Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,362,661 times

Advertisements

Wunderground is showing 66F for the high on Oct 15! Lows in the 50's starting next Thursday. Hopefully the cooler temps verify.

The GFS the morning of Oct 16.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:31 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Athens could see two 95 F days in a row. Has that ever happened in October before?

It's hotter up there than down here in south Georgia.
No, the high was 95°F on Friday, and 94°F yesterday. Believe it or not, neither of those were record highs. The record high for both days was 98°F, both set in 1954. Nonetheless, it's still too ****ing hot for this time of the year. Amazingly, with that 95°F day yesterday, Athens has now had more of them in October than August this year, and just as many as July.

Thankfully (mercifully), it looks like temperatures will finally start falling this coming week. The high temperature will be the first to start falling with increasing tropical moisture by Tuesday, and the possibility of a tropical storm or hurricane coming up from the Gulf of Mexico. The low temperature will fall by next weekend, finally into the 50s, and possibly even the upper 40s early in the following week. Thank God. I'm weary of the heat. It's time for it to say goodbye for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
That map looks beautiful. I hope it verifies.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:11 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,975,126 times
While the Western U.S. has been colder than normal and the Eastern U.S. has been warmer than normal, we in Oklahoma have been stuck in the middle. Here were temperatures this afternoon. I was able to experience a 20F temperature increase in an hour's drive.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
While the Western U.S. has been colder than normal and the Eastern U.S. has been warmer than normal, we in Oklahoma have been stuck in the middle. Here were temperatures this afternoon. I was able to experience a 20F temperature increase in an hour's drive.
Those temperature changes in the Great Plains are crazy. No wonder there's so much severe weather.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 AM

83,571 posts, read 75,516,329 times
Quote:
Wunderground is showing 66F for the high on Oct 15! Lows in the 50's starting next Thursday. Hopefully the cooler temps verify.

Finally! Looks like it's happening. Now we'll see what the actual details and temps will be. Clouds would help keep those temps down during the day. Wonder how many times you saw sun and mid 60s in mid October?

3 interesting things happening next 10 days!

1. Mid Week: (3 days out)

Hurricane Michael hits Florida and exits the Mid Atlantic. All while a storm is over the Midwest. (Can you imagine they merged? Would of been a Huge Snowstorm for someone in Canada.)

Jet Stream digging into the Plains mid week here.

(540 thickness line is typically the rain snow line but it signals a cold airmass as well)

Bermuda High keeping things humid along the coastal states.

2. Next Saturday. (6 days out)

A Clipper?? You don't see these in the Fall much but does support the pattern here while the Jet stream is digging down.

540 line finally across New England. Chilly weekend next week. Perfect for Apple and Pumpkin picking.

The south is getting a cold front passing through. Hard to see with this map so I made lines to show it.. Look at the surface pressure lines. See how it points NE (like its bending), south flow on the south side and NW flow on the north side. That's where the front would be. Obviously 7 days away so might change to be the day before or after.

3. Mid week next week. (10 days out)

Finally! A nice digging trough in Eastern U.S. The front would have passed the gulf states and the Cold Canadian High will filter in cooler airmass all the way down.

540 line to Virginia? 516 in Ontario? Cold Airmass which of course moderate by time it gets to the Mid Latitudes.

Another clipper? Lake Effect? Too soon.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:48 AM

But first...we have to get through this pattern

Old 10-07-2018, 05:49 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,660,572 times
Looks like real fall arrives on Wednesday for many of us. Lows drop down into mid-40's for us, highs in the 60's. Right now, it's showing us getting down in the upper 30's by next weekend. Can't wait!

Old 10-07-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Looks like real fall arrives on Wednesday for many of us. Lows drop down into mid-40's for us, highs in the 60's. Right now, it's showing us getting down in the upper 30's by next weekend. Can't wait!

Always fascinating hearing your OBS. I had to look at the 850mb temp maps to understand what you just said (I know you're higher up but didn't think it would start that early).

Sure enough, Airmass really cools down Wednesday over Oklahoma and Arkansas first before even Ohio. Then you get another shot of cold over the weekend which is after that front I was talking about.

Nice to see many of us involved in this first real cool blast of Fall.

And GFS says another stronger cold push and digging south more around Oct 23rd. Here we go?
Spoiler

Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,288,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
But first...we have to get through this pattern

For sure.

Low to mid 80s are forecast in my area, tuesday and wednesday.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:13 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,926,799 times
Quote:

So happy. I see a low of 30F on the 16th

4 more days of crap then back to normal or below!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather