Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,919,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So many interesting stats being generated from all this. I agree, in a way I want to storm to stay further out to sea so we can keep this streak going. That storm seems like the only thing that would ruin it. Wonder how many other years a coastal storm ruined a streak
With the setup on the East Coast with the Gulf Stream, eventually all cold spells are "ruined" by a low pressure system setting up. You just can't pump arctic air over a warm body of water and not expect a low to develop. The more powerful the cold air, the more powerful and primed the low pressure off the East Coast.

This is why we never see something like the Siberian High settle in. Ironically, if we did see something like that, we would have warmer record lows because the Siberian High would mean high sunshine hours especially at the lower latitudes.

Also each storm system that comes plowing through the Midwest can tap Gulf moisture which can bring warm temps anytime of the year. Living near the Gulf we can have a day in the 20's but a return feed can bring 60's/70's and humidity in a matter of a couple of days.

This climate is the reason why America is so successful agriculturally. The fronts ensure a steady supply of moisture throughout much of the year. Northern China has many water issues as the Siberian High ensures desert like (though cold) conditions much of the year.

Although you may not want to admit it, North America is better for "winter enthusiasts" with the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean than without it. Otherwise it would be a very boring steppe climate.

It's satisfactory for me because where I live in Austin I can simply wait out any cold periods for I know a warmer day or two is always in the mix within a week or two.

Last edited by cBach; 01-01-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
We stayed above 0F along the lakeshore in Burlington.

On the other end of the lake, Kingston not so fortunate, they had a bone chilling -30.9C
Is the lake frozen over? If not I suspect the lake moderated your temp.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,292,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is the lake frozen over? If not I suspect the lake moderated your temp.
Lake is not frozen over.

Lake Erie is much shallower than Lake Ontario, it gets frozen over almost every winter.
Buffalo weathermen have been mentioning it will be about 50 percent frozen over by end of this cold snap.
Lake Ontario only in a very cold winter will get partially frozen over but usually not the
section where I live, almost always open water.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:36 AM

83,590 posts, read 75,571,450 times
3 Maps

12:30pmCST temps

Full sun and in the 20s and 30s down south. Single digits in Kansas

Arctic Front over Gulf of Mexico now.

Zoomed out. Warmer in parts of Alaska than parts of southern U.S?

Upper Heights and Mid Level Temps (5000')

Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM

401 posts, read 333,096 times
Quote:
Boston streak staying under 21°F. Its been a long timesince experiencing this!

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/947481952071897088
Oh no! Thanks for posting. Welcome to my world!

Old 01-01-2018, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
3 Maps

Wonder what the coldest 850 mb temperatures over new England during the arctic blast will be. And when. Guessing next Saturday. Lets watch Mt. Washington too

Old 01-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
3 Maps

Still cloudy in Austin

Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM

30,497 posts, read 21,381,970 times
43f now and dark and cloudy. First time if has been this cold at this time in many years.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,120,900 times
New Hampshire woman here again.

Right now -- 6:11 p.m. on New Year's Day -- we're already back in the negative numbers, down from a high of I think 8 today. We're expecting a low of negative 12 overnight.

We "warm up" for 3 nights with expected lows of 1, 6, and 4 for Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night, respectively ... but then Friday night we're expecting negative 16 and Saturday night negative 18!! Saturday DAYTIME HIGH is expected to be negative 3!

I have lived in New Hampshire for close to 16 years now and I don't EVER remember a DAYTIME HIGH being in the negative numbers. This is scary-cold.

Every time I go outside I am EXTRA careful to watch where my cats are before I open the door. They've never been ones to hover near a door trying to get out, but I would go insane if one of them inadvertently got out and I couldn't immediately find him or her.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Every time I go outside I am EXTRA careful to watch where my cats are before I open the door. They've never been ones to hover near a door trying to get out, but I would go insane if one of them inadvertently got out and I couldn't immediately find him or her.
My cat is in the warmest room of the house and hasn't budged from that perch except to eat/drink/go to the litter box. The lack of sun for the past two weeks hasn't helped. Very smart cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather