Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 11:31 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

I've hired both. The range of outcomes is much higher in the younger generation. Some are worthless and some are deeply undervalued. It certainly takes more management time to build up and train the newer generation. The older generation also has people worth it/not worth it, but generally the lazies have given up trying by this point and they are easier to spot.

Of course, for best hard workers, nab refugees from warzones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 07:17 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
It all depends on the industry and type of work that's involved. If you're in some physical labor intensive work then younger workers always going to be preferred. If you're in a knowledge based job then it all depends on difficulty and experience.

If a younger worker can be trained to click the mouse faster then that's preferred but if it's some jobs where the fewer mouse click would be better than the older wiser and experienced worker would be better.

When you're the older wiser worker you should be able to do your job more efficiently than younger workers. If a company measures your productivity based on quantity and not quality then you should get a better job.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:30 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Aren't younger workers easier to exploit and take advantage of?
Great buzz words

Old 04-14-2023, 08:31 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I've hired both. The range of outcomes is much higher in the younger generation. Some are worthless and some are deeply undervalued. It certainly takes more management time to build up and train the newer generation. The older generation also has people worth it/not worth it, but generally the lazies have given up trying by this point and they are easier to spot.

Of course, for best hard workers, nab refugees from warzones.
No refugees to nab in my industry but I can only confirm the rest of your post and my book of business shows it.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:44 AM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
Given this generations work ethic, I will be able to work well passed retirement age and still be productive. So, keep Facebooking and playing on your phone. I just want to say Thank You!

Old 04-14-2023, 09:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I personally have experience with this as I have applied to many entry level jobs in various different subfields as a middle aged professional.

Even if you are willing to take the paycut, employers STRONGLY prefer traditional age candidates, no question.

The main reason I would say is because of the status quo. There's just not very many middle aged junior employees in the corporate world, so ... it's not something people are used to.

As far as who would actually be better, it varies.

Younger people are generally healthier and can get by on less sleep, so they can do more work. But they are also generally less responsible.

Older workers may have a variety of minor health problems that hold them down and may have problems at home which prevent them from giving their all. But they have experience with a variety of problems that may arise in the workplace and know how to handle it.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:17 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
If you're 45 and you're applying for an entry level role the simple question will be "what did you do between age 23 and age 45 that led you down the road to apply for an entry level role at 45". A proven upward trajectory is what people look for in older candidates.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If you're 45 and you're applying for an entry level role the simple question will be "what did you do between age 23 and age 45 that led you down the road to apply for an entry level role at 45". A proven upward trajectory is what people look for in older candidates.
That's the status quo, but it's damaging.

It causes middle aged people to stay in jobs they may not be good at, and frankly may not want to do and only stay with because they have a mortgage and college fund, and are eyeing retirement, and ... 'what else can they do anyway'.

There's bad consequences of that.

Would you rather have some 45 year old try and stick it out in 'finance' for another 20 years even though they may not motivated to do it, or would you rather have that person go and try and do something else?

Last edited by jobaba; 04-14-2023 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-14-2023, 11:05 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's the status quo, but it's damaging.

It causes middle aged people to stay in jobs they may not be good at, and frankly may not want to do and only stay with because they have a mortgage and college fund, and are eyeing retirement, and ... 'what else can they do anyway'.

There's bad consequences of that.

Would you rather have some 45 year old try and stick it out in 'finance' for another 20 years even though they may not motivated to do it, or would you rather have that person go and try and do something else?

I think there's merit to that for sure, but in the end you'll have to sell this proposition to the hiring manager. But there will be skepticism, especially on the more sophisticated end of the white collar job market i.e. there will be a suspicion that you're just doing this because 'you couldn't hack it', so why expect you to be able to do it in a different role.

In the OP's article the hiring manager quoted is hiring for a part-time position at a shipping station. That's a menial job. He's not replacing 25 year old upstart grads with 50 year old professionals looking for a career change, he's putting retirees into roles that are traditionally worked either by kids or by screw-up young adults. That's an entirely different section of the job market and an entirely different issue.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think there's merit to that for sure, but in the end you'll have to sell this proposition to the hiring manager. But there will be skepticism, especially on the more sophisticated end of the white collar job market i.e. there will be a suspicion that you're just doing this because 'you couldn't hack it', so why expect you to be able to do it in a different role.

In the OP's article the hiring manager quoted is hiring for a part-time position at a shipping station. That's a menial job. He's not replacing 25 year old upstart grads with 50 year old professionals looking for a career change, he's putting retirees into roles that are traditionally worked either by kids or by screw-up young adults. That's an entirely different section of the job market and an entirely different issue.
My view is different from yours.

I view jobs as jobs and most lower paid jobs have more of a direct benefit to society. Everybody needs a job and should look for a job that matches best.

I'm not a hypocrite and I have no problem driving Uber even though I have 'degrees and experience'.

That said if more middle aged people were open to taking paycuts and stepping down it would benefit YOU. Think it through...

Last edited by jobaba; 04-14-2023 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment