Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Nice warm up coming for many but I think New England won't feel the true warmup affects. I really haven't checked details.

I do think there's Ice potential so heads up on that this weekend.

Tom N says :

"If you believe the Sunday morning GFS forecast sounding for Burlington VT, we are looking at a potential ice storm for northern New England. We will need to monitor this very closely, it is such a subtle forecast challenge to predict freezing rain. Research has shown what would be obvious if you thought about it, the biggest factor that separates a garden variety ice event from an ice storm is how much precipitation you can move into that cold air north of the warm front. This system has that potential. Stay tuned..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Hi Cambium, The forecast this morning was calling for some icy conditions and then rain.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
What is the timing of the Saturday/Sunday event? Specifically, what time Saturday night is it expected to start?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Ugh, I'm flying into BTV late Sunday...hope there won't be delays.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Sorry for the delay guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Hi Cambium, The forecast this morning was calling for some icy conditions and then rain.
Yup, watches are up. Be safe. Light stuff today and tonight then gets heavier tomorrow. Some things I see are saying 1/2" of freezing rain, that's not good. I would try to just wait this out. You don't want to be caught on the roads when that ice falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
What is the timing of the Saturday/Sunday event? Specifically, what time Saturday night is it expected to start?
Supposed to get heavier Saturday night into Sunday morning than maybe changing to rain Sunday lunchtime.
Hang on.. trying to get a link and its not working. NOAA link isnt working. I wanted to grab the hourly graph that helps with the forecast timing. Try TWC and look at the hourly. Sometimes I use that. Its good enough when within 24hrs to get an idea on start times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Ugh, I'm flying into BTV late Sunday...hope there won't be delays.
I think you'll be ok late Sunday but to be honest I haven't checked the details lately. Might be rain by then?

Current radar you can see the precip over the area and moving in., It's basically along a front which is waffling north and south of VT. That's why the winter precip then rain then winter again.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
The forecast this afternoon has some snow near the Canadian border which may see a few inches before turning to ice and rain. Central and Southern Vermont should see primarily rain. There is a likelihood of this turning to ice with a high risk of downed trees and power lines. There are flood warnings for Sunday. Central and Southern Vermont are seeing rain right now.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Currently 25 and raining at my house. Icy out there!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Stay Safe guys,

BTV.

"On and off light mixed precipitation will continue this evening and tonight with light snow and ice accumulations. This is creating icy roads in some areas for the evening commute. Additional freezing rain and rain will move into the area for Saturday Afternoon and into Sunday Morning with significant ice accumulations expected"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

And East of VT. That's a wide area of heavy icing. Wow.

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Portland-Gray,Maine

Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 AM

Seeing some crazy pics of the Ice Storm in Oklahoma again this morning, hope you guys make it through ok those of you who get it.

Current Watches and Warnings Map.

There's an Ice Storm Warning in 7 States. VT included
Freezing Rain Advisory in 11 States. VT included

Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 AM

Not good

"POTENTIAL BIGGEST ICE STORM SINCE JAN 1998 TO IMPACT PORTIONS OF THE NORTH COUNTRY TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY"

Prepare now for the impacts of significant icing, especially tonight and Sunday morning

https://twitter.com/NWSBurlington/st...67635996819456

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont