Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Well, I think the past few years for me put to rest the notion that England has a four-season climate, at least in any reliable sense. Even if there is a mostly-dormant period most years, some years autumn leaves coexist with spring sprouts; in that case there is no winter, especially given the lack of snow and cold. I'm sure this is especially true in southern England, but similar afflictions plague the whole country which in any case is on the margin for dormancy and doesn't have much of a winter.
Excuse me, who made you the king of the seasons? England has winter. What you define as winter is not important. Also if England does not have a four season climate, what season is perpetual throughout the year? Summer? Autumn? What?

By the way, what do you mean 'the past few years'? If you have not noticed, I live here, not you, so I am far more knowledgeable on my own climate then you are, having lived here my entire life and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Close to a foot so far since late last night, supposed to get another foot or two by tomorrow morning.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
89 mph wind gusting to 97 mph on Mt. Washington
Wow cool. Danbury airport matched TS Irene's peak wind gust. Bridgeport, CT beat Irene's peak gust there. I havent checked other spots.

Looks like snow is on the way again.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Yea, this storm looks more realistic than all the previous ones this winter:

ACCUMULATING SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION WEDNESDAY
INTO THURSDAY...AS A SERIES OF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS PASS SOUTH OF
NEW ENGLAND. THE AMOUNT OF SNOW WILL DEPEND ON THE EXACT TRACK OF
THESE SYSTEMS AND IF IT REMAINS COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT ALL SNOW.
AT THE VERY LEAST...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES MAY NEED TO BE
ISSUED FOR PARTS OF THE AREA.

I don't think I've seen that before this winter.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Here, too a day before it heads east Tues./Wed.! This is the first sizeable snow of the season with some areas due to get 6-12" of snow, exact track still not etched in stone (is it ever???)

Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Default Sensibility and Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Excuse me, who made you the king of the seasons?
If you must go there, it is a self-appointed position . Seriously, seasons have definitions, and people insisting that any warmer period constitutes summer or any cooler period constitutes a winter stretches the concept of four seasons so much that it is devoid of meaning, that meaning being there are four distinct states of the vegetation and landscape, which a place where autumn leaves and spring sprouts coexisting in the cool season lacks. That is the whole point of this silly argument. If I am the only one with the courage to promulgate good sense as it regards proper seasons, so be it. Let my definitions and conceptions be known.

Quote:
Also if England does not have a four season climate, what season is perpetual throughout the year? Summer? Autumn? What?
Consider this: just because Miami has a distinctly cooler and drier period in December-February, does that mean it has winter and it has a four-season climate merely because you can't think of any other description? Of course not. Your location is far removed from Miamian conditions but the concept is the same.

I happen to believe that although England does not have a "true" four-season climate (your seasons are weak), you still have four seasons vegetation-wise, which is what counts in my eyes, so your question is irrelevant. There is a dormant period, a spring period, a summer leaf period, and an autumn in your location. Your winter is weak with the general lack of cold and snow, the prevailing mildness and warmth even on the best of years, as well as your vegetation never going fully dormant and still being on the margin of dormancy given the ease of spring coming early or in midwinter - you or Weatherfan2 said that there never been anything other than green grass in winter in their experience.

Quote:
By the way, what do you mean 'the past few years'?
Mostly the past 6 years, when I have seen newspaper articles and reports of autumns and springs warmer than your summers, as well as a "winter" warm enough so that January featured concurrent autumn leaves and spring blooms. This has happened more than once as I recall - for everyone's information, I do not count this year among the years without any kind of winter in England. If this information is inaccurate for either your location or southern England, I welcome corrections.

Other than that, this debate is over and I toss both our arguments to the wind.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Yesterday was such an interesting weather day for New York City and parts of the Northeastern USA in general.

It seemed like one third of the day was sunny, one third partly cloudy, and the other one third cloudy.

It was also one of the windiest days of the season with 25 to 30mph sustained winds and gusts from 35 to 42mph.

Also, there were snow flurries Late Afternoon and Early Evening. For 15 minutes, the snow was actually falling heavy, at least where I was at that time. But after those 15 minutes, it stopped snowing altogether and none of the snow stuck to the ground.

Just the day before this one, the weather forecasts said it was not going to snow and not even for one second!

At the most windiest when I was outside, I saw three people that were walking in the direction of the wind. They all turned the opposite direction and briefly walked backwards and they looked so funny when they did that. When they were looking at me, they looked happy and miserable at the same time about the wind.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM

559 posts, read 747,819 times
Yet again another example of the pattern here this winter. A few mild days, then maybe 2 days of "slightly cold" weather, and then after that a few more mild days. It's supposed to be 55 F tomorrow.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Feb's turning out to be a sunny month here in Buxton, some 44 hours so far, that's even more than the last three have managed. Makes up for the dull december with only 17 hours!1

And, would you believe it, I saw a tree which actually had leaves coming out, already. It was also starting to blossom some pretty flowers. Nice to see nature waking up to spring.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 02-27-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Feb's turning out to be a sunny month here in Buxton, some 44 hours so far, that's even more than the last three have managed. Makes up for the dull december with only 17 hours!1

And, would you believe it, I saw a tree which actually had leaves coming out, already. It was also starting to blossom some pretty flowers. Nice to see nature waking up to spring.
44hours is pretty pathetic. Royston got 106 hours so far.

Daily Weather Observations - February 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather