Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
And the Deep South will get tornadoes and severe thunderstorms. Silver lining for me is, the timing of the storm seems to be overnight, when the atmosphere is a bit more stable, and they're expecting the action in Mississippi and Alabama to gradually form into a squall line by the time it moves into Georgia, which tends to inhibit tornado development and intensity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Oh wow, hello cross-polar flow and storm(s) potential on the 0Z GFS! Finally some interesting items to watch.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:31 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
-16C dp in Madinah @ noon!

Old 01-30-2016, 04:40 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Interesting. That's some crazy warm air over Russia and Alaska. And wow the pv goes to eastern Europe rather than western Europe , they seem to luck out in winter but fail in summer. But as the cold lover you are don't you prefer snow more so than cold? The pv would squash any snow chances. Its weird to me how a warm arctic means a frigid winter in the east. Makes sense though. The colder the air the more stable it is. I truly hope this doesn't verify. A SSW event does not happen every winter does it? how often does it happen? and is it unprecedented that it has happened 3 years in a row and each time eastern north America got slammed. very interesting I think earths climate is changing but it is hard to tell in what direction. What will force that ridge into the arctic?
Wow, great questions.. Answers below

But as the cold lover you are don't you prefer snow more so than cold? It's tricky and pretty even. I don't just "prefer", I "NEED" both cold and snow for health reasons. If it's not going to be cold it better snow, if its not going to snow, it better be cold enough! I stood outside last night crystal clear skies, a light snowpack, and took a deep breath and said Oh man this feels so friggin good. It was only 22°F but the air felt so clean. You don't understand how dirty it feels in the summer.

A SSW event does not happen every winter does it? To my knowledge it doesn't. It does warm up though but a sudden and rapid warm up, No. Trick is when. A December SSW event is better for cold and snow lovers.

how often does it happen? Since I been following I seen it happen couple times a year. You can use this chart to see the spikes. OR ask Steve D. He's the king of Stratosphere and Physics stuff. Don't be intimidated, he's a cool meteorologist from the Mid Atlantic area and interacts with anyone..

What will force that ridge into the arctic? To be honest, no idea. I don't focus on stuff on the other side. Wish I got paid for doing all this. lol. I assume there has to be a digging Jet stream, maybe an upper low that dives down which forces the ridge up there. Sometimes these things you don't know, maybe the Atmosphere just wants to push north into the Arctic with warmer air.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
GFS12z today has something you would see at an art store.

Powerhouse Blizzard. Heavy snows Philly to Boston. Snows down in NC as well.
And the GFS6z this morning has something you would see at an art store trash can!

Powerhouse rainstorm East coast up to Vermont and Montreal. But an all out blizzard for Kentucky, WV, Pittsburgh and Eastern PA and Buffalo.

This is Feb 9-10 again. Watch this time frame. There's always winners, there's always losers with storms.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 AM

But wait, there's more. I cant keep up. What a crazy active pattern we have! I will summarize later. Gees

This is for Feb 6th-7th time frame. A coastal storm with enough moisture to drop snow on the East coast, then a clipper on its heels. Trough digs to Florida

Old 01-30-2016, 05:39 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Wow, great questions.. Answers below

But as the cold lover you are don't you prefer snow more so than cold? It's tricky and pretty even. I don't just "prefer", I "NEED" both cold and snow for health reasons. If it's not going to be cold it better snow, if its not going to snow, it better be cold enough! I stood outside last night crystal clear skies, a light snowpack, and took a deep breath and said Oh man this feels so friggin good. It was only 22°F but the air felt so clean. You don't understand how dirty it feels in the summer.

A SSW event does not happen every winter does it? To my knowledge it doesn't. It does warm up though but a sudden and rapid warm up, No. Trick is when. A December SSW event is better for cold and snow lovers.

how often does it happen? Since I been following I seen it happen couple times a year. You can use this chart to see the spikes. OR ask Steve D. He's the king of Stratosphere and Physics stuff. Don't be intimidated, he's a cool meteorologist from the Mid Atlantic area and interacts with anyone..

What will force that ridge into the arctic? To be honest, no idea. I don't focus on stuff on the other side. Wish I got paid for doing all this. lol. I assume there has to be a digging Jet stream, maybe an upper low that dives down which forces the ridge up there. Sometimes these things you don't know, maybe the Atmosphere just wants to push north into the Arctic with warmer air.
Thanks ill definitely ask Steve D. if I have some more question. Lol yes you should get paid for this, I use the forecasts that you put out more than accuweathers and wunderground for the long range. Mainly because you break it down for us and explain what's going on. I do know what you mean by cold air feeling clean, that's why I like 30- 40 degree days under a sunny sky, they feel very crisp and pure. Also after the ice storm it felt that the ice took all the dirt and grime on the ground and in the atmosphere and melted it all away, as that ice melted the air and ground and everything looked so clean and pure.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:52 AM

You can't get any more zonal then this morning. Flow is from the Pacific to Atlantic. West to East.

Going to feel like Spring Sunday to Wednesday. Wow

Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 AM

No Blizzard Storm thread?

Spring in the East, Blizzard in the plains. Lovely.

They dont have a map yet for totals for the plains and mid west. Kansas and Nebraska gonna get a dumping!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
And the GFS6z this morning has something you would see at an art store trash can!

Powerhouse rainstorm East coast up to Vermont and Montreal. But an all out blizzard for Kentucky, WV, Pittsburgh and Eastern PA and Buffalo.

This is Feb 9-10 again. Watch this time frame. There's always winners, there's always losers with storms.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather