Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 28,845 times

Advertisements

interviewing there and was wondering what the city is like? We really enjoy the great outdoors, boating, snow skiing, snowmobiling, camping and riding ATVs. Just wondering how far do we have to drive to do these activities and what is the weather like there?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM

bump....doesn't anyone here know anything about Moses Lake

Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 PM

454 posts, read 905,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitehouseLV View Post
bump....doesn't anyone here know anything about Moses Lake
Sorry. Missed you yesterday.

I have never lived there but have driven through and have a relative that lives there. This area is very nice if you like country settings with a heck of a nice lake.

There is a airforce base, lots of retired folks, farmers.

It snows there and has all 4 seasons. The land is pretty flat, so I think snow skiing would be a couple hour trip to mount spokane. Water sports are the main sport in that area. Camping areas are all over that state of washington.

While I have never lived there, I would have no hesitation empty nesting there.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:00 PM

hey thanks dufferz! I gathered it was pretty flat. I imagine it would be quite a culture shock from Las Vegas. I'm not even sure if it has a Walmart or Home Depot. It looks like you can get into some beautiful country only a couple of hours away (WA or ID). Any idea if the town has much industry or not? Thanks again!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:17 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,517 times
Boating and fishing ... in Moses Lake, you'd be there, and the Columbia River is also nearby. Probably skiing would be Mt Spokane, but there are (or at least used to be) other options north, east, and west. For camping, that's probably literally in all directions from there. Moses Lake is in a geological area called the Channeled Scablands, which has been water-scraped sort of flat, but there are mountains 2-3 hours away in just about all directions.

Moses Lake is decent-sized town. I don't know what its industrial base is. My impression is that you could do your shopping there without having to drive for a couple of hours.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,272 times
Moses Lake has great sand dunes for recreation as well as hundreds of lakes for fishing and water sports. There is a Wal-Mart, Home Depot and a few other chain stores in town. Moses Lake will be booming in the next year, Microsoft and Yahoo are building in a nearby town and many people will be moving into the area for employment purposes. The housing market is fair right now, although I hear housing will sky rocket by June 2007. Moses Lake has all the little fast food restaurants you could ever want and some really nice fine dining as well. Movie Theatre, bowling alley, a rec center for the kids, ice skating, dirt bike tracks and there is a wonderful Parks & Rec Department that the City offers with tons of fun classes, sports teams and activities for both adults and children. There is a Community College as well. I have only lived here for 1 1/2 years and feel like I get the best of both worlds with the luxuries of the big cities at a slower pace. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 PM

thanks University. Its always nice to hear from someone who lives there. So how are the people and the school systems? What do you like best about Moses Lake and what do you like least?

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,272 times
The people here are nice. There is alot of diversity, many hispanic, whites and blacks-all of whom get along GREAT! It is the first year my kids have been in school here and I really like the school system. I have one in grade school and one in Jr. High. They are good schools and I have very high standards because I come from a teaching background. They are actually building one or two more elementary schools in the near future.

Lets see--The thing I like most about Moses Lake is that there are many activities for the kids to take part in. (I mentioned some in the last post) The schools and the city have tons of activities. I really like the convenience of our great water park in the summer and the fact that it isn't expensive to get in.

The thing that I don't like is the extreme weather. Its blazin hot and dry in the summer and bitter cold in the winter.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 19,473 times
sounds like a wonderful place. im considering a move later this year with some friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington