Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM

28,804 posts, read 48,019,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Can people still be pro-active gamers well into their 30s, 40s, and so on?

I mean, I'm a young professional gamer. If I was enployed, I still might be a gamer (little time for it though) even if I was past 40.
Lara came today! Yessssssss......... Just in time for our annual "Play every Tomb Raider Game we Own Festival" Which is every one! We even keep an old PC sitting around to play the oldest games.

We take turns (usually about 30-45 minutes depending on what is happening in the game) and I usually run things like the motorcycle because my wife is not quite as good at it.

Oh, wait you asked about Old Farts and gaming. Sorry, dude!

We're both 60.

Almost forgot: We're trying to decide between the Wii or a PS3 for our next game box. Like the idea of the Blu-ray, and the higher res graphics, but the exercise aspect of the Wii is tempting...

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-24-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,187,883 times
I'm in my early 30s and I'm an avid gamer. I have most of the consoles currently on the market, plus older ones like the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and Atari 2600. I'm good about balancing out my playing with the rest of my life, but once in a while I'll go on a 'video game bender'.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,134,686 times
Default People are as old as their doubts or as young as their dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Almost forgot: We're trying to decide between the Wii or a PS3 for our next game box. Like the idea of the Blu-ray, and the higher res graphics, but the exercise aspect of the Wii is tempting...
The Wii is pretty sweet given its price and the fact that Wii Sports comes packed in with the console. My wife loves the bowling and tennis games and I get a chuckle out of watching her play the boxing mini game. Sure does help her work up a sweat too!

The PS3 is nice if you really want a Blu-ray player but as a gaming machine it’s kinda expensive.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What my wife and I like about the Wii is there aren't a bunch of buttons to push. A, B, and the directions on the plus are all there are! Last thing we do each night is the fitness test on the Sports game disk that comes with it. As of 12:30 AM today, I'm 29! lol

Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 16,064,071 times
I hacked into my psp, so now it's even more exciting to me than when I was playing regular UMD disks. It's the only system I have now. When my fiance and I move in together, we want to get a Wii. Who cares how old you are!

Deep inside i'm a gaming nerd, lol. I always will be...when we have kids I'll be playing video games with them and showing them the awesome old school games I played as a kid I plan on buying all the old systems when I get a bigger place.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,558,110 times
One form of sports gaming I've long promoted, but is being abandoned by EA in their send-up of college football, is 'coaching mode.' I don't want to manually control a player. I just want to call the plays and then let my play and player selection get the job done (or not). I tried to make the point to EA that this would widen the gamer base as players age, because enthusiasts can play the game long past the time when reflexes slow and one is trying to game while eating pizza and keeping one's children from slaying one another.

EA, of course, ignored me; they are all about the me-me-me idea of doing everything they can to put the player as an active participant. Why? Because the younger buying base is less quality-conscious and will mindlessly keep buying their junk as it gets worse each year. (Also, because the typical kid knows that's as close as he or she will ever get to a Division I-A gridiron.) Why actually improve the way the game simulates the sport, which is hard work, when you can get a certain guaranteed amount of sales no matter how crummy your product? Gods, I loathe that company. I didn't buy NCAA 08 or 09 and I'm not buying any more until they give us that mode back.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,608,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
i am in my 30s and i still play. Will be playing with my great grand kids if I am still on this earth.
Same here. Hubby and I are 34 and 26 and we play often. We play L4D with hubby's coworker and his gf, and a couple of +30 engineers from NJ.

We've decided we'll have a good room with comfortable sofas, good sounds, a projector, etc when buying our home. We love videogames!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:20 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,753,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
One form of sports gaming I've long promoted, but is being abandoned by EA in their send-up of college football, is 'coaching mode.' I don't want to manually control a player. I just want to call the plays and then let my play and player selection get the job done (or not). I tried to make the point to EA that this would widen the gamer base as players age, because enthusiasts can play the game long past the time when reflexes slow and one is trying to game while eating pizza and keeping one's children from slaying one another.

EA, of course, ignored me; they are all about the me-me-me idea of doing everything they can to put the player as an active participant. Why? Because the younger buying base is less quality-conscious and will mindlessly keep buying their junk as it gets worse each year. (Also, because the typical kid knows that's as close as he or she will ever get to a Division I-A gridiron.) Why actually improve the way the game simulates the sport, which is hard work, when you can get a certain guaranteed amount of sales no matter how crummy your product? Gods, I loathe that company. I didn't buy NCAA 08 or 09 and I'm not buying any more until they give us that mode back.
You quit buying when you didn't get what you want. Good for you. EA only understands not making enough money.

If you (and since we're talking about older gamers here) recall Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, from back in the day, you could do that. You called the play and the computer ran it. I started doing that when I got too good, running every kickoff back for a TD, etc.

I'll have to see if Madden 06 (the last Madden I bought, and still play) has that mode. I never noticed. If it does they didn't exactly hype the hell out of it like the "Superstar Mode" or whatever.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Hey, I'm mid 50's female and I still get lots of great wii games for Christmas..........Hell's Kitchen, Brain Academy, TV show party. I got the wii fit as an early Christmas gift
My hubby got the new guitar hero (he had the older version). We're both happy

Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 37,096,559 times
I'm still into gaming, but not the one on one stuff like battlefield so much. I'm more into the strategy games like Command & Conquer/Age of Empires type stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games