Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 06:20 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,665,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol... not anytime soon.

As we kept saying weeks ago, while the air wont be near 0°F like in Jan-Feb with the Arctic blasts, it will be cold for March...and April...... and here we are. Struggling past 30s here and dropping to teens.

To be honest... I see this lasting another 2 weeks at least with some pops into the 40s. No 50s NYC north until April maybe.. And if the pattern continues in April at least the "arctic" air will mean 40s/50s instead of 20s/30s. Another beachless Spring?

There.... I said it... now watch 50s and 60s and 70s come. Thank me later. LOL
It will likely mean snow cover in the woods up north until mid April. I remember in 2008 and 2009 there was still 2ft of snow on the ground in mid April in an area south of Conway, NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,343,967 times
Honestly not gonna lie, but even the 40s feel like a heat wave after February's shenanigans. Too bad it's not even 40s here this week >.<

Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 PM

83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It will likely mean snow cover in the woods up north until mid April. I remember in 2008 and 2009 there was still 2ft of snow on the ground in mid April in an area south of Conway, NH.
I'll have to check some snow depth updates. I assume some suburbs of Boston will too.

Next incoming arctic airmass Sunday-Monday. These are 850mb temps by Euro

Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,782,000 times
Looks like a fun start to April!
Attached Thumbnails
February 2015 Arctic Blasts, Coldest Air of Season-image.jpg  

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,782,000 times
Messy spring break for many!
Attached Thumbnails
February 2015 Arctic Blasts, Coldest Air of Season-image.jpg  

Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 AM

29,561 posts, read 19,670,267 times
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/578577492518129664

Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 PM

Arctic blasts continue.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
921 PM EDT SAT MAR 21 2015

.SYNOPSIS...
AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE REGION OVERNIGHT FOLLOWED
BY BLUSTERY AND UNSEASONABLY COLD CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT INTO
MONDAY. HIGH PRESSURE PROVIDES DRY WEATHER THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY
THEN A WARMUP AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY SHOWERS
LATE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. COLDER AIR RETURNS FOR THE END OF
THE WEEK INTO NEXT WEEKEND.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
920 PM UPDATE...

ARCTIC FRONT WAS MOVING INTO WESTERN NEW ENGLAND AND WILL HEAD OFF E COAST AFTER MIDNIGHT. HAD SOME SPRINKLES EARLIER NEAR BERKSHIRES AND IN NORTHERN RI BUT THESE HAVE DISSIPATED...AND WITH INCREASING W FLOW/DRYING TAKING PLACE NOT EXPECTING MUCH MORE THAN CLOUDINESS
WITH FRONT.

DO HAVE SOME CONCERN FOR LIGHT ICING NEAR S COAST...CAPE COD AND
ISLANDS. SW WINDS AHEAD OF FRONT HAVE RESULTED IN LOW CLOUDS
COMING IN OFF COLD OCEAN AND TEMPERATURES HAVE DROPPED TO AROUND FREEZING. WINDS SHIFT TO W/NW AROUND MIDNIGHT OR SO WHICH WILL END
ICING THREAT...BUT MAY ISSUE SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT TO ADDRESS
SPOTTY LIGHT ICING SINCE CONFIDENCE IN WIDESPREAD ICING IS LOW.

OTHERWISE FORECAST ON TRACK WITH INCREASING NW WINDS OVERNIGHT AND LOWS DROPPING INTO 20S BY DAYBREAK.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
SUNDAY... EXPECT MOSUNNY SKIES BUT WINDY AND UNSEASONABLY COLD.

850 MB TEMPS -15 TO -20C WILL TRANSLATE TO MAXES ONLY IN THE MID 20S HIGHER TERRAIN TO LOWER 30S IN THE COASTAL PLAIN.

IMPRESSIVE COLD FOR LATE MARCH. NW GUSTS TO 30-40 MPH WILL MAKE IT FEEL EVEN COLDER...WITH WIND CHILLS SINGLE NUMBERS AND TEENS. .

SUNDAY NIGHT... ANOTHER SHORTWAVE PASSAGE TO THE NORTH WILL REINFORCE GUSTY WINDS SO CONTINUED BLUSTERY INTO THE EVENING WITH WINDS DIMINISHING OVERNIGHT. VERY COLD WITH MINS IN THE SINGLE NUMBERS AND TEENS.

SUBZERO WIND CHILLS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,715,261 times
Cambium invited me over here. I have been on the C-D Maine forum for nearly eight years. This morning near Lincoln, Maine we had 8 above and 30 MPH winds, gusting to 50 MPH. Yesterday we shoveled off our camp. We did not need a ladder to get up on the roof. We walked up there. Our camp is in some old growth forest on a lake.

So far this year we have an all time record cold year. February was the oldest month ever and we also had the coldest 31 day period ever. Lakes in Western Maine, where there is less snow than we have, report 50 inches of ice on the lakes. We have exceeded the all time seasonal snowfall and the all time monthly snowfall records here. That means that nobody alive has ever seen a winter like this in Maine.

Before anybody jumps in to dispute this, yes, there are record single storm accumulations that we did not exceed this year such as the back to back blizzards in 1962. They tunneled through drifts to get into the stores in Lincoln and the first store opened up was the liquor store.

Let me introduce myself: I was a Navy pilot and have flown in such places as the Andes Mountains, in South America, the Antarctic and the tropical Mekong Delta in Vietnam. I have flown through, over and under weather in four continents. I'm a weather fan and pleased to find this forum. I was the first registered Maine guide to guide with a sled dog team. I used to go winter camping and still can. I remember ice harvesting on the lakes. We harvested ice when it was 14 inches thick, but we didn't store it the same day. We waited until it was 20 below or more before we put it in the ice house. It kept longer that way. It was not unusual to have ice more than two years old. We packed the ice in dry cedar sawdust. The ice house was always on the south side of the lake and in a pine grove. That way the sun never shone on the ice house. All ice houses had a layer of moss on the roof. Maine used to ship ice to Louisiana in packet sailing ships. The ice was shipped in cedar sawdust and under lumber. It arrived on the Gulf Coast still well below zero. I understand ice.

I hold a commercial pilot license and avoid ice whenever possible when flying. Ice and airplanes are a very bad combination. Ice and helicopters are even worse. When a helicopter picks up ice it shakes like a wet dog. I have experienced it twice and lived to tell the tale.

I was born before WWII and can report on some weather events from direct experience such as the Great Worcester Tornado on June 9, 1953. I was IN it, not just near it. We had just studied weather in General Science and I saw it coming. We went down in the cellar and heard the house come apart above us. Ever hear an old nail being pulled out and the screeching sound? Thousands of nails were pulled out at the same time. Thanks Cambium for inviting me over here.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Cambium invited me over here. I have been on the C-D Maine forum for nearly eight years. This morning near Lincoln, Maine we had 8 above and 30 MPH winds, gusting to 50 MPH. Yesterday we shoveled off our camp. We did not need a ladder to get up on the roof. We walked up there. Our camp is in some old growth forest on a lake.

So far this year we have an all time record cold year. February was the oldest month ever and we also had the coldest 31 day period ever. Lakes in Western Maine, where there is less snow than we have, report 50 inches of ice on the lakes. We have exceeded the all time seasonal snowfall and the all time monthly snowfall records here. That means that nobody alive has ever seen a winter like this in Maine.

Before anybody jumps in to dispute this, yes, there are record single storm accumulations that we did not exceed this year such as the back to back blizzards in 1962. They tunneled through drifts to get into the stores in Lincoln and the first store opened up was the liquor store.

Let me introduce myself: I was a Navy pilot and have flown in such places as the Andes Mountains, in South America, the Antarctic and the tropical Mekong Delta in Vietnam. I have flown through, over and under weather in four continents. I'm a weather fan and pleased to find this forum. I was the first registered Maine guide to guide with a sled dog team. I used to go winter camping and still can. I remember ice harvesting on the lakes. We harvested ice when it was 14 inches thick, but we didn't store it the same day. We waited until it was 20 below or more before we put it in the ice house. It kept longer that way. It was not unusual to have ice more than two years old. We packed the ice in dry cedar sawdust. The ice house was always on the south side of the lake and in a pine grove. That way the sun never shone on the ice house. All ice houses had a layer of moss on the roof. Maine used to ship ice to Louisiana in packet sailing ships. The ice was shipped in cedar sawdust and under lumber. It arrived on the Gulf Coast still well below zero. I understand ice.

I hold a commercial pilot license and avoid ice whenever possible when flying. Ice and airplanes are a very bad combination. Ice and helicopters are even worse. When a helicopter picks up ice it shakes like a wet dog. I have experienced it twice and lived to tell the tale.

I was born before WWII and can report on some weather events from direct experience such as the Great Worcester Tornado on June 9, 1953. I was IN it, not just near it. We had just studied weather in General Science and I saw it coming. We went down in the cellar and heard the house come apart above us. Ever hear an old nail being pulled out and the screeching sound? Thousands of nails were pulled out at the same time. Thanks Cambium for inviting me over here.
Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your story/post! The forum has great people and moderators but can get quite active so sometimes you have to scroll forever to find a thread you want. lol.

Since this thread will soon be gone with the Arctic winds ( ) we hope to see more of you in the other threads.

We got some usuals posting from Florida, Kentucky, PA, NY, NJ, MA, IL, NC, ect... Nice to have someone active from Maine too now.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Welcome to the forum! Good to hear from someone up north.

Interesting to hear your experience about the Worcester Tornado. Sounds terrifying. Scary that it may happened again. I take it you used to live in Massachusetts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather