Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times

Advertisements

Europe doesn't end on Spain and Madrid.
New national records for January recorded today:

Turkey: 31.6 at Abana
Russia: 24 at Sochi
Georgia: 25.3 at Batumi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan257 View Post
Why would you wish for an arctic blast like that? I understand wanting snow if you like winter sports, but who wants extreme cold? Not only uncomfortable, but would kill my palms. Parts of LI and NYC are zone 8a now anyway. You should just move to Canada.

0 degrees f is just a number that I think is easily achievable. What I'm really hoping for is an optimal setup (like we got on valentines day 2016) to really pummel the crap out of the northeast and drop us much lower, like -5 or even -10f which I believe is still possible just really really difficult. Similar to the midwest cold blast in jan 2019 which brought 35-year low temps to chicago.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:17 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Weather is gonna happen whether people wish for it or not. It's like storm chasers - they don't cause tornadoes and hurricanes. That people enjoy it when it happens has nothing to do with a societal issue.
And you're making hefty assumptions about what people do and do not do with their time and money. Your energy would be better directed actually trying to, ya know, help the homeless..
Of course you can't make weather happen with your wishes, but you can't really kill someone by wishing for their death either and yet it's kinda socially frowned upon to say "I wish so and so was dead.' If you see a car crash on the highway, it doesn't change anything if you say "Oh man I hope there's some dead bodies I can see" but it's hardly acceptable.

It's just kinda not cool to be exuberant and celebratory about events that kill people. And most chasers would agree with that and say the only tornadoes they hope for are ones that stay over empty land and don't cause any serious damage or injuries.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:06 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Now, if it carries on until late April as it did in 2010, I'll be happy.
Good luck with that. Still nothing nowhere near as cold as 2010 with days of highs in the 40's. Still not any temps below 32f in my area or any highs in the 40's yet. But it sure beats the last 10 years.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 PM

196 posts, read 137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Europe doesn't end on Spain and Madrid.
New national records for January recorded today:

Turkey: 31.6 at Abana
Russia: 24 at Sochi
Georgia: 25.3 at Batumi
Thanks for talking about European weather, we should do that more on this forum. Us Pan-Americans too often neglect the European weather, even in a very active year like now.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
0 degrees f is just a number that I think is easily achievable. What I'm really hoping for is an optimal setup (like we got on valentines day 2016) to really pummel the crap out of the northeast and drop us much lower, like -5 or even -10f which I believe is still possible just really really difficult. Similar to the midwest cold blast in jan 2019 which brought 35-year low temps to chicago.
I just don’t understand how a human could want a temperature that low. Why? If you want snow, 25-30 will suffice. Any cold under 20 is just pointless and dumb. The temps that you wish for would kill my palms. You extreme cold lovers don’t care for the vast majority of the population who would agree with me. Sure there are snow lovers, and for good reason, but if you polled all Americans, even all Canadians, 99% of them would rather never have temps below 20 let alone 0.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan257 View Post
I just don’t understand how a human could want a temperature that low. Why? If you want snow, 25-30 will suffice. Any cold under 20 is just pointless and dumb. The temps that you wish for would kill my palms. You extreme cold lovers don’t care for the vast majority of the population who would agree with me. Sure there are snow lovers, and for good reason, but if you polled all Americans, even all Canadians, 99% of them would rather never have temps below 20 let alone 0.

Here's the youtube video I made during the chicago 2019 cold blast. You can't tell me that the environment doesn't look freakin awesome. Felt even more awesome in person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvIOmAc66Jk

Old 01-13-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Here's the youtube video I made during the chicago 2019 cold blast. You can't tell me that the environment doesn't look freakin awesome. Felt even more awesome in person
Actually that environment looks bleak and extremely depressing, not to mention how uncomfortable and downright dangerous it is. As far as environment/biome goes, I like Mediterranean woodlands and tropical savannas on a warm day with the sunset on the ocean. That, 90% of people agree, is paradise. There is a reason that people vacation to the Mediterranean, the East and West Coast beaches, and the Caribbean.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:55 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
What's going on there with all the wind warnings? Looks like a dig?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:57 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Awesome! Was that sea smoke?
Man I wish we had at least 3 months like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather