Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Seems to happen that way most of the time, I guess that's one of the main reasons MS & AL are always in the bullseye.
It does seem like storm systems move into Mississippi by early to mid-afternoon, and Alabama by late afternoon, when the atmosphere is most unstable, but they don't more into Georgia until about sunset, when the atmosphere begins to simmer down. The storms tend to move into Atlanta by nightfall, and Athens (where I live) around midnight or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Storm #1. Plains Blizzard. Feb 5th

I call this the NAM18z CK&CC. Central Kansas & Colorado Crush. 1-2 feet of snow.
Farmers love a deep snowpack!

Look how crazy the weather in Missouri will be. A blizzard in the northwestern corner of the state, and severe thunderstorms in the southeastern corner.

Quote:
Hate to use the over used word but, With El Nino and the Southern Branch active, it seems easier to get the warmth to push north and therefore easier to go over forecasts because models underestimate the power of the southern push. Also, if you are drier than normal that will increase chances of going over as well as it will get hotter with a drier ground.

BTW ... Max 60s today and Max teens next week? Kentucky is interesting.

GFS12z Max temps Wednesday Feb 10th

That's 2 cold posts. I will get to the storms in a little bit.
Heh, the freezing line passes right through my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Still 52F/11C at 1am here. Much warmer than Carolinas and even SE Georgia.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Was seconds away from starting a February Stormy Thread.

Count them..

4 storms in next 10 days.

Feb 1st, 3rd, 8th, & 10th.

Everyone got their coffee ready? Pattern continues and has been active since November really.

Storm #1: Stays well to the north.. All we get is scattered showers around from it dragging a front.

Storm #2: Blizzard for Plains as it Cuts to the Great Lakes and drags a front with it. Warms up considerably ahead of it. Warm Rains for us in East....

Storm #3: Are you sitting? Well... Latest Euro says Another foot of snow but instead of NYC south, it says NYC north this time. Buries Eastern CT, Long Island, RI and Boston and Southern Maine. Vermont misses out.

Storm #4: Are you still sitting? Well ... Euro doesn't go that far yet but GFS showing another potential big Storm. Could be snow, Could be rain. Too far for details.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:05 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
^^

This will be an interesting February!

CFSv2 most recent run looks VASTLY different thank it's forecast from a month ago. Almost the enitre nation below average with biggest departures right here

Great explanation of what may happen with the PV over the coming days and weeks

Storm #1 right now looks like the track will take Blizzard conditions into Iowa and Wisconsin. But I'll hope for a 75-100 mile shift

Here’s why run to run gyrations in computer model storm track forecasts are granted more importance than should be the case | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

50+ degrees today, but check out next weekend!

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-31-2016 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 06:38 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Storm #1 right now looks like the track will take Blizzard conditions into Iowa and Wisconsin. But I'll hope for a 75-100 mile shift

Not happening. Sorry. Usually dont get that big a shift within 48hrs. 25 miles yes, 50 miles somtimes, 75+ rare because by this time models have enough data to know the general path within 25 miles.

Im hoping for a miracle for you. Otherwise enjoy the winter rains like the rest of us East of there. Ugh. Friggin sucks I know!! You might get backside snow showers

Accu snow total forecast.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Not happening. Sorry. Usually dont get that big a shift within 48hrs. 25 miles yes, 50 miles somtimes, 75+ rare because by this time models have enough data to know the general path within 25 miles.

Im hoping for a miracle for you. Otherwise enjoy the winter rains like the rest of us East of there. Ugh. Friggin sucks I know!! You might get backside snow showers

Accu snow total forecast.
Yeah I know. Wishful thinking on my part.

Just watched JB' Saturday summary... Could be an interesting battle between a negative AO and warm phase of the MJO next couple weeks

Saturday Summary January 30, 2016

Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Last Sunday, I didn't think there would still be an appreciable snow cover here at this point, a week in advance. But... there is Despite the green areas, the snow banks are still pretty big, and the snow-covered areas are still at least a few inches deep.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
67 at 11 57 am. Odds are will hit 70 forecast calls for 69 though.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
The timing of the severe threat according to Accuweather.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:23 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Keep that in mind for spring "Exceeded forecast high". Got a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of that.
Forecast today was 59F and cloudy, but it's sunny and 64 now. A little too windy but feels nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather