Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times

Advertisements

Has there been any predictions about winter in the West? I`m dreading it... We had such a crappy winter so I`m hoping it will be not as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:16 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
We had a great winter in Houston, actually had some cold weather for a change, I loved it, hoping for more this winter!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Has there been any predictions about winter in the West? I`m dreading it... We had such a crappy winter so I`m hoping it will be not as bad.
If you are dreading it, why do you want to know now?

Most Canadians would probably think it's too early to think about next winter.
I'm trying to not think of even "late summer," when the temps will start to dip.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
LOL, I guess I just want to mentaly prepare myself for another bad winter.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
You didn't say where in the West you live but here's what the Climate Prediction Center has to say. If you live in northern California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska or in B.C, it is very discouraging:

www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=5

As you scroll forward you'll also see this pessimistic trend continuing until September of 2011 at least and maybe beyond.

Here's a summary explaining why the experts think the Pacific Northwest will be forced to endure 14 additional months of late March. The report claims to be non technical but like the prediction itself, take that with a grain of salt:

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/fxus05.html

Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
The winter of 2009-2010 was an El Niño season. This is often associated with below normal precipitation in the Pacific NW ... and wetter conditions across southern CA, and the SW United States. During this past winter, many (not all) areas in southern CA & the SW received above normal precipitation totals ... however, it really wasn't all that wet overall in comparison to some El Niño winters of the past.

With that said, a La Niña pattern often follows an El Niño ... and according to the NWS, that is exactly what is happening now. So the initial prediction for the 2010-2011 winter is for somewhat the opposite of this past winter to occur. That would be below normal precipitation for southern CA & the SW ... and above normal precipitation for the Pacific NW. I've said many times before that the NWS is often incorrect on their predictions, and I certainly hope that they are wrong about this. I live in Arizona, and we certainly don't need more sunshine and more dry weather!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Here in the Ohio Valley we had a really odd 2009-2010 winter season, but overall I'd say it was mild (shocking compared to the fact that it was bitter cold down south).

We had a pretty chilly and wet December, a very warm and dry January, a return to a chilly and very snow February, and then a very comfortable March where it rarely went below 60. This past winter was snowy but it wasn't very cold.

No predictions yet as of right now for winter 2010-2011.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I hope the winter of 2010-2011 won't be like the winter of 2008-2009 here in the Pacific Northwest...that winter had Waaay too much snow and cold temperatures for my liking.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The winter of 2009-2010 was an El Niño season. This is often associated with below normal precipitation in the Pacific NW ... and wetter conditions across southern CA, and the SW United States. During this past winter, many (not all) areas in southern CA & the SW received above normal precipitation totals ... however, it really wasn't all that wet overall in comparison to some El Niño winters of the past.

With that said, a La Niña pattern often follows an El Niño ... and according to the NWS, that is exactly what is happening now. So the initial prediction for the 2010-2011 winter is for somewhat the opposite of this past winter to occur. That would be below normal precipitation for southern CA & the SW ... and above normal precipitation for the Pacific NW. I've said many times before that the NWS is often incorrect on their predictions, and I certainly hope that they are wrong about this. I live in Arizona, and we certainly don't need more sunshine and more dry weather!
Most times I hear people ask about winter predictions, I don't think they're usually asking about precipitation but more like they're asking about temperature patterns (colder versus warmer).

Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,560 times
I don't want to think about winter thanks. Summer's only two days here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather