Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I'll be headed up to Jeffersonville on Friday and leaving Sunday (mid morning). What do the models show for those times as respect to travel? Friday will not be anything, but Sunday has got me a bit worried.
I assume Jeffersonville is in VT and not another state.

"right now" (things can change) Friday showing some Lake Effects but nothing too disruptive. Sunday morning there's likely to be delays and tricky roads. Both GFS and Euro show that's when the bulk of the precip happens which would be snow. We just don't know how much yet. If you have the ability to leave Saturday afternoon or Monday morning that's what I would do. Maybe even Sunday evening would work too. Timing and amount is just to far out to say for sure.

Here's an Hourly graph from NWS for Jeffersonville, VT. You can see when the forecasted precip starts.

Use this link to check other areas. Top left enter city, state, then scroll down to bottom right and click "hourly forecast"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I assume Jeffersonville is in VT and not another state.

"right now" (things can change) Friday showing some Lake Effects but nothing too disruptive. Sunday morning there's likely to be delays and tricky roads. Both GFS and Euro show that's when the bulk of the precip happens which would be snow. We just don't know how much yet. If you have the ability to leave Saturday afternoon or Monday morning that's what I would do. Maybe even Sunday evening would work too. Timing and amount is just to far out to say for sure.

Here's an Hourly graph from NWS for Jeffersonville, VT. You can see when the forecasted precip starts.

Use this link to check other areas. Top left enter city, state, then scroll down to bottom right and click "hourly forecast"
Thanks. We might stick it out until Sunday afternoon which should be ok (fingers crossed).

Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
more snow!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Pay close attention to the forecast before you make travel plans. The locals are not even making predictions because the storm is difficult to predict. Best case scenario, the storm will be over by Sunday afternoon, but road conditions may be poor. Worst case scenario, the storm will not end until Monday and road conditions could be poor for a day or so. Typical winters we are a bit ahead when it comes to road conditions. There is usually a salt base on the roads and they are able to clear them quicker with less likelihood of ice. We have had a fair amount of rain up until now and many parts of the state don't have the salt base on the roads. Not to worry you because if you drive careful you should be fine. We have had a higher number of weather related fatalities up to this point. The roads have been icing up even with light snow. Pay attention to the forecast when you decide on departure date/time.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Yes, good advice. I'm telling the CT folks just stay off the roads Saturday. Let DOT do their thing.

Should start Sat morning and continue all day and night and heavy at times. Obviously 1-3" roads are fine but with temps in the teens and 20s 3" or more and it starts getting slushy and accumulating

Sunday will be fine but we'll probably be shoveling most of the day,.

Here's snow depth from GFS18z for Sunday morning. Take 2-4" off VT since it started with 2-4". So assume the storm will dump 6-10" at least

Don't forget to use this tool from NOAA. Point and click the map for location and see how much snow its projecting.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/f...4&mTYP=roadmap

Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Woke up to what seems to be about 3" of fresh snow and it is still really coming down...is this the precursor to tomorrow/Sunday?!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 AM

I pieced together all NWS office snow total forecast for Saturdays major winter storm.

I started a thread on it which I will continue to update if anyone is interested. Feel free to comment or ask questions there. I'll try to check back here if time allows. December 14, 2013 Winter Storm

Report any snow totals to your Burlington or Albany office. Facebook, Twitter, or online submit form. Name, Location, total, time.

Snow Total forecasts from
Burlington: NOAA's National Weather Service - Burlington, VT - StormTotalSnow Graphics
Albany: Winter Storm Graphics

Radar to keep always: RADAR WITH PTYPE

Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
We'll be leaving Jeffersonville Sunday morning at 11 or so. Not too worried. Roads should be decent by them. Truck is loaded with sand and shovel (JIC).

Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
Mr_250 are you sure about that--seems like the brunt of this storm may be on Sunday??

I second the overnight snow fall! Definitely made a difference on the hill. All of my tracks from skiing yesterday are gone. Seems like it has been snowing all week... I think the only day it didn't snow was Wednesday.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 PM

317 posts, read 748,172 times
Is the last sentence a mistake/misprint?

Winter Storm Warning in Northern Vermont

Active for next 1 day, 22 hoursLocations: Caledonia; Eastern Addison; Eastern ... Show more
Posted 3 hours, 16 minutes ago – National Weather Service

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 4 pm Saturday to 4 pm EST Sunday.
The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow, which is in effect from 4 pm Saturday to 4 pm EST Sunday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.

Winter Storm Warning in Northern Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont