Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Some people drink for an escape; I play video games, among other things!
I think video games helped keep me from ever becoming an alcoholic. I don't play very well when I'm drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default I'd rather be gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I think video games helped keep me from ever becoming an alcoholic. I don't play very well when I'm drunk.
Drinking dulls the senses while video games stimulate them. For me the choice is clear.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM

93 posts, read 204,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Drinking dulls the senses while video games stimulate them. For me the choice is clear.
So true about mental stimulation. I find that after spending time on a game, my focus is sharper and my problem solving abilities are better. Heck even simple things like logic and memory games do healthy things with the brain.

There are many positive studies about the advantages of computer games. This 2006 study is a good one to mention here. Although Alzheimers patients were the focus of this study, the main point to take away is that brain stimulation at the interactive levels of challenge in a game does condition the brain to be more nimble than more passive forms of interaction and this conditioning is retained for extended periods of time.

In the study below, people were divided into three groups.
  1. People who lived at home and likely had regular household stimulation but did not participate in group sessions or in computer games. (control group)
  2. People who participated in group sessions with arts and crafts, music. (Typical stuff for those who keep active but avoid games)
  3. People who did the group 2 stuff, and also played computer games.
The results? After 12 weeks (about three months with no games) people in group 2 scored better than those in group 1/control, but did not maintain their edge at 24 weeks.

The people that did games (group 3) did better than the controls as well at 12 weeks and they maintained this advantage when tested again at 24 weeks.
(source: Science Blog (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/computer-games-enhance-alzheimers-mental-function-11838.html - broken link))

Gamers keep on keeping on!
http://www.themanandhischeese.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mariorock2.gif (broken link)
(lol, I couldn't find a free GTA forum ani)

Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Can people still be pro-active gamers well into their 30s, 40s, and so on?

I mean, I'm a young professional gamer. If I was enployed, I still might be a gamer (little time for it though) even if I was past 40.
Our family has a game night thursday nights, it has family members, and family friends. We play online lol.... not your typical family game night. my dad is in his mid 50's, my uncle late 40's, and a very good friend of ours who is in his mid 60's! and is a pretty darn good shot in COD4

Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Can people still be pro-active gamers well into their 30s, 40s, and so on?

I mean, I'm a young professional gamer. If I was enployed, I still might be a gamer (little time for it though) even if I was past 40.

heck yes, I am 46 and play, we have other in my guild in WoW that are in their 70's.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:44 AM

249 posts, read 473,429 times
Smile Is it possible for people to still be active gamers when they're older?

I am a women who is 32 yrs old and I play video games. Video games are not my whole world but I still enjoy playing my PS2 and Xbox 360. I work everyday 40hr a week. I use to play WOW but I had to stop playing it, wow is like video crack. It is the type of game that requires dedication and alot of your fee time especially if your in a guild.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
I am a women who is 32 yrs old and I play video games. Video games are not my whole world but I still enjoy playing my PS2 and Xbox 360. I work everyday 40hr a week. I use to play WOW but I had to stop playing it, wow is like video crack. It is the type of game that requires dedication and alot of your fee time especially if your in a guild.

very true, but I do love the game and they did come out with the expansion as well. time to level to 80.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
I'm 35 and enjoy video games on occasion. I recently bought the newest Call of Duty and can't wait to start playing it. The new Tomb Raider comes out this week. I can't wait to buy it and play it.

In addition to the Tomb Raider and Call of Duty games, I also like Medal of Honor, Lord of the Rings games, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Bad Company, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I'm 35 and enjoy video games on occasion. I recently bought the newest Call of Duty and can't wait to start playing it. The new Tomb Raider comes out this week. I can't wait to buy it and play it.

In addition to the Tomb Raider and Call of Duty games, I also like Medal of Honor, Lord of the Rings games, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Bad Company, Heavenly Sword, etc.
I am really loving the new COD game

Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I'm 24 and I still am. I tell my fiance that I'll never stop playing video games, lol. I grew up with them. I'll be buying video games for our future kids and myself I have to admit though, it feels a little strange when my 1st grade students talk about PSP's and all these other systems that I know a lot about lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games