Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM

749 posts, read 419,475 times

Advertisements

Currently here in Aurora, ME..44F Degrees, Dew Point 44F Degrees, Winds NNE 14mph, Low Tonight 32F Degrees
Awoke to at least 4" of the fluff & stuff...Rained, blew and melted much...traversed through puddles and area flooding during our commute home...
Windshield wippers off the windshield, Oyster- Shell (spread on walkway and carried in the car for traction)! Will have to whip- off at least one fleece blanket tonight...Hopeful forward to freeze until Mid-February (appears rather doubtful)! Already tiring of the deluge during the day and freeze overnight which lends to a fretful commute in the early am..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM

83,549 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why are you skeptical? Too far out and only a couple model runs?
There's more support that it will happen than not. I just have a hard time thinking we get more than 4 weeks worth of extreme cold. Just doesnt fit the past decade pattern. Usually we get a couple weeks and done.

Cold? Sure. But we're done with the extreme stuff in the East. I think the mean trough sets up west of us. This means storm tracks stay inland either cutting to great lakes or up the Appalachians. That means more rain chances here. That i believe. I dont know. All a guess. We'll see.

A quote from a member in the accuweather forum.

Quote:
It looks to be having the mean trough trhrough the midwest which would put the colder side closer to the front range of the rockies through much of the midwest and then would eventually translate east but it looks as though at this point the battle zone is across the east so some heavy wet snows or some hefty rains. I think a big indicator for what may happen there is the progression of MJO last time we went through this same region was right around early December time frame. During this time we had warm weather across the east early in the month then a week or so of colder temps (average) and then one more final warm push just before christmas. I would think a fairly similar pattern would evolve but with the way climo is progressing the mean trough would in fact be further west.

I say we go battle ground with cold intrusions and warm intrusions depending on just how sharp the troughing gets

Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM

35,111 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
-40 C temperatures as far south as Quebec in February???? Yikes, winter still isn’t even half over with(astronomically), so the east may not have experienced the worst of the extreme cold, I am still holding out a limb of hope that the Midwest(especially Indiana)has experienced the worst of the extreme cold for this season.
Meteorological winter is December, January and February. Some meteorologists use December 6 to March 6, to more precisely nail the 90 coldest days, on average. I prefer the latter definition.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 PM

749 posts, read 419,475 times
Default Another Cold Day in the Life of a Mainer

Currently, here in Aurora, ME 9F Degrees, Dew Point 5F Degrees, Winds North 2mph, Clear..Low predicted for tonight 7F Degrees...
Under a Cobalt blue sky, we frolicked...The Birch Meadows beconed and we responded by dancing across her in joy and wonder..
What a wonderous beginning to the weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather