Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

We reached 19C / 66.2F in England on Thursday, one of the highest February temperatures ever.

The lowest temperature this month was -16C / 3.2F, so that's a difference of 35C.. not bad for maritime England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
34 F and overcast after a slushy inch of snow overnight. Heard some sleet pattering against the window early this morning. Woke up to a cold rain. Wind Advisory in effect for tonight with sustained winds of 15-25 MPH with gusts possibly reaching 45. Loving this dreary weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
They make it sound so exciting! First true snowstorm of the season here too.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
1012 PM EST THU FEB 23 2012

...WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN TONIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY...

.A STRENGTHENING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK FROM CENTRAL
MISSOURI THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY TONIGHT AND TO NORTHEAST OHIO BY
FRIDAY MORNING. THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE ACCUMULATING SNOW FOR ALL
OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION
WILL BE 5 TO 8 INCHES NORTH OF M 14...EXCEPT FOR THE TRI CITIES
REGION. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FOR THE TRI CITIES AND MONROE AND
LENAWEE COUNTIES WILL RANGE FROM 2 TO 6 INCHES.

SNOW WILL ADVANCE FROM THE SOUTHWEST ACROSS LOWER MICHIGAN DURING
THE LATE EVENING AND EARLY OVERNIGHT...STARTING AS A LIGHT A MIX OF
SNOW...SLEET AND RAIN NEAR THE OHIO BORDER. THE SNOW WILL BECOME
HEAVY LATER IN THE NIGHT THROUGH MID FRIDAY MORNING WHEN A FEW
RUMBLES OF THUNDER WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL SLOWLY
DIMINISH THROUGH THE DAY ON FRIDAY AND NORTHERLY WINDS INCREASE TO
30 MPH GUSTS...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW.
How much snow did you end up getting?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Nantucket Massachusetts and parts of Cape Cod such as Provincetown have a weather forecast by weather.com tomorrow to have 41mph sustained winds with gusts maybe reaching 60mph+!

Eastern Coastal Massachusetts, especially Cape Cod/Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket can get very windy other times too outside of the rare tropical storm/hurricane, especially during Late Autumn, Winter, and also Early spring. This seems to happen over there at least a few times every year.

I enjoy certain types of breezy/windy (15mph to 30mph sustained winds. Gusts 20 mph to 39mph) But what Nantucket will get tomorrow is way too much!

There is a huge difference between the good/enjoyable type of wind and the bad/not enjoyable type of wind.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
I say bring on the wind; I love it, especially at that severity. The only problem I have is the questionable nature of any snowfall there. Bring on a blizzard! Of course there is a difference between the right amount of wind and too much wind, it's just that my threshold is higher, at a level significantly above hurricane-force. Past hurricane force, it gets a bit too intense for my taste but nothing drastically so (well, maybe up to 100 mph anyway ).

Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Some sleet pellets mixed with rain in NH with 3-5 inches of snowfall expected tonight.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I say bring on the wind; I love it, especially at that severity. The only problem I have is the questionable nature of any snowfall there. Bring on a blizzard! Of course there is a difference between the right amount of wind and too much wind, it's just that my threshold is higher, at a level significantly above hurricane-force. Past hurricane force, it gets a bit too intense for my taste but nothing drastically so (well, maybe up to 100 mph anyway ).
I enjoy windy weather plenty of times too. However, at a lower threshold than yours such as 15mph to 30mph sustained. Gusts 20mph to 39mph.

Yeah, there is a difference between a right amount of wind and too much wind.

For the snow blizzards topic, I can enjoy around 2 blizzards per winter season. Where I live, there were 4 very heavy snow blizzards (2 blizzards each winter) for the two winters before this one which was impressive and actually kind of rare for New York City.

This winter season so far Zero blizzards.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
We reached 19C / 66.2F in England on Thursday, one of the highest February temperatures ever.

The lowest temperature this month was -16C / 3.2F, so that's a difference of 35C.. not bad for maritime England.
Wow, after reading a lot about the weather of the UK (in general from what is described here, and about year-to-year historical weather), it seems like the UK's climate can be just as variable as "continental" ones in some ways.
I think I've underestimated some of what the maritime climates are capable of (eg. the UK or New Zealand) based on my perception of them as mild, low-diurnal, seasonal and day-to-day range places.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Still an icy layer of snow on some surfaces (grass and roofs mainly) after about an inch yesterday, which was followed by fog and rain. Now today it's just windy with the temperature around 40 F. Wind gusts may reach 45 MPH today. Highest gust so far was 35 MPH.

Fair
38 F
Dewpoint 20 F
Humidity 48%
Wind W 10 G 35 MPH
Wind Chill 31 F

Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
We got 0.7 inches of rain, almost no snow.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Wow. Not bad at all for an oceanic climate. Ours was 61°F and 12°F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather