Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which density level would you consider ideal for average city living?
Extremely high density. Above 10, 000 people per square mile 57 37.75%
Medium Density. 3000 ppsm to 10 000 ppsm 64 42.38%
Low Density. 500 ppsm to 3000 ppsm 12 7.95%
no density. below 500 ppsm 18 11.92%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

oops i just realized that rome was mentioned as a dense example

This estimates rather high densities for historical cities if you feel like reading the thing

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand...pdf?sequence=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM

57 posts, read 75,573 times
Wow, this thread took a left turn while I wasn't paying attention. If you go back to the time of ancient Rome most of my ancestors were living in one-room houses made of saplings and bark in villages of a couple-dozen people with no running water, electricity, refrigeration, internet.... or for that matter roads, draft animals, livestock, metal tools..... none of which really has anything to do with how people are living on this continent today. And I'm not sure how fallen European cities relate to it either. Current lifestyles are just too different to draw many meaningful parallels.

As far as ancient Rome goes... if I remember my history correctly something like half the population were slaves. I doubt they had the option of relocating to a more rural area if they felt their living conditions were too cramped.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The density in these ancient cities was more like Paris than say Houston or Phoenix. Have a look at ruins like Jericho, Pompeii etc.
Actually, the densities of those cities were more like Houston than Paris. They had a dense core that was 1 or two miles across, but low density areas for miles and miles around the walled inner core.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
oops i just realized that rome was mentioned as a dense example

This estimates rather high densities for historical cities if you feel like reading the thing

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand...pdf?sequence=1
Yes, I believe great cities like Rome was the exception and not the norm.

Nice article by the way. I will read it later.

do you know if the estimates were of the city proper (the walled core) only or does it include everything (the spawl outside of the cities gates)

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Actually, the densities of those cities were more like Houston than Paris. They had a dense core that was 1 or two miles across, but low density areas for miles and miles around the walled inner core.
Possibly, but most people probably lived in the dense core.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Possibly, but most people probably lived in the dense core.
nope. They way it was described for many ancient cities was that the core had a bunch of people living in an area that you could walk across easily in an hour. But outside the core there were what we now call suburbs (residential areas with little to no commerce- usually poorer people who could not afford to live in the walled part) surrounding on all sided.

The last example I read was the one Marco Polo gave of Beijing. He said the inner core was walled and had 12 gates. and at each gate there were communities as large or even larger than the inner core in population.

Unfortunately the outer houses were cheap (not ornate and made of stone like the richer areas, so a lot of these were lost.

The example I gave, AngKor was originally thought to consist of the walled part, but later excavations showed the the city was much much larger, and what they thought was the real city was just an area filled with temples and homes for the rich and priests, etc.

Cities built by the Ancient Greeks and Romans were ahead of their time, I should read up on them

Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Here is a nice discription of what I am talking about:
Early Sprawl, an excerpt from Sprawl: A Compact History by Robert Bruegmann
Quote:
Within the city wall of most early cities, a visitor would see a dense mass of buildings, congested streets, and a rich and highly dynamic urban life offering many choices, at least for those able to afford them. A few miles outside the walls, however, the same visitor might see nothing but croplands and rural villages. The pace of daily activities would be slower, the environment less quick to change, and social and political life completely different.

In almost every era in urban history, however, there was a transitional zone between the two, a region just outside the city that housed activities and individuals that were still intimately connected with the social and economic life of the city but that couldn’t be accommodated easily within the walls. This zone provided space for burial grounds, pottery works, or other industries that were either too space consuming or too noxious to be tolerated within the city itself. It also housed marginal social or political groups and families too poor to afford dwellings inside the walls. In a great many cities, however, this zone also supported activities of a very different sort. Here were the houses of affluent or powerful families who had the means to build and maintain working farms or villas or second houses where they could escape the congestion, noise, contagion, and social unrest that have characterized the center of large cities from the beginning of time until our own day. Sometimes these settlements were permanent, sometimes for seasonal or occasional use. Sometimes they were fairly compact, composed, for example, of small villas surrounded by gardens in a pattern we would today call suburban. In other cases they were very dispersed with imposing houses set on a large acreage, often with a conscious attempt to maintain a rural appearance. These we would call today exurban.
most media attention to ancient civilization focused on the core city, or the rural parts. They often overlook the part in between the two. So it is quite understandable for one to assume that all ancient cities were dense from end to end, because the burbs were not highlighted.

Here is what the article said about Rome:

Quote:
Although this pattern apparently characterized Babylon and Ur and many of the earliest large cities known to us, the best evidence we have comes from ancient Rome. At the beginning of the Christian era, this great city had an estimated population of about 1 million people piled up within city walls that enclosed a little more than six square miles. In other words it had a population of a city like Dallas today but in less than one-fiftieth of the space. This created densities of something like 150,000 per square mile. This kind of density, which would translate to more than two hundred people per acre, seems to have characterized most large, thriving cities up until the beginning of the twentieth century. It is hard for us today even to imagine the consequences of crowding of this order in cities that had, by today’s standards, primitive water delivery, waste removal, and transportation services.

In Rome, as in most other cities until quite recently, this crowding was even worse than the figures suggest because social and economic inequalities were much greater than they are today. A small group of wealthy Romans lived in splendor in spacious palaces that, together with nonresidential facilities, took up most of the space within the walls. This left relatively little acreage for the neighborhoods that housed the vast majority of families. In these neighborhoods apartment blocks were built so densely that they allowed little direct sunlight or ventilation into living quarters. Human wastes disgorged from the apartments into the streets contaminated the soil and water; a vast number of fires used for heating and industrial uses polluted the air. It is not surprising that periodic epidemics wiped out large segments of the urban population. These urban plagues continued in the Western world until well into the twentieth century, and they continue to this day in some large cities in the developing world.
not very flattering.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 PM

174 posts, read 540,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Here is a nice discription of what I am talking about:
Early Sprawl, an excerpt from Sprawl: A Compact History by Robert Bruegmann

most media attention to ancient civilization focused on the core city, or the rural parts. They often overlook the part in between the two. So it is quite understandable for one to assume that all ancient cities were dense from end to end, because the burbs were not highlighted.

Here is what the article said about Rome:

not very flattering.
Thanks for the link, very informative.

We have much better sanitation now and in the the developed world, extremely high densities aren't much of a problem. Plus, not having automobiles curtailed and limited the land outside the city walls which could be developed. Plus, they were laying down stone foundations and roads much more than concrete as we do today (along with asphalt. and the Romans did have concrete, it was only rediscovered in the late 19th century.) When our vast suburban areas are abandoned, concrete slabs will be left across the landscape as that will be the last part of the houses and other buildings to crumble.

And unlike today's exurban residents, those of Thoreau & Muir's time, as well as those of earlier periods, did not say they were living in X large city when they were living in their woodland cabin. And they weren't relying on John Deere or Cub Cadet and a wide variety of chemicals to keep their five acre lawn manicured. I'm not sure how many ex-urban residents have Y2K bunkers though.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
Thanks for the link, very informative.

We have much better sanitation now and in the the developed world, extremely high densities aren't much of a problem. Plus, not having automobiles curtailed and limited the land outside the city walls which could be developed. Plus, they were laying down stone foundations and roads much more than concrete as we do today (along with asphalt. and the Romans did have concrete, it was only rediscovered in the late 19th century.) When our vast suburban areas are abandoned, concrete slabs will be left across the landscape as that will be the last part of the houses and other buildings to crumble.

And unlike today's exurban residents, those of Thoreau & Muir's time, as well as those of earlier periods, did not say they were living in X large city when they were living in their woodland cabin. And they weren't relying on John Deere or Cub Cadet and a wide variety of chemicals to keep their five acre lawn manicured. I'm not sure how many ex-urban residents have Y2K bunkers though.
Oh yeah, I do agree, the modern cities are a lot cleaner and healthier than the ancient ones. I just wanted to refute the claims that ancient cities were not sprawling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning