Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 33,203 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to DE w/in the next 6-9 mos and so far, cannot determine which area is better...crime data for Middletown was over double that of Bear / Newark area which has us concerned a lot, but heard school system for Middletown was the best in the state. Also, job will require a response time to BWI of 90 min or less...is this doable with traffic? We will be scouting out the areas soon, just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
There is an area of Bear that is west of Route 896. It is in the Appoquinimink School District (Middletown). It has the top rated elementary school in the state and I know many people who moved to that area just for the Olive B. Loss Elementary School. It is a quiet area with many conveniences. Peoples Plaza is very close, and Route 40 in Maryland can be used to get onto I-95. I would suggest that instead of getting on in Delaware because of the toll and excessive backups.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,256 times
I am not from Delaware, but we are also moving there in about 6 months. We have visited both areas now. Personally, I prefered the Bear/Newark area over Middletown. I just really felt more comfortable there. The area that I really liked was Red Lion Chase just off of the 1. The elementary school is brand new. The area SXM Girl is speaking of is nice as well. We passed the Olive B Loss school seems nice. I am trying to find out as much info. about the area myself, as we are moving from Pa. and I knew very little about the area. But again, I did not like the feel of Middletown and felt that the commute would be too long for my husband up towards Wilmington. Hopefully others will chime in on the subject. The folks here have been a wealth of knowledge!
Heather

Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Thanks a bunch!

I agree! This is a great site to take advantage of peoples' opinions...we will be out there in a couple of months to scout the area and it is nice to see what others think!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Rr?

Looking on google maps, it seems that there are a lot of railroad tracks throughout DE but especially around Bear & Red Lion...anyone know if this is a big problem in the surrounding communities? Looks like in some areas there are several houses for sale on a given block or street...sometimes close to the tracks and I was wondering if the trains were part of the reason........thoughts?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Trains are not the reason. The train, when it runs, usually only runs once in the middle of the night or very early morning. The Red Lion area, called Kirkwood, has been a very high transient area due to jobs. I am sure that some people over-extended themselves when the bought, and you are probably looking at Mariner's Watch. People do like that community because of the walking path, sidewalks, and some for the celebrity who lives in the neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
. People do like that community because of the walking path, sidewalks, and some for the celebrity who lives in the neighborhood.

Hum............who may that be?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM

That would be DJ Jazzy Jeff of Fresh Prince. And you might wonder why he lives in a development in Bear????

Last edited by SXMGirl; 09-05-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
That would be DJ Jazzy Jeff of Fresh Prince. And you might wonder why he lives in a development in Bear????

Never heard of him

I must be showing my age

Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,253 times
Default Middletown good, but 90 minutes to BWI is tight

I live in Middletown and love it. It's the fastest growing town in Delaware. Some services are still limited here but within 5 years it will have about anything anyone would want.

Crime rate numbers apply only to a small section of town. The town's population is growing so rapidly it's hard for the stats to keep up. People moving into town are affluent professionals, typically married professionals who commute to Wilmington, Dover, or Neward. It's a commuting town with not much between 8-5 in town except local businesses.

I don't think schools anywhere in DE are much to speak of. We moved to Middletown for the schools. Our daughter just started K this year. class sizes are in the low 20s with just the one teacher. Facilities are great, but student to teacher ratio is still crazy in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware