Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times

Advertisements

Just had to start a fun thread this chilly Sunday morning...

My boys and I are heading out soon to spend a day at Rehobeth Beach... supporting Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge. Should be a fun time; wish us luck that our NC blood doesn't freeze!

Will post back this evening, if my fingers don't freeze to the steering wheel on the drive back! Actually, the forecast is beautiful for early February... sunny and high of about 50 at Rehobeth.

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Just had to start a fun thread this chilly Sunday morning...

My boys and I are heading out soon to spend a day at Rehobeth Beach... supporting Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge. Should be a fun time; wish us luck that our NC blood doesn't freeze!

Will post back this evening, if my fingers don't freeze to the steering wheel on the drive back! Actually, the forecast is beautiful for early February... sunny and high of about 50 at Rehobeth.

Mary
Have fun Mary.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Just checking back... turned out to be beautiful at Rehobeth. Literally thousands of people all up and down the beach, walking the boardwalk, and strolling the stores and restaurants all afternoon. We had no trouble finding our way, and made it in just over an hour.

Had a great time... and met some really neat people! Definitely worth the drive... at least off-season! We were all layered up, so all was good.

Mary

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Just checking back... turned out to be beautiful at Rehobeth. Literally thousands of people all up and down the beach, walking the boardwalk, and strolling the stores and restaurants all afternoon. We had no trouble finding our way, and made it in just over an hour.

Had a great time... and met some really neat people! Definitely worth the drive... at least off-season! We were all layered up, so all was good.

Mary

I did see the polar bears plunging on the news.
Funny how they were all white or shall I say pale. All these crazy white bods

Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Yep, at closer inspection, there were quite a few (young, healthy females) that OBVIOUSLY tanned in preparation for the big event. Quite the "medicine" for keeping the old fellas' blood running warm. And then there were those crazy young fellas that weren't tanned, but painted various and sundry colors.

Was good to see the news coverage... I've sent the link from the station's website to friends and family in NC, VA, and all the way to Japan. SO good to hear the numbers of participants for little, bitty DE. And the corporate sponsorship is inspiring... lets me know we have made the right choice in our family's move to DE.

Thanks, everyone, for allowing a proud mom to put it out on the forum!

Mary

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Yep, at closer inspection, there were quite a few (young, healthy females) that OBVIOUSLY tanned in preparation for the big event. Quite the "medicine" for keeping the old fellas' blood running warm. And then there were those crazy young fellas that weren't tanned, but painted various and sundry colors.

Was good to see the news coverage... I've sent the link from the station's website to friends and family in NC, VA, and all the way to Japan. SO good to hear the numbers of participants for little, bitty DE. And the corporate sponsorship is inspiring... lets me know we have made the right choice in our family's move to DE.

Thanks, everyone, for allowing a proud mom to put it out on the forum!

Mary
All the way to Japan.........how exciting. Oh I know you definately made the right choice to come to DE. Not a doubt in my mind. DE has been the state that people think "why would you want to live in DE"????
I know it is not for everyone but for you and your boys, this has turned out to be a great decsion to move here for education purposes and lower taxes.
For us, since we are retired, this is the best possible choice we could have made which I have explained a zillion and one times why.
No matter where you are in DE, you are not that far from the beach. Well, further in new castle county. But Kent and sussex are great.
Just look at Sunday....You and the boys went to the beach for the day in Feb. Didn't take you long either did it.
Have a good day mary...........
Eliza

Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 PM

So true, so true... elizamary! In a lot of ways, this area reminds me of Va Beach in days of old (as in... back in the 70's when I was a teenager). Just hope it doesn't grow up and go nuts here, as it did there!

Mary

Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
So true, so true... elizamary! In a lot of ways, this area reminds me of Va Beach in days of old (as in... back in the 70's when I was a teenager). Just hope it doesn't grow up and go nuts here, as it did there!

Mary
Funny, riding around this area reminds me of the 50's when we didn't have sidewalks just country roads.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 AM

elizamary, it DOES remind one of the 50's in spots... hubby and I have been running the Route 13 all the way up the Delmarva peninsula in our travels, for over 20 years. And before that, my dad drove a delivery truck for a marine supply dealer, and delivered to the eastern shore at least once a week. What fun times I had in the early 70's riding along with dad on the job...

Parts of this peninsula seem frozen in time. Can be annoying for those modern folks that like keeping up with the times. But it can also be charming, and pleasant, and simpler.

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
elizamary, it DOES remind one of the 50's in spots... hubby and I have been running the Route 13 all the way up the Delmarva peninsula in our travels, for over 20 years. And before that, my dad drove a delivery truck for a marine supply dealer, and delivered to the eastern shore at least once a week. What fun times I had in the early 70's riding along with dad on the job...

Parts of this peninsula seem frozen in time. Can be annoying for those modern folks that like keeping up with the times. But it can also be charming, and pleasant, and simpler.

Mary
I so agree with you and find it charming, pleasant and simpler. After a rat race for years, I feel like I can finally breath again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware