Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Check this out.. Something interesting...

So you got the Frigid Arctic Air pushing down into the Northeast inside a little trough that isn't far south.

-17C at 5000' over Northern NY.

You have a Surface High over the Mid West blocking the storm from coming north.

You have the freezing line at 5000' all the way down south so its below freezing at the surface all the way to the Gulf Coast states (not the coast)

But whats interesting is that even with that Ridge out West, its not hot under it! Usually I see like +10C, there's no warmth under it. Dry yes, but no warmth.

Then you have that kink in the Jet stream so instead of a south flow over California, its from the North because of that kink.

Current surface temp anomalies. Not many above normal (5+)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:18 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
November 30 had 9/10 in cloud cover. I'd wouldn't call that "nice". Overall, there were 215 points out of 300 in cloud cover so only 28% possible sunshine, which is not much more than normal.
Here is a photo of that 90% cloud cover. I spend time outdoors and can tell you numbers never tell the whole story. There was a significant difference between last November and regular Novembers and many people who don't look at stats noticed it. Position of clouds (high vs low) or wind speed or direction are just some of the factors that can change perception. December so far has been mostly sunny and cold. There hasn't been a wind storm yet. There is a reason most ski areas are not open yet due to lack of snow. But I understand this is the weather forum and people mostly talk about numbers.

November 30

December 6 (most of the current week has looked like that)

Last edited by Botev1912; 12-07-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM

This is just the saddest storm track to get in winter. . Wasting time!

Storms don't happen every day or week. (in an active pattern they happen every week though)

Mid December Storm. Maybe Chicago or Detroit can get a nice snowstorm from it

Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Around 1" here in Austin but parts are up to 2"

Old 12-07-2018, 12:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Here is a photo of that 90% cloud cover. I spend time outdoors and can tell you numbers never tell the whole story. There was a significant difference between last November and regular Novembers and many people who don't look at stats noticed it. Position of clouds (high vs low) or wind speed or direction are just some of the factors that can change perception. December so far has been mostly sunny and cold. There hasn't been a wind storm yet. There is a reason most ski areas are not open yet due to lack of snow. But I understand this is the weather forum and people mostly talk about numbers.

November 30

Some real rain is in the forecast though. Starting tomorrow the next 7 out of 9 days are supposed to have rain and it's supposed to be cloudy every day.

Don't kid yourself.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Here is a photo of that 90% cloud cover. I spend time outdoors and can tell you numbers never tell the whole story. There was a significant difference between last November and regular Novembers and many people who don't look at stats noticed it. Position of clouds (high vs low) or wind speed or direction are just some of the factors that can change perception.
Numbers never tell the whole story in Pittsburgh either. Many "gloomy" winter days in Pittsburgh look like this:

There are plenty of gray days in Pittsburgh in the winter, but there are plenty of "silver" days too. There are even a few clear days per month, though those days tend to be very cold.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Some real rain is in the forecast though. Starting tomorrow the next 7 out of 9 days are supposed to have rain and it's supposed to be cloudy every day.

Don't kid yourself.
Of course there will be rain. It's the wettest time of the year. Also, days that are partly or mostly cloudy are not overcast/dreary and feel a lot different. For the record, the last dry and sunny stretch (high pressure) occurred when the 15-day forecast showed rain and clouds for 13 consecutive days.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/53717620-post596.html

Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Here is a photo of that 90% cloud cover.
I have to admit, I was having a discussion with other Mets on twitter regarding NWS's "Cloud Cover, Sunny days" numbers and they convinced me those numbers suck.

For those that don't know they can see these numbers under the CLI reports from their local NWS offices.

The sensors sometimes don't capture true sky cover. Not saying they aren't right most of the time but they aren't accurate a lot of times.

We really need human eyes on that sort of thing to see sunshine and sky cover stuff.

Back in the day we had a recorder that "ticked off" each minute of sunshine. Day total was divided by total possible for %. No more. Machines with sensors now.

Blue Hill, Massachusetts been doing it the same way since the 1880s with a glass pyrheliometer!

Solar Radiation is measured in Watts/m^2 and is continuously averaged for 24 hours Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory

November 2018 Solar Radiation was 58. Sounds low!

Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM

895 posts, read 603,647 times
Quote:

November 30

90% cloud cover means it was cloudy for most of the day. There might be a short time where the sky is like that photo, but it will be cloudier for the rest of the time. Also, it is hardly different from normal. In fact, I would say November 2018 is closer to normal here in terms of cloud cover than November 2017. I noticed that November 2018 is just normally cloudy while November 2017 is very cloudy.

Of course there is no snow yet because November was warmer than average and it is an el nino winter.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:14 PM

895 posts, read 603,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Don't kid yourself.
November 12-21 have 40-50% chance of rain which usually translates to slightly less than that due to wet bias. Anyways, my prediction is that most of the days will be cloudy while a some of the days will have rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather