Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 118,967 times

Advertisements

Okay, my husband recently got a call from a company and it looks like tomorrow they will be setting an offer on the table for him. Location of said job - Moses Lake. So it looks like I will be relocating my family from Georgia (Though not originally from here) to Washington State. Hell of a trek. Wanting some real information about the city of Moses Lake.

I did some research and I get a lot of fluff about the place. I see people posting how wonderful it is but I look at their crime rate and it is well above the national average. I see good posts and then I see a lot about Meth problems (Which I know are everywhere), "good ol' boy police department" that doesn't do their job and a city that if you are not Mormon, good luck getting anywhere. These things disturb me.

So, if you live there, have lived there, what is your take on the city. The job is a good one, pays a lot more than we are making now but if things are actually that bad out there would rather continue as we are where we are.

(And yes I know all places have their good and bad sides. I am trying to see if the bad outweighs the good. This would only be temp - this is not a perm move.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
You will definately get a wide opinion from posters here (many from we_t side, like me )

It certainly isn't 'pretty' by 'west-side' standards (Green, moss, waterfalls, and shady = Pretty). If tumbleweeds will work for you (they do for me) Moses Lake will be fine
I happen to like farming communities and think it is fine, considering the diversity of culture. I have two friends living in Royal City, and one in Othello (each nearby and with some redeeming qualities as well). Crime has not been bad for them, none are Mormon, and they have not complained about treatment.

This info may help target the responses.
Age of kids?
Activities?
Important requirements (library, schools, athletics, recreation, transportation)
Family 'fun' activities / interests.

Where from GA are your coming (it is quite diverse as well, and maybe we can compare to a town there).

Will Spouse be leaving you alone and traveling a lot? (that can be troublesome in a bad neighborhood.) Basically the crime in these places are over reported due to low population. Statistics make it look worse than it is.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

129 posts, read 352,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afina79 View Post
Okay, my husband recently got a call from a company and it looks like tomorrow they will be setting an offer on the table for him. Location of said job - Moses Lake. So it looks like I will be relocating my family from Georgia (Though not originally from here) to Washington State. Hell of a trek. Wanting some real information about the city of Moses Lake.

I did some research and I get a lot of fluff about the place. I see people posting how wonderful it is but I look at their crime rate and it is well above the national average. I see good posts and then I see a lot about Meth problems (Which I know are everywhere), "good ol' boy police department" that doesn't do their job and a city that if you are not Mormon, good luck getting anywhere. These things disturb me.

So, if you live there, have lived there, what is your take on the city. The job is a good one, pays a lot more than we are making now but if things are actually that bad out there would rather continue as we are where we are.

(And yes I know all places have their good and bad sides. I am trying to see if the bad outweighs the good. This would only be temp - this is not a perm move.)
The big difference between Moses Lake and Georgia is there's no humidity here.
The crime--well the story behind that is the gangs. Given that this are is a big farming area there are lots of Mexicans working in the area. Some legal, some not. But they bring with them drugs and violence. Stay away from them, and you'll aviod most of the issues.
If this worries you too much then rent on the outer skirts of the city, or if you have kids that will be attending school I recommend renting in Ephrata. It's an easily commutable 20 miles away.
I live in the area. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM

3 kids - 11,5,2
Husband enjoys White Water Rafting. We both enjoy Martial Arts, different forms though. 20+ years in the arts for myself, 15+ for him. 11 year old is into concert piano, sculpting, horseback riding and forensics. 5 year old enjoys anything outdoors. 2 year old likes fighting. (Terrible 2's aren't making that any easier.)

Husband is from the West ATL area though originally from Maryland - Navy Brat
I am originally from SS Chicago, spent a good amount of growing up time in Albany Ga, lived all over the ATL the last 14 years.

He will be working in town, no traveling from what I am aware of. Not worried if he was. Crime always worries a parent, wanting to make sure it is safe for my children to play outside during the day type of stuff.

My work is online, so I won't be having to leave the home for that. Desert atmosphere is fine for me.

Hrm, to try to sum the family up.... Artsy Liberal Family with oddly 1950's traditional home-life views that are food snobs from hell, extremely patriotic with strong ties to the military. O.o

Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks mkcurran, will look in Eph. We are wanting to rent since it is not a permanent move, so trying to find what I can online. O.o Granted finding something on short notice anywhere is never fun.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
My work is online, so I won't be having to leave the home for that. Desert atmosphere is fine for me.

Hrm, to try to sum the family up.... Artsy Liberal Family with oddly 1950's traditional home-life views that are food snobs from hell, extremely patriotic with strong ties to the military. O.o
Sounds like you would be an excellnt fit in Ephrata. If you are working from home look for a rental that has fiber. Fiber is the key to really fast internet.
White water rafting is availible 60 minutes away in the Wenatchee area. Which is where you'll travel to shop anyway, at least when Wal-mart doesn't have what you want.
There are lakes, hiking trails and campgrounds with in 30 minutes for outdoorsy fun.
Stay away from Swansons addition for rentals and you'll be fine. Most rentals are in the Ephrata Heights area. There you'll see kids playing in front yards and people out walking around all the time.
If you want you can email about rentals and I can tell you what I know about the neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Moses Lake has an airport, Grant County Int'l Airport, which currently houses Boeing for flight tests of the 787 and the new 747. So there's a lot of air traffic, but most of the pattern is north-south, then they fly in a track further north (near the Canadian border). Japan Airlines (JAL) has a hangar there Boeing rents from. So if you are an airplane buff, it's an awesome place.

From my time visiting that area, it seemed pleasant enough, if a bit removed from where I'd enjoy living. You will live in an interesting area, as the mountains delineate the forests and lush greenery of the west part of the mountains and the eastern more arid parts. It's about an hour drive to the west for you, 3 hrs to Seattle and the Canadian border. Lots of things to do in that area if you love the outdoors.

ALso, BMW is opening a composites factory in the area in the future (last I read). So it will be attracting more high-end engineering and well-paying manufacturing jobs too.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Looks like we will be living in Moses Lake itself. Been checking the crime profiles and such, area we are looking at seem to be okay. Already checked into all the sexual offenders as well. so seems okay on that end as well.

We got the call back today, looks like hubby will be turning in 2 week notice Monday or Tuesday. We have already called the family and such and let them know. Now to plan out a cross country trek with 3 kids. O.o

Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,816 times
Quote:
Looks like we will be living in Moses Lake itself. Been checking the crime profiles and such, area we are looking at seem to be okay. Already checked into all the sexual offenders as well. so seems okay on that end as well.

We got the call back today, looks like hubby will be turning in 2 week notice Monday or Tuesday. We have already called the family and such and let them know. Now to plan out a cross country trek with 3 kids. O.o
Let us know what you think of the area once you are there! And good luck with the move!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Moses Lake has an airport, Grant County Int'l Airport, which currently houses Boeing for flight tests of the 787 and the new 747. So there's a lot of air traffic, but most of the pattern is north-south, then they fly in a track further north (near the Canadian border). Japan Airlines (JAL) has a hangar there Boeing rents from. So if you are an airplane buff, it's an awesome place.

From my time visiting that area, it seemed pleasant enough, if a bit removed from where I'd enjoy living. You will live in an interesting area, as the mountains delineate the forests and lush greenery of the west part of the mountains and the eastern more arid parts. It's about an hour drive to the west for you, 3 hrs to Seattle and the Canadian border. Lots of things to do in that area if you love the outdoors.

ALso, BMW is opening a composites factory in the area in the future (last I read). So it will be attracting more high-end engineering and well-paying manufacturing jobs too.
The flight pattern for the test planes is right over my property. Fun to see the planes that close. Also that BMW plant--is almost complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington