Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,761 times

Advertisements

I'm from Bear myself and find the convenience to the interstates, train and airports wonderful. Even though Middletown is a short distance (11-15 miles depending on location), the roads have not kept pace with the increased population so not crazy about the travel. The Bear growth has been very large and the two areas identified above (Red Lion and west of Rte 986) are great areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
The roads were the main reason that we did not buy in the Middletown area. Too much congestion for such a small and lovely area.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 PM

144 posts, read 360,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonkelm View Post
I live in Middletown and love it. It's the fastest growing town in Delaware. Some services are still limited here but within 5 years it will have about anything anyone would want.

Crime rate numbers apply only to a small section of town. The town's population is growing so rapidly it's hard for the stats to keep up. People moving into town are affluent professionals, typically married professionals who commute to Wilmington, Dover, or Neward. It's a commuting town with not much between 8-5 in town except local businesses.

I don't think schools anywhere in DE are much to speak of. We moved to Middletown for the schools. Our daughter just started K this year. class sizes are in the low 20s with just the one teacher. Facilities are great, but student to teacher ratio is still crazy in my mind.
I have visited Middletown numerous times, and I find it to be a very nice,clean, growing community. It does have almost every type of store you could ask for. I do love the new Walmart and Kohls. If we do decide to live at Spring Arbor, the Walmart is within walking distance, which I find very appealing. The people are very nice and friendly to.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,178 times
I live in Bear/Newark (moved here 3 years ago from Salt Lake) The areas around Old Baltimore Pike between 896 and 273 are generally nice. You'd have to drive around the areas to get a feel for them. Some are nice, some definite no's driving through them. We are trying to buy a home as a matter of fact in the Harmony Woods area.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 93,689 times
We just moved to US 3Months back, We have picked up Christiana Meadows in the Bear area...its a really nice place. If you are planning to be in an Apartment do check that place out. The area around it is very safe & calm....it works out for us because our workplace is nearby....you may have to think it over depending on the distance from ur workplace,

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,592 times
Hi T_B:

So you seem to be settled in now. Are you getting ready for the festival?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Has anyone more knowledgeable than I addressed the issue of time to get to BWI from Middletown or Bear in no more than 90 mins? That seems like really pushing it to me and I'm not sure how realistic that is. I mean theoretically it should be do-able, but I'm not sure about the realities of traffic and the exact access to the airport from I-95. However, I'm not familiar with BWI at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,435,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Has anyone more knowledgeable than I addressed the issue of time to get to BWI from Middletown or Bear in no more than 90 mins? That seems like really pushing it to me and I'm not sure how realistic that is. I mean theoretically it should be do-able, but I'm not sure about the realities of traffic and the exact access to the airport from I-95. However, I'm not familiar with BWI at all.
You are right, in theory Middletown to BWI via I-95 is at times a 90 minute drive. If it's not raining, there are no accidents and all the other reasons I-95 backs up. From Middletown it is always 2 hours if you take 301 to I-97. The only backups I have experienced is returning from BWI as you approach the Bay Bridge late afternoons or weekend beach traffic. Add 10 minutes at best on your return during these times.

The hassle of I-95 is not worth a potential 30 minute savings. I've been told story of 3 hour trips to BWI via I-95 too. And the added benefit of avoiding I-95; round trip tolls on I-95 are $17 and 301/I-97 are only $2.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware