Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afina79 View Post
I know it has been some time and thankfully we are moving. This has to be the worst town in the world to live in. So much in fact that I am writing up a detailed review of the city itself. It has been a horrible 2 years and does not seem to matter what we do out here things just get worse. I have honestly had better times getting mugged...If you don't have to live out here don't! (Sadly we are not the only ones to feel like this. There are over half a dozen from my husband job alone that are packing up and running away from this town. It just isn't pretty.)

Edit: And the food was the worst I have ever encountered in a city.....
Yes, OP, please publish this review for us on here to peruse.

While Moses Lake would certainly not be my first choice of Eastern WA towns in which to live, it is really no different than any other town in the Columbia Basin - conservative, very ag-based economy, with a large Latino/migrant worker contingent - which may or may not be unique compared to other similarly-sized towns, but certainly doesn't make it the Worst Place On Earth.

I'm just curious to hear what the OP thought was so horrible is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:41 PM

89 posts, read 231,305 times
We're all waiting for the review.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Hrm, to try to sum the family up.... Artsy Liberal Family with oddly 1950's traditional home-life views that are food snobs from hell, extremely patriotic with strong ties to the military. O.o
Quote:
I know it has been some time and thankfully we are moving. This has to be the worst town in the world to live in. So much in fact that I am writing up a detailed review of the city itself. It has been a horrible 2 years and does not seem to matter what we do out here things just get worse. I have honestly had better times getting mugged...If you don't have to live out here don't! (Sadly we are not the only ones to feel like this. There are over half a dozen from my husband job alone that are packing up and running away from this town. It just isn't pretty.)

Edit: And the food was the worst I have ever encountered in a city.....
A self described liberal, food snob from Chicago moves to a conservative, rural, small town and hates it? I'm shocked!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,997 times
I'd like to hear what additional info the OP has to offer. I have been approached about a possible management opportunity with my company. I would be moving from a very safe small Ohio town to....... well maybe Othello or Moses Lake.. The job is in Othello. All surrounding towns have crazy high crime rates above the national average.. Can you even get car insurance out there?
Does Washington have any concealed carry laws? I'm assuming you don't because your crime is so high. LOL call me a hillbilly but I'm actually somewhat liberal and I have to admit I think there is some discouragement to criminals if they think the average Joe the Plumber may be packing a Glock.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillofknight View Post
I'd like to hear what additional info the OP has to offer. I have been approached about a possible management opportunity with my company. I would be moving from a very safe small Ohio town to....... well maybe Othello or Moses Lake.. The job is in Othello. All surrounding towns have crazy high crime rates above the national average.. Can you even get car insurance out there?
Does Washington have any concealed carry laws? I'm assuming you don't because your crime is so high. LOL call me a hillbilly but I'm actually somewhat liberal and I have to admit I think there is some discouragement to criminals if they think the average Joe the Plumber may be packing a Glock.
I may suffer the requisite liberal name-calling for this, but the fact is that the vast majority of crime anywhere in the Columbia Basin - the general region in WA where Moses Lake and Othello are located, is due to the very high numbers of Latino and migrant worker demographics in those areas. This is partially due to the transient-worker ideology - in other words, if you don't live somewhere for long, you're not going to care about making sure that area is preserved/made better for the future - and partially due to the "gangster" mentality of the younger generations of Hispanic immigrants and the resulting "turf wars".

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/104.pdf

This is an ongoing issue, especially in places like Yakima, but the state government, for whatever reason, is either too afraid of offending someone, or too oblivious, to care enough to try to do something about it.

Some liberal sources, like this one:

Mexican workers in Washington fields: Under Two Flags: Seattle Times

will try to spin it that crime is decreasing, therefore somehow not related to Hispanic population, but in actuality, this is simply due to the fact that less of the Hispanics are transients now than in the past - so some of them are gaining a sense of community as well as getting older. This may be helping, but it certainly isn't fixing the root problem of cultural separation, resulting in a need to "fit-in" with some group, which directly leads to the gang problems.

Personally, I have lived in Wenatchee two separate times, for a total of about 8 years. Wenatchee is not quite to the crime level of Yakima or Moses Lake, but the same problems are evident. These issues are pervasive in the local paper, and honestly, would affect my decision (somewhat) to "settle-down" there long-term. But, on the other hand, these problems don't make these towns unlivable, either. It's just another factor to consider in weighing the pros and cons.

As for the CPL permit question, WA actually has a very progressive system that involves a simple form, fingerprinting, and then a 60-day waiting period for a background check. I don't have the report, but a recent study actually ranked Lincoln county in Eastern WA as not only one of the safest counties in WA state crime-rate-wise, but also the county with the highest CPL ownership. What a coincidence, huh?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
As for the CPL permit question, WA actually has a very progressive system that involves a simple form, fingerprinting, and then a 60-day waiting period for a background check. I don't have the report, but a recent study actually ranked Lincoln county in Eastern WA as not only one of the safest counties in WA state crime-rate-wise, but also the county with the highest CPL ownership. What a coincidence, huh?
There's also like, mostly nothing there.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 AM

175 posts, read 366,504 times
Don't live in Othello. Moses lake isn't too bad, just don't live on "the base".

If you can afford the commute (one hour), Ephrata is much better! Nice little town. Safe. I've lived there since I was born, and every time I move away, it keeps dragging me back.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 16,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillofknight View Post
I live in Moses Lake and I have never felt unsafe here. Avoid the area around the airport and going by the 2011 city data stats the actual violent crime rate does not seem that bad. The overall crime rate for Moses Lake was lower than Spokane for example.

I would agree with others to avoid Othello. There are good people there but there are also gang problems.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Default looking to move to moses lake

I am also looking to move to Moses Lake, I would love to hear more about it. I currently live in Idaho.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 PM

26 posts, read 67,737 times
Default Moving to Moses Lake in a month

Well I am moving from the Orlando, Florida area to Moses Lake in about a month. I already have a decent paying job lined up working for the state. My sister will be moving with me. We will be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment and was hoping that some people on here might be able to tell me which apartments I should stay away from and which ones are nicer. Thank you for your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington