Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which density level would you consider ideal for average city living?
Extremely high density. Above 10, 000 people per square mile 57 37.75%
Medium Density. 3000 ppsm to 10 000 ppsm 64 42.38%
Low Density. 500 ppsm to 3000 ppsm 12 7.95%
no density. below 500 ppsm 18 11.92%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,131,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you get that without being overly dense though. I get all of that in my sprawling city

I disagree, not at the same level - it is the vibrance of the space fueled by the people (i.e density). There is feel that you know, hard to duplicate without the vibrancy

On a simple comparison think of a sporting event, the crowd feeds on the crowd and provides energy, somehow it is a similar concept, not quite sure how else to describe it, but you just feel it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,571,266 times
Quote:
you get that without being overly dense though. I get all of that in my sprawling city
From my apartment I can reach the following within 10 minutes: two full-service grocery stores, a handful of convenience stores, two pharmacies (three if you count one inside one of the full-service grocery stores), about half a dozen auto repair shops, several barber shops/salons, a few watering holes, two dentist offices, a doctor's office, every type of cuisine imaginable from burger bars to taquerias to Moroccan to Afghan to German to Romanian Thai to Chilean to Peruvian to Equadorian, a library branch, several banks, a golf pro shop, two bakeries (three if you count the to-go pastry counter inside the Moroccan restaurant), several liquor stores, two dance studios, two pet supply stores, Romanian/Bulgarian/Latvian/Thai community centers, the Wilco Loft (in case I ever want to lay down my wicked indie licks), 4 or 5 bus lines, and three train stations each of which can have me in the core of downtown in 20 minutes and two of which can have me at O'Hare airport in 20 minutes.

Oh, and when I say I can reach all these things within 10 minutes, I didn't mean by car, I meant on foot. In which part of Houston would I be able to do that?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM

411 posts, read 1,169,328 times
Quote:
People always argue that city A isn't as good as City B because City A is not dense, but haven't people been running away from excessively dense cities?

Over the last 50 years, haven't the denser cities rate of growth been slowing down while the cities which offer more space have been steadily increasing?

I think more people find having a house with a yard for the kids and dogs to run around in more attractive than being packed in like sardines in a townhome or high rise complex.

I know density may be ideal for the younger more fast paced individuals, but some people act like that is everyone's ideal.

what do y'all think?
Actually now people are starting to leave the suburbs and move back into the cities.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,087,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
From my apartment I can reach the following within 10 minutes: two full-service grocery stores, a handful of convenience stores, two pharmacies (three if you count one inside one of the full-service grocery stores), about half a dozen auto repair shops, several barber shops/salons, a few watering holes, two dentist offices, a doctor's office, every type of cuisine imaginable from burger bars to taquerias to Moroccan to Afghan to German to Romanian Thai to Chilean to Peruvian to Equadorian, a library branch, several banks, a golf pro shop, two bakeries (three if you count the to-go pastry counter inside the Moroccan restaurant), several liquor stores, two dance studios, two pet supply stores, Romanian/Bulgarian/Latvian/Thai community centers, the Wilco Loft (in case I ever want to lay down my wicked indie licks), 4 or 5 bus lines, and three train stations each of which can have me in the core of downtown in 20 minutes and two of which can have me at O'Hare airport in 20 minutes.

Oh, and when I say I can reach all these things within 10 minutes, I didn't mean by car, I meant on foot. In which part of Houston would I be able to do that?
Midtown, Montrose, Museum District, Medical Center and other areas starting in M

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Actually now people are starting to leave the suburbs and move back into the cities.
young singles yes. Families no. Which accounts for the loss of total numbers (less people living in the same housing unit)

Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,729,356 times
I don't find 500 per square mile to be no density. Right now I live in the Buffalo suburbs, we are at about 1000, and I find it too crowded. I am from the backwoods, and like it more that way, but there aren't jobs there, so I am stuck here, until I retire to my cabin that is yet to be built in rural Tennessee, in 40 years.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 PM

yeah the numbers were put up in a rush and I didn't think about them much

Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Midtown, Montrose, Museum District, Medical Center and other areas starting in M
Well, let's see... I can't find a single Romanian, Chilean, or Equadorian restaurant anywhere in Houston. I found two Afghan restaurants, neither of which are in (or particularly near) the neighborhoods you list. You can't take a train to either airport, much less do so in 20 minutes; I could find no Latvian, Romanian or Bulgarian community centers, and the Asian grocery store that doubles as the Thai community center isn't anywhere near any of the neighborhoods you list; couldn't find a recording studio in any of the neighborhoods you list; nor a golf shop. It's clear that every one of the neighborhoods you list lack several of these things.

For a disinterested analysis, we can always check out Walkscore which scores various cities and neighborhoods according to the type and quantity of amenities available in those given cities and neighborhoods. There we find Chicago slots in 4th place with a score of 76 out of 100. Houston checks in at 24th with a score of 51. They list Houston at 26th but it's really tied for 24th with Dallas and Tucson. My neighborhood (Irving Park) scores an 80, which is 20th out of 77 Chicago neighborhoods yet higher than all but two Houston neighborhoods (Downtown and the adjacent Montrose) This despite the fact that my neighborhood is about 8 miles northwest of downtown. The median score in Chicago is 71 -- that is, an average ho-hum nothing-special Chicago neighborhood scores 71. Houston has all of four neighborhoods that top this score, two of which are adjacent to Downtown and one of which is Downtown itself.

Same concentration as a high-density city? Nope, I don't think so.

Good game.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM

^^^^^whats all this have to do with anything? Did anyone say Houston and Chicago are the same? NO. so what was all that wind for?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM

It has to do with you getting served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning