Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM

129 posts, read 352,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afina79 View Post
Looks like we will be living in Moses Lake itself. Been checking the crime profiles and such, area we are looking at seem to be okay. Already checked into all the sexual offenders as well. so seems okay on that end as well.

We got the call back today, looks like hubby will be turning in 2 week notice Monday or Tuesday. We have already called the family and such and let them know. Now to plan out a cross country trek with 3 kids. O.o
Sounds like it might be fun. There are plenty of nice areas in Moses Lake. You'll be happy there. The best place for grocery shopping is the Grocery Outlet on Stratford Rd. The rest of what you need can be bought at the Safeway or Super Wal-mart. You'll be 60 miles from the Tri-cities area. This is where the closest Target, Costco, and Mall are located. I reccomend week day trips for shopping there when you can.
Good places to eat are The China Buffet on Stratford, Inca's and Sporty's, which are located in the down town area.

Any thing esle you need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 118,984 times
Thanks for the advice. ^^ Long as I have a Wally World I should be fine. Anything I don't buy there as it is I order online and I am in the ATL area. lol (Needless to say I don't shop much. Hate shopping. O.o I'm not a normal woman.)

Ugh, and I hope I don't come off as a b**** but um, food snob here. My husband is Chef and I write a food blog, so we really don't eat out much. Granted, the 3 kids play a big part in that. lol.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. ^^ Long as I have a Wally World I should be fine. Anything I don't buy there as it is I order online and I am in the ATL area. lol (Needless to say I don't shop much. Hate shopping. O.o I'm not a normal woman.)

Ugh, and I hope I don't come off as a b**** but um, food snob here. My husband is Chef and I write a food blog, so we really don't eat out much. Granted, the 3 kids play a big part in that. lol.
Food snob? Uh-oh. The food around here just isn't like it is in the south. The only places around that I've been to that stacks up to food snob standards are Don's in Soap Lake and Micheal's on the Lake in Moses. Don's is an awesome steak house but their seafood selections are also awesome. Micheals will have more selection.

Is your husband going to work in a resturaunt around here? I'd go just to taste food from a good chef.

Also on the Wal-mart issue. You should know that if you see old school buses in the parking lot, it is not a good time to go shopping. The farms and orchards bus their workers in to go shopping at Wal-mart once a week. They obviously don't give them enough time because they all race through the store grabbing beer, toilet paper, and groceries.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Okay, been a bit been waiting on paper work. We are moving, 2 weeks we pull out and are headed up to Moses Lake.

Not worried about a lot of good places to eat, we cook at home most of the time. ^^ Actually 98% of the time, hehe. We tend to be a little over critical of places, comes with the territory. Hubby won't be working for a restaurant. Sadly most restaurants don't pay well enough or have enough benefits for a chef to support a family. Why most are either single or divorced. I am not sure of he wants me going around just get where he will be working, O.o. Granted soon as I get the thumbs up from him I will be shouting it from the roof tops, lol.

Thanks for the heads up on Wally World. That's all I need, go shopping to get run over, not my idea of a good time. lol

How are the schools up there? Trying to figure out where to live now via school district. My daughter is in an advanced program here. My son is in split classes, 1 hour a day to help with his Autism (High functioning end, just a tad emotionally behind.) and the rest of the time he is advanced courses. The schools where we live currently are just wonderful. Great with advanced programs, the high-school actually is implementing an associates degree program just as an example. Wanting to find the best school for the kids.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on Wally World. That's all I need, go shopping to get run over, not my idea of a good time. lol

How are the schools up there? Trying to figure out where to live now via school district. My daughter is in an advanced program here. My son is in split classes, 1 hour a day to help with his Autism (High functioning end, just a tad emotionally behind.) and the rest of the time he is advanced courses. The schools where we live currently are just wonderful. Great with advanced programs, the high-school actually is implementing an associates degree program just as an example. Wanting to find the best school for the kids.
The schools are all in one district. I can't tell you much about the elementaries, but there is only one middle school and one high school. So it doesn't matter where you are for that.

The highschool around here have what they call "running start."
This is a program where the juniors and Seniors take just 1-2 classes at the high school and attend the rest of the time at the local community college, Big Bend located in Moses Lake. So that sounds like it would work for you.
There is a very active autism society here in Ephrata for the county. ASW Grant County Chapter Contact them and they should be able to recommend a school for your son.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Oh I know Big Bend, that is where my husband will be working, so that works for me. lol Thanks for the tip for the Autism Society, I will make sure to contact them. That is my biggest thing with the move is pulling my son out of where he is comfortable.

We leave here in 8 days and should be there in no more than 15. Then we have to find somewhere to live. Fun. I am trying to find places online but there really isn't much at places like Rent.com. We prefer renting for a time before buying anything. I found a couple of places online but haven't been able to really do anything about it since... well I can't see it in person. If you have any suggestions for a place with 3 bedrooms, feel free to let me know! LOL House, duplex or apartment - doesn't matter for us.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Moses Lake trivia: About a decade or more ago there was a proposal to build a huge international airport at Moses Lake that would serve Seattle, and possibly Portland, and Spokane...connected by high speed trains. Imagine how that would have changed Moses Lake. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the proposal died a quick death as being too expensive, mainly due to the "high speed train" element, but also the airport simply being too far from the major metros. Interesting, though.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
We leave here in 8 days and should be there in no more than 15. Then we have to find somewhere to live. Fun. I am trying to find places online but there really isn't much at places like Rent.com. We prefer renting for a time before buying anything. I found a couple of places online but haven't been able to really do anything about it since... well I can't see it in person. If you have any suggestions for a place with 3 bedrooms, feel free to let me know! LOL House, duplex or apartment - doesn't matter for us.
columbiabasinherald.com: Classifieds (http://www2.columbiabasinherald.com/classifieds/rentals_unfurnished/ - broken link)

This is a link to the local paper, There's a couple of possibilities in there.

moses lake apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

The local craigslist.

The easiest access to Big Bend is either off of Stratford Rd or Highway 17. If you can get a place on Stratford north of the college it's a nice rural area that's a really short drive into town.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
columbiabasinherald.com: Classifieds (http://www2.columbiabasinherald.com/classifieds/rentals_unfurnished/ - broken link)

This is a link to the local paper, There's a couple of possibilities in there.

moses lake apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

The local craigslist.

The easiest access to Big Bend is either off of Stratford Rd or Highway 17. If you can get a place on Stratford north of the college it's a nice rural area that's a really short drive into town.
Thank you so much! These are much better than I was able to come up with during google searches! You're a doll!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Well, all moved in. We ended up having to go with Vintage because they were the only place willing to finish all the paper work and such within 48 hours that didn't have some stupid income cap. We figured we would just stay here for a little while and use the next 10 months looking for something larger without having to feel rushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington