Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM

83,596 posts, read 75,582,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It's 57 here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
50s and 60s with sunny weather are the best kind of weather for winter IMO.

I'll take my 32.4° here and run with it, 33 max so far. Sun down soon. 55 in Atlantic City? Poor South Jersey.

And no.. 50s & 60s is best for Spring, not winter. It's nice outside right now. Any warmer or with sunlight would be too warm.

Almost 80 in Sumter. LOL. Why cant they just pull the plug on that thing. WTF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll take my 32.4° here and run with it, 33 max so far. Sun down soon. 55 in Atlantic City? Poor South Jersey.

And no.. 50s & 60s is best for Spring, not winter. It's nice outside right now. Any warmer or with sunlight would be too warm.

Almost 80 in Sumter. LOL. Why cant they just pull the plug on that thing. WTF

The sun shone brightly all day with no wind. Very pleasant 47F. Your temps stayed lower cause of clouds it looks like. Sun already seems a bit higher in the sky. Days are getting longer which makes me feel better.

Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport (KPHL)
Lat: 39.87°N Lon: 75.23°W
A Few Clouds
47°F
8°C

Elev: 7ft.
Humidity 33%
Wind Speed SW 17 mph
Barometer 29.91 in (1012.8 mb)
Dewpoint 19°F (-7°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill 40°F (4°C)
Last update 14 Jan 2:54 pm EST

Old 01-14-2016, 03:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,390,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I guess winter will only last about 2 weeks this year

https://twitter.com/jacobmeisel/stat...00283925868545
Dude, each day there's a different forecast. A couple of days ago you were talking about a cold February. That's why it's kind of stupid to put so much stock into long-term forecasts.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Dude, each day there's a different forecast. A couple of days ago you were talking about a cold February. That's why it's kind of stupid to put so much stock into long-term forecasts.

It is the one weather teleconnection I don't get with all those phases. What exactly does it represent?

Old 01-14-2016, 03:06 PM

269 posts, read 238,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nope. GFS12z.

Speaking of Canadian. Still uploading the rest but Here's Hour 198 Friday afternoon. North Carolina mountains getting a snowstorm!
We will be in North Georgia over the weekend, And were thinking about going to Mount Mitchell, NC on Sunday. How is the weather looking for then? If it's snowing then the road might be closed, although I was hoping to see some snow up there.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,390,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is the one weather teleconnection I don't get with all those phases. What exactly does it represent?
Yeah, I don't get it either. And there's a different forecast each day. One day the forecast says a cold late winter, and now it's saying a warm East. How about just letting weather happen? And FTR, I see mostly below normal temperatures for the East in the next ten days.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,351,161 times
The crazy thing is that this February could be five degrees below average and it's still a massive improvement over last year. I dont mind if it's a lil bit below average, just as long as we don't have highs in the teens every single day like last year

Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 PM

29,585 posts, read 19,695,428 times
The MJO is eastward moving clouds and precip near the equator around India. Somehow that influences the weather all the way here by buckling the jet in one position or another

Quote:
Yeah I know... it's just that some models were getting my hopes up....

Midway is at 45F right now, my station was at 48F a couple of hours ago

https://twitter.com/billyweather/sta...78185526816768

Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,749,159 times
Quote:
Professor Adrian Matthews
CPC: Monitoring and Data - Tropical Intraseasonal Activity Frequently Asked Questions

The MJO represents the evolution of a enhanced convective area around the equator. The furthest the data point is from the center of the graph, the strongest is the anomaly. The graph gives the current and past longitude of that high precipitation zone (zones 1 to 8). Apparently a strong MJO in phase 3-4 (enhanced precipitation over Indonesia) tends to favor blocking highs over the northeastern Pacific, meaning a buckled jet stream and an increased probability of north-south air mass movements over North America? Dunno.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 PM

83,596 posts, read 75,582,622 times
Quote:
lol. I miss the days we didn't have models to look at (only TWC did) and all I did was look out the window for the weather or look at the "3" day forecast. LOL No fun though. But yeah.. Long Range crap are just headaches waiting to happen. Then again .. CFS in Summer and Fall was right so far about above normal winter. lol

Quote:
MJO is cool actually but just "another thing" to look at. You would like it. Hard to explain in one post.

Use this link to see what the Phase means for Temperatures. Think "overall" not exacts. Choose JFM 3 month time frame. Then match the phase with the current MJO forecast. We are entering the circle (kiss of death). We are currently in Phase 2 a cooler U.S phase. But We were in Phase 8 last week which is a Cold East and stormy phase which has been true.

Here's the main MJO site with info on there.

Blog from CPC. What is MJO and Why Do We Care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
We will be in North Georgia over the weekend, And were thinking about going to Mount Mitchell, NC on Sunday. How is the weather looking for then? If it's snowing then the road might be closed, although I was hoping to see some snow up there.
This weekend? I believe rain and warm there. It's next weekend which could be interesting.

In fact.. High confidence that North Carolina mountains will have more snow than Hartford, CT by next week...until the snow moves into the Northeast..if it does. So basically NC might be getting a snowstorm before CT & MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather