months of hire, and at the interview this person told us that she had already done the paperwork to apply for it. All 6 are on different star/end times, and different hybrid work schedules, their choices.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:55 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Bosses Want Hard Workers—So They’re Hiring Older People
Some companies are recruiting seniors on the premise that age equals a stronger work

https://www.wsj.com/articles/do-olde...hare_permalink

and

There is no official measure of discrimination claims on the basis of being too young because federal law protects only workers over 40, but human-resources departments frequently field grievances from millennials and Gen Zers who say they’re unfairly passed over because of their generations’ reputations for flakiness, Mr. Taylor says.
I agree with this. The problem is that younger workers are looking to put in as little time as possible to rack up "experience" and then apply for a higher position or a promotion. Us older workers are content with the job we have and aren't looking to jump at the next opportunity. I am 59 and comfortable with my job.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I agree with this. The problem is that younger workers are looking to put in as little time as possible to rack up "experience" and then apply for a higher position or a promotion. Us older workers are content with the job we have and aren't looking to jump at the next opportunity. I am 59 and comfortable with my job.
I don't know that that take is necessarily fair. Younger workers, like Hemlock mentioned, are looking for work that is meaningful and a workplace that doesn't take them for granted. It's seen as very old-fashioned to be grateful to have a job and to be loyal to a company that would underpay you and downsize you in a hot second. Employment goes both ways. If a company wants strong workers, they have to give the workers what they want, and not offer them crap salaries and inflexibility and complain that "no one wants to work."

Old 04-13-2023, 11:23 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
As an employer I have noticed young people are more worried about being able to play on their phone all day and still get paid for doing a job they are neglecting. For many years now they think it is their right to be on their phone all day. I have proven several wrong when I fired their lazy BLEEPS.

To be fair young people have always expected something for nothing but it has gotten WAY worse over the last 30 years. This is in general and of course there are exceptions.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:45 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,897,517 times
Aren't younger workers easier to exploit and take advantage of?

Old 04-13-2023, 01:02 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Well, eventually those older workers will retire and the employers will have to live with the next generation. To the extent that the claim is true, the situation is temporary.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:04 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The older generation came of age at a time when pensions were still at least a conceivable possibility. Millennials have known from the getgo that long-term loyalty would not be rewarded in the same way it was for previous generations.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Anecdotal stories are nice but is there any statistical data to show that older workers are being hired at greater rates recently?

Old 04-13-2023, 01:55 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The older generation came of age at a time when pensions were still at least a conceivable possibility. Millennials have known from the getgo that long-term loyalty would not be rewarded in the same way it was for previous generations.
We did? The high point of pension coverage was less than 40%. That was in 1964. And those pension eligible jobs were for the most part in industries that no longer exist or exist at a small fraction of their former numbers.

You know, steel, mining, other heavy and light manufacturing, transportation, automotive. All industries that have collapsed, contracted or gotten more efficient (rail crews are now down to two from four as an example).

Factoid:
GM's worldwide employment is about 40,000 less than it employed in and around Flint, MI in the 1960's.

Oh, here's some Boomers and pensions information.

https://crr.bc.edu/on-the-web/boomer...%20have%20them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment